Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edged tools aka knives................

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by safariknut, May 15, 2018.

1. Ever since I nearly sliced my finger off at the age of eight while trying to open my grandfather's pocket knife(which I still have) without his permission of course, I have been fascinated with just about anything that has an edge.
    I was finally allowed to purchase my first knife at the age of ten(with my grandfather's permission this time)and that is still in my possession although it went missing for nearly 25 years(a long story). Since then I have accumulated more than a few edged tools of all types.
    I don't collect any particular style or brand of knife as others are wont to do but rather whatever happens to,"trip my trigger" at the moment. They range in size from less than 1/2" long closed to monsters that measure a foot or more. Some of my non folding knives are closer to swords in size.
    I mostly prefer to collect older knives although some of the newer ones can be pretty nice too. My oldest knife dates to the mid 17th century and was a gift from a good friend.
    So without further ado here are some of my edged tools for your viewing pleasure. Please feel free to comment or post any you might have.
    The first two knives are both from the 17th century: A Persian jambiya with carved ivory handle and companion dagger encased in a wooden sheath covered in figural lizard skin.
    The second one is a phia-kaetta from Ceylon with carved silver guard and pomnmel cover.
    Next is a pair of Moro keris daggers from the Phillipines made of meteorite iron.
    Then we have a couple of pieces from a pair of knifemakers from Texas and Colorado(the Nolen brothers)who sadly are both gone;although their son is carrying on the tradition.One is a belt buckle of silver with a removeable blade and the other a bolo tie that the knife is fixed.
    Next a group of miniature folding knives.The background is 1 inch squares(which I use all the time)to give an idea of size.
    On the other extreme are a couple of large folding knives;the four blade being of recent manufacture while the other sometime in the 19th century. Jambiya8.jpg Phia-Kaetta.jpg Keris2.jpg BeltBuckleKnives 001.jpg NolenBros.BoloTieKnife3.JPG Minis010.jpg BIGKNIFE 001.jpg BigKnives2016 001.jpg

2. Vanness

Vanness

some SHARP pieces there!! My wife and father In law sell pocket knives. They only sell Pennsylvania made knives. They are sharp as hell!! I’m not much of a knife guy, but I have learned over the years. I take pictures so she can post them on her website. Check em out
    Www.fallscreekantiques.com. I want to start putting my car parts online too. FYI - trying to open a little antique shop for her in sumMer as she is a teacher ...

3. Appears to be some nice knives although they are all new. HRP

4. I collect used knives,what I look for are knives that are owned or have been owned by people I have know,some were carried for years others were seldom used. HRP

5. Vanness

Vanness

Oops lol. I have old ones also that I come
    Across when I go to shows and swap meets. Lol. Those I’ll snap some pics of.

6. Been doing some re-shooting of my accumulation as the last time I photographed them was about 6 years ago and the collection has grown a bit since then.
    The following pics are of my large storage cabinet;an old typographer's cabinet my wife bought me about 20 years ago. She figured it would take me awhile to fill it up(silly person!).Since then I have added several other machinists' tool boxes and some suitcases for larger items.
    On this particular cabinet the twenty four drawers are 32 inches wide by 16 inches deep and an inch high. There are some empty spots but only because I am re-arranging things a bit. Drawer2-2018 001.jpg Drawer3-2018 001.jpg Drawer4-2018 001.jpg Drawer5-2018 001.jpg Drawer6-2018 001.jpg Drawer7-2018 001.jpg Drawer8-2018 001.jpg Drawer9-2018 001.JPG Drawer10-2018 001.jpg Drawer11-2018 001.jpg Drawer12-2018 001.jpg Drawer13-2018 001.jpg Drawer14-2018 001.jpg Drawer15-2018 001.jpg Drawer16-2018 001.jpg Drawer17-2018 001.jpg Drawer18-2018 001.jpg Drawer19-2018 001.jpg Drawer20-2018 001.jpg Drawer21-2018 001.jpg Drawer22-2018 001.jpg Drawer23-2018 001.jpg Drawer24-2018.jpg

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Very nice.

8. HOLY COW! :eek:

That's one heck of a collection,have you ever counted them? HRP

9. IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2593.JPG A few I have come across over the years. One of the two in the first picture saved my Dad's life. Not sure witch one. While on a training mission in the Pacific his parachute tried to deploy and he was still strapped in his rear gunners seat of a Dauntless SBD. Frantic cutting kept him from being ripped from the plane.
    More Military knives from WWII to Vietnam
    Two my company gave me years ago
    and a few others I could find

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  10. Nice assemblage Wraymen! The top knife in the first pic looks handmade;love the handle! The one under it looks like an early version Fairbairn Sykes. Is that candy striped one a Western? The handmade knife in the bottom pic is very nice;was it made by someone you know?

11. Yes to all four questions. I'm guessing he picked up the Fairbairn Sykes in Australia. I'm not sure where the top knife came from. I just know he carried it during the War. The home made one at the bottom was made for a friend of mine. He ended up giving it to me because I admired it so much. The guy that made it lived in Annapolis and also made black powder rifles. I have one of those also but can't remember his name to save my life.

I'm still looking at your pictures, trying to see if I have any. Remarkable collection to say the very least.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

At the risk of being raided and arrested. If you are 18+ years old and know your state laws they are all available as a hole or part!..............................

Attached Files:

13. Very impressive collection of autos!!!!! I have quite a few but these three are my favorites.
    The first one is unmarked and has an unusual top release for the lock and horn handles.The guard is also a shotgun shell extractor. AutoKnife 002.jpg AAMarksPressButton1.jpg Schrade7404K w clip m blade.jpg Likely from the late 1800's.
    The second is the centerpiece of my collection of automatics: A Press Button Knife Co. one armed man's knife with fancy aluminum handles and a blade etch that says:" Compliments of A.A.Marks Co. Newark NJ Maker of Artificial Limbs" These were supposedly given free to Spanish American War veterans who lost an arm or hand in the war.
    The last one is a Schrade double switchblade with butter & molasses handles that came to me in it's original purse. It belonged to a friend of mine's grandmother who kept it in her sewing basket and used it to cut thread. The blade edges were worn flat from use and if you look closely at the handles you can see where thread had been dragged across them wearing grooves in the handles. I elected to leave it as is rather than sharpen it and destroy the originality.

Ron Funkhouser and wraymen like this.
  14. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

The 39 is on hold while I try and make these Sgian Dubs for father's day.
    They're forged from a spring from grandpa's model A and will have Fender rosewood freetboard scales that my dad stole when he worked there.
    I'm way out of my league, so wish me luck. 1528182243537.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  15. 30 years ago I was digging around in my dad's tool box when I found this big Case folder. It was all rusty and when I showed an interest my dad said "take it...it's yours".
    It's nothing fancy or rare but has sentimental value for me. I use it as a letter opener at my desk and think of my dearly departed dad every time I use it. Knife.jpg knife2.jpg

16. Nice one Rocky! Looks like a 6265 model from the 60's.Should be stamped on the back of the master blade.
    Instant T : Looks like your little stocking daggers will be great!

17. Right you are! Stamped 6265 SAB on the big blade, alright. SAB must mean "stick and bury", right?

18. From a Case knife site:
    CC= Blade will have a concave grind. see illustration

D = Blades made from damascus steal.see illustration

DR = Rear bolster will be drilled for lanyard. see illustration

EO = The knife will have an easy open feature. see illustration

F = The knife will have a file blade or a fisherman’s blade.

HP = This knife will have both a sheepfoot blade and a spey blade. see illustration

HE = This knife will have a sheepfoot and pen blade. see illustration

I = The knife will have iron liners.

J = The knife will have a long spey blade.

K = The knife will have a corkscrew. see illustration

L = The knife will have a locking mechanism. see illustration

P = The knife will have a punch blade. see illustration

PEN = The knife will have a pen blade. see illustration

PU = The knife will have a punch blade. see illustration

R = There will be a bail in the handle, or the knife will have a razor blade.

RAZ = The knife will have a razor blade or one armed man blade. see illustration

SAB = The blade will be saber-ground. see illustration

SHAD = The knife will not have bolsters. see illustration

SC = The knife will have a pair of scissors. see illustration

SICS = The knife will have a pair of scissors. see illustration

SP = The knife will have a spey blade. see illustration

SS = The blades and springs will be stainless steel.

SH = The knife will have a sheepsfoot blade. see illustration

S = The knife will not have bolsters. see illustration

SSP = The blades and springs will be stainless steal and will have polished blade edges.

T = The knife will have tip bolsters. see illustration

W = The knife will have a wharncliff blade. see illustration

X = Used to signify a change in the handle dye.

1/2 = The knife will have a clip master blade. see illustration

3/4 = The knife will be saber ground on one side and not the other. (rare).

19. I'll be darned. Mine is red bone handled with a XX frame. Turns out it would be worth several hunderd $$ if it was in better condition. I'll just keep it and continue to open letters with it. Thanks for the info!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  20. These are not true antiques but both are hand made Damascus steel.
    To attain a Master Smith rating with the American Bladesmith Society that Moran founded, the smith must forge a damascus blade with a minimum of 300 layers.[23] ( from Wikipedia)
    The Bowie has over 416 layers by Bear and Son in Alabama.
    IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2600.JPG
    This one was a gift so I don't know much about it except that it was made in PA.

21. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Some very impressive blades Y'all have. I spent 5 hours at a blade show in Atlanta last Saturday but only got to see half of it. I did buy a Damascus blank that my friend is going to help me build. I also have some older knives but nothing of value. Just old knives.

20180608_190643.jpg

22. I believe the Bear & Sons bowie hunter uses Damascus made by Fain Edwards of Jacksonville AL. The second knife is a Laguiole made in France. The Damascus model may have been made by G. David who I believe is the originator of that style of knife. The bee on the spine is a trademark of David.

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The "Bee" is a trade mark of the Laguiole Knife Co. A French knife maker.......................................
    [​IMG]

24. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Wow Lon, those are some really neat knives.

25. Thanks for the info. I knew nothing about the folding knife but it appears to be very well made. Bear and Son has a short but very interesting history. Ken Griffey bought out the shop of Parker Edwards knife co. in Jacksonville when it closed. He was later bought out by Victorinox but they closed it down not long after 911. The Swiss Army style knives took a hit because of the confiscation at airports and Govt. buildings. People didn't want to carry them any more. He bought the building again and is presently making some very nice knives.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  26. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

After heat treat and then edge filing.
    What a pain in ass 20180614_201039.jpeg 20180615_014540.jpeg

wraymen likes this.
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Can't you file THAN heat treat?

28. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

The shape is made before heat treat. I was worried about the final edge warping so I did that after hardening and tempering.
    I'll post the finished product tonight.

29. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

BradinNC and wraymen like this.
  30. ^They look great.

lothianwilly71 and InstantT like this.