Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with in intake problem.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleyjohn45, Jun 7, 2018.

1. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I have an offenhauser intake on my 8BA and it has put my fan and alternator 3/4" too far to the left. My fan has actually gotten into the lower water hose and caused a leak. Is there a fix for this other than replacing the manifold. I've consider trimming 1/2" off the fan blades. I have a 6 blade fan, so that might be an option. Have you heard of an offset alternator bracket.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I bet it's not the intake's fault. I can't figure that Offy would make their intake with an offset (but I have been wrong before). Can you measure and compare to the original intake?

Maybe the alternator bracket was intended for a different setup?

3. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Thanks for the reply. The bracket was correct, the intake sits off to one side, I understand Offenhauser did this to have 4 carbs or something like that. My intake is for a four barrel. The original was a ford for a 2 barrel.

I suppose my choices are to buy a new intake, get an electric fan, or trim off my fan blades. Not a good choice in the lot.

4. Offenhauser does that on their four-barrel intakes. I can't say why but I do know that Edelbrock does not.

5. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

You can modify the alternator bracket to get it in the middle, but the fan problem is a royal mess.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

A slight trim on the fan blades like 1/2" will be the easiest and wont harm them.:)

7. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I have a similar one of these manifolds also but I couldn't identify the brand of the manifold because there were no markings of any kind. I am running a 32 grill shell with a Walker radiator using a four blade fan from an F-1 pickup. Everything clears OK but it does make the fan real close to the left side of the grill, like you don't want to put your hand in that area if it is running. My manifold however is for two strombergs. I would carefully measure and scribe the fan and trim it about a half inch. I tried to use a six blade but it was too close for comfort. I ran the Speedway alternator bracket and after trimming on the alternator case I was able to get the pulleys to line up and then had a hell of a time getting belts to fit. After all that though, the engine runs about 175 degrees all the time. I'm happy!

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i have a sharp intake .also off center to the left.

9. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Thanks everyone, I did take 1/2" off the fan blades. I was toying with the idea of putting on a fan shroud. The engine has rust in the block which I'm treating with Thermocure. The engine heats up to 180 pretty fast and if I slow down it goes back to 160.