Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Truck gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36couper, Jun 11, 2018.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I finally installed the hood on my 1940 Ford pickup. I'm surprised how well it fits.

The problem I am having now is the latch. It's not opening far enough to engage the hood that holds the hood down.
    Does anyone know what I could possibly be doing wrong? Do I have the correct latch?
    Do you have any pictures that I can use as a reference?

Attached Files:

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Maybe you have a car hood latch? Check the casting numbers. 01C-...... should be for a pickup.
    After closer look at your handle, I think that may be the case. It looks like a deluxe car handle.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. On my '41 it's a hook that's operated by the handle (it also has a secondary smaller hook latch). Here's some pics I've saved of other peoples trucks (most are '41 but might help). There's was a post on here or Ford barn about a '40 latch.

IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    1940 STANDARD HOOD ASSY.jpg
    1941 V8 hood latch inside hood.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. The handle is '39 deluxe or '40 car as oldrelics pointed out. The p/u handle is smooth.

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Thanks everyone. Very helpful pictures.
    Looks like I will have to buy the correct handle. I hope I can return the one I bought.
    Back to the drawing board.