Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Ford Suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by spillaneswillys, Jun 7, 2018.

1. I came across a pretty solid 50 Ford coupe and was wondering if the suspension on these cars is adequate for cruising. I would probably just put in a newer engine and would like just to rebuild the stock suspension. Thanks for the help!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Absolutely. When components are in good operating condition they drive just fine.
    Over the years I have owned and driven 2 different '50 Fords and my opinion is based on that experience.

Ray

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I can steer with one finger and I mean turn a corner with my Crestliner. a '50 is easy driving

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Why wouldn't it be? New and tight bushings and wear parts, good shocks, and go drive it. Arguably the roads in the 50's were rougher then today's highways (Illinois and Michigan not withstanding) with many more miles of gravel.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My '50 rocks to drive! It's a very comfy and capable car for just about any drive. I drive it routinely on the freeway at 70mph.

6. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

From 1995 to 2013, I cruised 80k miles in my '50. Built flathead, 3 speed od, bias ply tires and 6 volt system. That includes (from Virginia) 2 trips to Nebraska, 2 to Florida, 1 to Georgia and 1 to Mrytle Beach. On 1st trip to Florida, drove 820 miles straight. One of trips to Nebraska was 3700 miles, 14 days and 11 states. Always fun. So to answer your question, they cruise ok!

F&J likes this.
  7. My 51' has the stock suspension (all rebuilt) with the exception of a rear sway bar and shocks relocated, de-arched springs/lowering blocks and the front has Granada coil springs cut 2 rounds and rack and pinion. It rides great! 80 down the highway no problem!

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No PS, but can be added like above. 5" rims for a reason. I've seen Chrysler Hemis in them with stock suspension and upgraded brakes...

9. Thanks for all of the great replies!
    Joe

10. Questions like this crack me up. Ya know way back when they were new people were already driving Coast to Coast in them. Most highways didn't even have Speed Limits once you were outside City limits. Resume Speed was a common road sign. Speeds on the open road of 90 mph was not uncommon. For some of us W.F.O. was the norm. We didn't have Radial tires, Disc brakes or seat belts and yet every 1950 Ford still out there survived it. Can you believe that? The only reason you can't still do that today in a 1950 Ford is that the Highway Laws restrict it.
    The Wizzard

11. jcs

jcs

I've had a couple, my favorite was the '51 I had in '59 & '60. It drove great until I lowed it by heating the coils which created a bump steer issue. The 292 "Y" block didn't help the bump steer but I loved that car! I'm currently doing a '49 coupe & went with Fat Man on it, an opportunistic purchase - always wanted one that handled as good as it looked.

12. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Think thats the issue folk are too use to modern cars doing everything for you and lost the driving experience

JeffB2, Pist-n-Broke and Eric H like this.
  13. Eric H

Eric H

Mine drives real nice, Aerostar coils and heavily dearched springs but otherwise a completely stock chassis.

JeffB2 likes this.
  14. Aero star springs in front, Jamco steering links and dropped spindles, radial tires, my 50 drives just fine with lots of miles on her. I really enjoy the connected feel with the flatty and the T5 trans spinning a 81 rear end.

15. They had kingpins with bushings so hopefully they're in good shape. It may be a little difficult to find someone to rebush them.

16. Here's your answer if you need them.
    [​IMG]
    Spindle Bolt Kit
    1949 - 51

8M-3111

$79.95 Any auto machine shop that can install wrist pin bushings and size them can also install the new king pin bushings and correctly size them to fit.
    The Wizzard

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Ak Miller road raced his '27 Ford 1900+ miles through Mexico (twice), finishing 5th in class (behind four Ferrarris), then drove it back to Whittier, California. Frame/suspension were 1950 Ford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My own Shoebox had a 430 Buick mill, cut Dodge Pickup springs, and heavy-duty shocks. I drove the hell out of it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.