Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Troubleshoot starting issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

1960 Chevy Bel Air 235 with Holley 4barrel(new12bolt), Langdons HEI setup.Clifford intake
    ENGINE WONT START
    Engine hasn't been started in months. Drained fuel tank & put 5gal fresh.
    On the coil there is a "B" and "D" what wires go where? just want to double check . How to check coil? For spark? at plugs or? should I check for fuel at carb& how? remove fuel line??Using a remote starter switch with key on; won't fire up.

So frustrated that I might be overlooking something obvious

2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Put a tiny amount of fuel right down the carb throat, it could be the fuel pump isn't pulling the fuel from the tank. If it starts and runs for a few seconds at least you'll know what else to look for.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And check for spark at the plugs first instead of anywhere else. It's the last component in the ignition chain, so if there is spark at the plugs you won't need to do any unnecessary troubleshooting.

I'm not sure about the "B" and "D" terminals, could mean Battery (ignition switch) and Distributor.

4. Did the car ever run previously with this same combination of parts? Has it run properly in the past with the stock carb, intake and distributor? Have you ever checked the compression or the cranking vacuum?

RMR&C and rjones35 like this.

5. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yes the car ran before I switched from 2 barrel carbs to the single 4barrel. I will check things out when I get home tonight thank you for the reply’s

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I have spark at the #1 plug . The plugs are extremely fouled. Any recommendation for my engine? 235 w HEI?

7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I only have a little less than 5gallons of gas in the tank. With key "on" used remote start; no gas to carb.I removed the fuel line at the carb.Should I add another 4gallons and go forward ? or is this a sign that I need a new fuel pump?

8. If all plugs are soaked, then youre 180 out on the distributor, you probably stabbed it in incorrectly after the intake change.

9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ordered a new fuel pump. I didn't touch the dizzy at all- before or after. I changed the intake, headers , carb. and now I will replace the fuel pump . Its a new carb; so I am probably going to have to adjust the floats and the idle.

10. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Plugs are not soaked. they are fouled black- I want to replace them also. Any recommendation?

11. It looks like stock it calls for an AC R43s, you could go 1 hotter to a AC R44s or to a NGK BP6S (43) or a NGK BP5S (R44). The long NGK numbers are 3011 (BP5S) and 3111 (BP6S).

12. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Thanks 1oldtimer

13. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

How did the plugs get fouled if the engine was running before you changed parts? Clean the plugs thee best you can with a wire brush and reinstall, then try some fuel directly into the carb with the aircleaner off or get a spray can of starter fluid [ ether]. If you got spark and the timing is right it should run for a few seconds. Ralphie

Gman0046 and dtwbcs like this.
  14. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Turns out I had a bad fuel pump.The car is running again.

Thanks

Ralphies54 likes this.
  15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for posting the cure.

16. My policy with old cars, if they haven't run in a while chances the fuel pump will fail soon, same for water pumps and master cylinders.