Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big truck rear and new project A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4b316, Jun 8, 2018.

1. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Just got this dragged out of the bushes and was hoping for a little info. Gas tank is in the cowl, 20 inch wire wheels,12 leafs in the front spring. Transmission has a unit bolted to the back of it, a overdrive? I'll get some pics when I get it home, was it a truck or car?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Looks like a '28-'29 Ford AA (1 ton truck).

3. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

It has like a rocker pedal in front the seat that goes back to the overdrive unit?

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looks like a mixup of parts to make the truck. Some 28 - 29 chassis parts for sure. The unit behind the trans is a "hi/low" unit not an overdrive.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

More close up pic's would be nice, especially of the tranny split box you speak of...

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

More info on "fordaatruckcenter" , but that is a mix of '28 through '31 AA parts.

osage orange likes this.
  7. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

I'm going to try to get it home soon then I can take some more pics.I thought the gas tank in the cowl was only to cars?

8. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Looks like it was shortened to make a doodle bug, a junkyard substitute for a tractor. I remember them being called a farm donkey where I grew up. Not for heavy work, but could pull hay wagons and such. The low range unit is handy for field work.

brad2v and Just Gary like this.
  9. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Super. Jeg skal nemlig bære / Slæbe konen rundt. Hun fik nyt knæ i mandags det driller

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Sorry. That comment just "slipped in". Ignore it

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. That is called a “Doodlebug”, often times people would assemble these creations because they could not afford a tractor. It’s not uncommon to see one with two transmissions to get the gearing low enough for plowing. Most of the time, Ford was the power of choice due to availability.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. finn

finn

My cousins also referred to them as “Jokers”, but doodlebug was the common name.

Used to be common in the late fifties and early sixties. Many had a long iron pipe extending over a fulcrum to lift a home made snow plow. Seemed fairly effective, to my foggy memory.

Most got scrapped thirty years ago around here.

13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Cool score.
    I don't see anything that looks AA to me. Grille shell and front axle are passenger car, I believe. Rear end could be from any truck, not necessarily Ford.

14. look again. front wheels are AA. frame is AA.

Hotrodmyk and Hnstray like this.
  15. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Frame is heavy, but any AA I've seen had disc wheels, not spokes. Maybe early ones were spokes, never had any interest in AA's so never paid much attention. Thought I had deleted that first response because it was a quick reaction and I don't know much about them.

16. Must have been a gasser. Look at the angle of the hood.

17. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Yes, it still has the cables in the back where they hooked up the graphooks to skid wood. I was looking eslewheres and it said that the frames are the same as the cars in the ton trucks?i haven't got it home yet but going down soon to take some more pics

18. Truck and car frames are not the same. 28s had wire wheels and the high/low, since the four speed had not been developed yet. All Model A Fords carry the fuel in the cowl

Hnstray and brad2v like this.
  19. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Stopped and took some more pics

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Boy, you sure plenty of leaves in that front spring, must ride like it was solid...
    Thanks for the extra pic's.
    You got 28 truck wire wheels, but car front axle, the trucks had a heavier axle.
    The diff is a 28/29 style.
    Could not pick what the split tranny was but some others will know.
    Looks like it is made up of several model A truck and car year parts.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find! That is an early frame with the solid cross member to engine mount, and the early AA 20 inch wire wheels. Drums are different than car but all the brake parts up front are the same. Some early AA drums had Left and Right threaded lug nuts, they may be marked. If they won't loosen, turn them the other way. Worm drive rear it will be a slow moving machine. Bob

flatford39 likes this.
  22. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

What's that little ball thing that rest against the front spring?

23. that is where the shock link attaches.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if the rear motor mounts on an AA differ from the car mounts? Those are different or the tops are broken. Bob

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Early '28s DID have the car axle but used the truck brakes & hubs(also used car kingpins). Many were recalled due to breaking in service due to being too light duty, & were changed up to heavier spindles as well, with a redesign to larger kingpins that carried over to the "BB" trucks as well. This looks to be a '28 unit that missed the recall. Another point is the 'worm drive' rear end : '28 to early '29(some early '29s were still worm, but later were 'bevel gear'). Way more info over on "fordaatruckcenter/forums/forums" for those that missed the reference earlier. The picture shows a fairly complete '28 truck front end(the '28 did have shocks that mounted to those balls, later years not). Also note the light bar mounts are the original '28 cast fender mounts with the ends cut off. It does have '30/'31 bumper(probably off the car the radiator shell came from?)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  26. Exactly

27. flatford39

flatford39

The 28's also had front shocks. See if the spring perches have an AA cast on them. They are different from the passenger cars as the ball is slightly higher and are hard to come by.

Those are 28 AA wire wheels. Be careful with them. Those split rims are widow makers....although I suspect yours are rusted (bonded) together. Good wheels are worth about $50.00 apiece. Some people pay a lot more.

The rear end is the worm drive. They had two styles. A high speed and a standard speed. The high speed is always in demand.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""The rear end is the worm drive. They had two styles. A high speed and a standard speed. The high speed is always in demand.""

Like 7:1 and 10:1 ?

29. flatford39

flatford39

Those are the exact same rear motor mounts that my early 28 AA Express truck has.

The37Kid likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are the '28 AA bumper brackets longer than car brackets? I had a '28 AA with wires and long aprons and rear fenders with the rack body. It was a U.S. Mail bulk hauling truck, doors were lettered and front tires branded U.S. Mail, had the high speed rear looked like a standard A but three times larger. Bob