Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Local show Pomfret Ct

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AVater, Jun 10, 2018.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2731.JPG IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2734.JPG IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2738.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2738.JPG Aftrr spending the day in the garage working to.get the brakes back on my avatar, Mrs Avatar and I took a ride out in the pickup to the Tri State Crisers event in Pomfret Ct. Nice variety of cars there unfortunately, arriving a bit late many were leaving soon after we arrived. All that being said, we had the good fortune to visit with the owner of a 1932 Willys dump truck that was used in a number of WPA projects during the '30s. While not exactly HAMB friendly I thought that not being aware Willys made large trucks, I thought I would share. Also interesting was a bunch if beautiful '50ish Oldsmobiles. Nice evening!

Max Gearhead, pitman, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Just another history note...that "now a grass corner" was once a very large and popular restaurant called Maygolds. I suppose it went way back to when that Route 44 and then to 101 was one of the main routes to vacations at Cape Cod, Mass, before highways were built.

I was surprised when it was torn down quite a long time ago.

Along those State Routes, there used to be a lot of tiny tourist type food places and roadside State of CT Picnic places like "Frog Rock" that was also closed years ago. But the frog is still there on 44, West of the show. This all dates way, way back when "automobile trips" became popular

Stogy, AVater and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Frog rock appears to be sporting an ice cream stand now. Yes it appears there are a number of places time left behind as the interstates were opened.

FWIW: I learned there is a cruise evening at the Midway restaurant ont the last Thursday of the month.

4. Liked the Olds lineup and the Willys.Thanks.

AVater likes this.

5. Thanks for posting.

AVater likes this.
  6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Never saw such a nice fleet of Oldsmobiles together like that! The blue one was awesome, (heck they all were), The red one had the steering wheel clock and the silver "fastback" was nice to see. The black one--hell that was beautiful too. They all were sans clutch with original looking brake pedals making me think they were all hydros.
    The Willys--never realized they made big trucks. Learn something new every day!

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @AVater for bringing the show to our desktop...;)...its that time of season.

AVater likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

Yes, first one of the season just happened. It starts around 4pm, I was first on scene at 3, then the 76? year old owner of the Corvair came in 5 minutes later..

more local history of this area...Paul Newman and wife Joanne Woodward founded the "Hole in the Wall Gang Camp" for terminally ill kids just up the road from here... many Hollywood celebs have stopped at the Midway as a result...some of them are listed on the Midway webpage..
    DSCN0435.JPG

below is Terry of the local trans shop,,one of the main guys who founded this meet...his son now owns my old Boston built Olds powered 1930 chev chop/channeled roadster pickup..built in 1959 -1960
    DSCN0436.JPG DSCN0437.JPG DSCN0439.JPG DSCN0440.JPG
    409 4 speed 61 below, other pics further down of it's motor and such.
    DSCN0441.JPG DSCN0442.JPG DSCN0443.JPG DSCN0445.JPG DSCN0446.JPG DSCN0447.JPG DSCN0448.JPG DSCN0449.JPG DSCN0452.JPG DSCN0454.JPG DSCN0455.JPG

The girl below....she and her guy stopped at one of my tag sales earlier this year. She bought a ton of old iron "stuff" to make "bigger stuff out of"!! The burn is from huge roller chain that she used to make the legs for this bird...lol. One person I showed the pic to, asked if she did the burn on purpose...like a tattoo thing?....NO!...it was a accidental mistake, like all of us have done..
    DSCN0457.JPG DSCN0458.JPG

9. Bet that Corvair would give Ralph Nader a fit!!!Thanks for the pics.

AVater likes this.
  10. swifty

swifty

Thanks for the pics.

AVater likes this.