Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can this Ford 9 inch work in my 31 Ford model a coupe project?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hardtail75, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hey guys. I don't know much about rear ends but I was hoping this might work. The diff is offset.

If the pic is not good enough I'll take more.

It would be put into a stock 31 frame. Thanks IMG_2077.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

smokeman likes this.
  2. I can't tell what kind of tear end it is from the picture. I'm running a 9" from a 67 Galaxy in my 31 Coup. It's a nice fit.

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to measure it to see how wide it is. Early broncos have a 9 inch that is perfect for Model A's. If it is from that scoop it, unless you have the skills to shorten it, then grab it anyway. Too wide doesn't look right in an A.

LOU WELLS and Kan Kustom like this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Deepens on wheel, tire combo, fenders?

LOU WELLS and Just Gary like this.

5. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hey guys. I measured 57.5" from inside backer plate to backer plate.

Not sure on combo of rims tires. I want to go with something old looking.

Was hoping to chop and channel, fenderless. If that helps at all.

Thanks.

6. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Here is pic of diff. IMG_20180609_172438.jpg

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the diff. looks upside down even though the brake lines are on top...
    maybe a high clearance mud puller ? wouldn't it turn backwards ?
    Early bronco 9" is 51.5"ish... from the innermost backing plate to innermost backing plate... and is truck bolt pattern...
    maverick 8" is 49.5"ish... and is car bolt pattern...
    I would not want one any wider than the bronco as 225r15"s on STOCK rims will just clear a bobbed fender...
    pic shows the rim could be offset [in] or a narrower rearend... DSCN1128.JPG

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every Ford 9 inch that I have seen has had the pinion down near the bottom of the case and over to the left side. If that last picture were flipped over 180 degrees it would look closer to normal for a 9 inch but then the vent and brake lines would be hanging off the bottom. I don't think thats a 9 inch. If you can remove all the bolts with a socket and ratchet then its not a 9 inch. You need to use a wrench to remove the 2 bottom bolts on a 9 inch.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Yes Gordon c,
    joe brown swears by the 2 bottom nut thing... when I look close I see a nut that you would need a wrench to get at behind the brake line... appears there is another hidden by the pinion flange...
    maybe a wanna-be just didn't know and attached the brake line and vent like it looks under his buddy's truck not knowing the rearend was upside down...
    ... does have a funky yoke and an odd rodend receiver welded on top...

10. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hey guys thanks so much for the information. Every little bit helps.

Sorry if the rear end is upside down, I just took it as is. What I do know is the previous owner said they were trying to make this a rear end for a Harley trike build but gave up on the project. Perhaps that is why many things look odd to you guys? I don't know what to look for so I assumed it was okay.

At any rate if this doesn't work I'll get pics of a banjo I have lying in the field tomorrow. I think it might be from the 1950s + so it may be suitable for a a modern engine?

Thanks everyone

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2018-6-10_8-3-47.jpeg upload_2018-6-10_8-6-14.jpeg
    9" housing with driver's side bulge for crown wheel, pinion is on opposite RH side. If you can't fit a socket on this carrier nut it's a 9", with an 8" you can fit a socket. There are 10 x studs in 9" housing for carrier and 5 x pinion bolts. Looks like a 9" to me however the backing plates are upside down as is the vent tube.:confused::confused: Maybe there is no crown wheel and someone just through a bare centre in the housing? What is the bolt pattern?

upload_2018-6-10_8-3-20.png
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/9InchAxles.shtml

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Sounds pretty wide about right for a 70s pickup what's the bolt pattern? That rear end could be the hot set up for Corvair power.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  13. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

5.5"

14. Maybe they put the punkin ball in upside down.

15. Budget36

Budget36

I was just thinking that. Never tried it, but looking at the BP on the chunk, is does look like that might be possible.

16. four5four

four5four
    from omaha

56" measured across wheel mounting surface with 40 wheels.

Attached Files:

17. alchemy

alchemy

Be aware the pumpkin should probably be centered to fit under an A spring. An offset pumpkin will be too close to one side of the spring. The width is a whole nuther matter, which only you can judge based on your wheel offset and how low the body will be to the axle.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

See the one webb [middle of chuck, right side] that where it meets the case there is a slight "hook"..Makes me think it is a 9-3/8 gear but the pinion retainer is a little larger dia than the 9"...No problem other than desert gears..The 5.5 bc says pick up which can be as much as 4.11 if its really a 9"..

19. That looks like some sort of industrial application. Note the absence of any suspension mounts other than the one on top of the pumpkin (if that's what its for). Plus the oddball 'driveshaft' remnant and upside-down mount... I see this as being the drive axle for some sort of 'tug' at a boatyard or small airport, or something along those lines. I know Ford sold 9" rears for 'other' applications because I've seen a few. Some industrial 'golf carts' built in the US in the '50s and '60s used them (I worked two place that had fleets of them, all with 9"s).

20. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Hey guys I'm sorry I forgot to tell you all this. It's been years this has been sitting so I didn't remember. So when my father and I picked this up it had ladderbars and custom suspension mounts that the previous owner built for his trike setup. It's been cutoff so that is why it has looked odd. We were going to put a leaf spring setup for a Pontiac originally.

Anyway if it it's too obscure or not right I took photos and measurements of what I think is a banjo in another project car we have. 35 Ford coupe.

It's 53" wide from what I can tell, was a tad difficult to measure . And the bolt pattern is 4.25".
    I was told this would be ok for a 50s hemi or older small block Chevy ?

Would this be ok to put into the 31? IMG_20180610_090006.jpg IMG_20180610_085939.jpg IMG_20180610_085928.jpg IMG_20180610_085919.jpg IMG_20180610_085739.jpg

bighemifan likes this.
  21. manyolcars

manyolcars

That picture looks like a 1950 rim and the axle may be too. The axle looks like my 54 Ford. Width may work

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look at the back of the housing no room for the ring gear to flip

23. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Ok. So from what I am told it would not be a banjo then since they stopped in 48.

24. aaggie

aaggie

Just my opinion but quit wasting time with rusty old junk. Check out the 8.8 rears under Ford Explorers. You only have to shorten one side to center the pinion and use two short side axles to keep it cheap. You will have a rear almost as strong as the 9" but with modern disc brakes and cheap readily available parts, most were 3.73 ratio and had posi traction. One other advantage is the axle tubes are thicker steel.

X38 and 1946caddy like this.
  25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I second the Explorer idea. As pictured with the pinion on top the only time the car would move forward is if the trans was in reverse.

26. I narrowed this '68 F100 9" rear ( 61" WMS/WMS) to 56 1/4" WMS to WMS , housing to 51 1/4" .This is going in my '30 A coupe with fenders
    However , if I had to do it over , I d do as " aagie " & "coilover " say in the above posts and go for the 8.8...Much easier , cheaper to do and readily available stock parts
    IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may be a high mount Ford 9 inch front axle center section in a rear axle housing.
    The hacked off stub of driveshaft kind of looks like the front driveshaft for a 4x4 when you study it a bit.
    If they were building a Corvair powered trike that front high mount axle stuck in a rear axle housing would have matched the Corvair's rotation without flipping the axle over as most Corvair powered trikes end up with. My guess is that is what their thinking was and that is what it is. Great if you want to have more than one speed in reverse and one speed forward with a regular rotation engine.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That old Dodge or Plymouth rear axle you posted in post 20 will probably work as it is a bit later axle with the flanged rather than splined axles. Problem there is that Mopar only U joint. Scroll down to the diagram of Universal joint cross type as that I what I am pretty well positive fits that flange. https://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-universal-joint.aspx It may not be as hard to deal with if the other trunions of the joint are a match for a common U joint that fits Ford and or Chevy but you stand a chance of having to get the driveshaft to match.

Guys thowing out lame suggestions to forget the rusty stuff and run out and spend a thousand or two on a fresh rear axle, remember he is in Canada and may be hell for gone away from shops that can build anything like that.

29. Mark T

Mark T

I have to disagree with Mr48chevy, the rear you posted above is a Ford rear used from approximately 1949-1956.

Its not very strong at all if your planning on putting any horse power in front of it.

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]