Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another one found. ‘32 3w.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cretin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. redzula

redzula

But what if it was his cell phone number ;););)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Pinstriper40 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

What makes you think the guy was in jail?

Torkwrench and redzula like this.
  3. cretin

cretin

I've been meaning to update this thread, but haven't been on here too much.
    Troy has been talking with John Dewar's brother, and we have gotten some more info.
    Apparently, when they got the coupe, some of the work was already done, someone else had made the rear bumper. It had a different olds in it which explains the cutouts for exhaust in the fenders. The old Olds had a 6x2 on it, and the fuel logs for that are still with the car. They put a new olds in it, and took it to dyne with the 6x2, but they changed it to the 3x2 currently on it by recommendation of the tuner.
    It also won a local show in Pasadena shortly after the work they had done to it. Unfortunately, he can't find the trophy, and old photos got destroyed.

That's the info we have now. The car just got exhaust, and some new tires arrived today. It may be back on the road next week!

Malcolm, brad2v, Countn'Carbs and 6 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look forward to the finalization of the selective, respecting makeover for the Ole Hotrod...Its to bad about the other historical losses...Great stuff @cretin

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    cretin and loudbang like this.
  5. cretin

cretin

So today was pretty cool. John Dewar's surviving brother who helped build the car came to the shop today to see the first drive the care has made since at least '62. Unfortunately, due to leg problems, he wasn't able to participate in the drive. But, none the less, the Dewar coupe lives again! I don't have the first drive on video, and there will be a video with John Dewar's brother (I'm sorry, I didn't catch his name) and Troy talking about the car, that will show the first drive. I won't leave you guys hanging though. Here are a couple other videos.

-Brent-, lucky ink, LOWDUG37 and 19 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic work @cretin to you and the team. Just a heartwarming outcome for this gem of a story. Sounds and looks fantastic. I'm sure you fellas are going to do some more detailing and things but just like that...neato...thanks for the personal stuff behind the scenes. I'm sure you being where you are see these moments quite often but always varied. Cheers to Dusting her off...;)

7. alchemy

alchemy

There's NOTHING cooler than that! If I was driving that you couldn't wipe the smile off for days.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, that car is just so damn cool. Congrats on getting it running and driving!

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got that groovy feeling just watching and hearing her. Way to go you guys!

10. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Bring it out to the Early Rodders gathering tomorrow morning!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Christa Bailey

Christa Bailey

His name is Robert "Bob" Dewar. As mentioned he is my uncle John's brother. I am very pleased that Mr. Ladd has chosen to refer to this car as 'the Dewar Coupe' it would have thrilled my uncle John no end to know this.

I'm so glad the car has ended up with someone who appreciates it as much as Mr. Ladd does as well.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moving story all around. These types of builds and restorations of sorts have played out here many times. Always special in their own ways. This is one of those stories @cretin has been so kind to share with us. We treasure them as well. Thanks for your involvement in this journey. We also look forward to Troy's continued journey carrying the Torch forward where Your Uncle left off. Simply something I'm sure he would have wished for this unique Show Rod. Thank you again and condolences to you and your family on your loss of Uncle John.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    stanlow69, cretin, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  13. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

14. cretin

cretin

Troy gets all the credit for getting the coupe back on the road, he did all the work on his free time.
    I don't see these moments all that often, we aren't normally bringing an old original car back to life, and very cool to see one of the builders see it drive for the first time again. I wish I got to see those moments more often. So cool!

Christa, Thank you for providing Bob's name, and my apologies for not getting the name before adding to the story. Very glad Uncle John would have loved that we appreciate the cars history. Really, it wouldn't be right to call the car anything but the Dewar Coupe. Condolences on the loss of uncle John.
    The car is definitely appreciated, and will be shared with future generations.

brad2v, j hansen, Malcolm and 5 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@cretin...Happy New Year a little belated. Hope the new pad is working out for you.

Just wondering how the Coupe situation is evolving. Any new leads or info. I am still looking for stray shots of it in vintage pics I encounter but nothing yet...some remind me of it but certain differences quickly eliminate matches.

Anyways just curious and hey if nothing's changed seeing a couple more shots of it would be nice...;)

loudbang likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ X2

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. cretin

cretin

@Stogy, thank you, happy belated new year to you as well.
    The new pad is working out great, I’m very close to an operational garage. Hopefully I’ll have something to post on my own stuff very soon.

There have been no new leads. There really hasn’t been much contact since Bob came to the shop. No photos have turned up.
    The car will be at our booth for GNRS, so who knows if anything will turn up from that.
    Thanks for keeping it in mind when you’re searching photos. Some period photos would be amazing!

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. 30trad

30trad

Any more news on this fantastic car

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  19. I just left Greg shifanos estate sale. Pretty impressive stuff. San Luis Obispo ca

20. cretin

cretin

I’m sorry to hear he passed.
    Did you end up with anything interesting?

loudbang likes this.
  21. banjorear

banjorear

Incredible. Such a nice car.

loudbang likes this.