Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need recommendation for soldering iron

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6inarow, Jun 6, 2018.

1. squirrel

squirrel

We don't seem to have that problem around here....normal unprotected crimps last forever, even under a car.

2. We live in some pretty different environments. Around here, driving in the early spring, a good rain will unleash any salt left on the road from winter past. Any unprotected metal or wiring will pay the price later on in life. :(

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have traced many electrical problems back to a failed crimp in my forty year career, some of them “ factory”. I have never had one of my solder/crimp fail. Had some solder connections fail in electronic devices, but those were poor soldering jobs.

Bones

4. squirrel

squirrel

There are "factory" solder connections in cars that fail, too.

Either way, crimp or solder, you have to do a good job, or it could fail.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The Weller soldering guns are great for automotive work, but suck for electronics. For guitar/bass effects pedals you want a soldering station as others have already posted. You can use the station for automotive work, but it's a pain in the ass, not recommended. You really need 2 different tools for the 2 different jobs.

I do a lot of amplifier repairs, modifications and building my own amps, I use one like this and have worked on hundreds of amps over the past dozen years or so: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weller-WLC100-40W-120V-Solder-Station-With-ST3-Tip/19281561 I prefer a pointed tip vs a chisel tip for this kind of work. You'll be working in a tight environment, you want to concentrate the heat to just the joint you're working on, without heat soaking the pcb traces or other components. It sucks when you ruin another component while trying to solder one in. The pcbs in an fx pedal are tiny and compact. A nice fine point is what you want, and you can resharpen it when it gets dull.

You'll also want some tinning compound, I like Nokorode, I've used it for decades, great stuff. https://www.rectorseal.com/nokorode-955-pre-tinning/

A clean tip is mandatory for good soldering, before you start soldering take the time to get it all cleaned up and freshly tinned, your soldering will go much better. One thing you don't want with electronics is crappy soldering!

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

^^ You need a permit for that? :)

I use an old Wen single post gun that I really like but tips are no longer available.

6inarow and Truck64 like this.
  8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Thanks Truck64, that brought back some memories. My Dad had an iron similar to that but a little bigger that I used to warm up the oil in my BSA in the morning so my skinny ass could kick it over. Actually, in the morning I still had to coast down the hill to get it started at 20 degrees. Now I don't start the bike until it is sunny and 75, yeah gone candy ass for sure or maybe smarter. No, not smarter, if that was the case I wouldn't be riding at all. Thanks again.

Truck64 likes this.
  9. 6inarow

6inarow

Well just as a follow up I bought a weller soldering station. I have an Iroda gas and an old electric iron. but neither would do what I needed so I bought a little Weller and think I have all the bases covered from small electric circuits to stained glass.

Thanks all for the comments. I like this place