Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sealing a bubble top glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Jun 7, 2018.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Finishing up a 61 Olds Super 88 hardtop. New windshield, original rear one, new gaskets for both. Installed, but having a hell of a time trying to get it to stop leaking! I can stuff some strip caulk between gasket and pinchweld, but what (besides that nasty butyl glue) can I use between glass and gasket. I don't want to use butyl, in case I have to take them out, usually it ruins the gasket when they're glued up. I remember another type of sealer, in a squeeze tube we used to use, but my body shop supply has nothing like that. Anyone else have this problem?

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There is a sealant made for rubber gasketed windows. I know O'reilly's did carry it. I think it was called bedding compound. It doesn't get hard like the butyl, but stays semi soft.

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

^^ and messy but it works.

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

back in the day you could get good gaskets that didn't need sealer.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've always used butyl compund in a tube and run a bead where the glass seats in the rubber and around the area where the rubber seats against the body. Yes it's messy however it remains pliabale and provides a nice water and dust proof seal. I used old rags with kerosine to wipe excess butyl off after glass was correctly seated in rubber and body. Once this was done wipe over again with kerosine and then water to remove the residual sealer before cleaning up. I've never had a screen leak and even if it does, run a small bead of butyl with a thin nozzle between the rubber and glass or body.

6. 5window

5window

I hate to think you need to start over and take the glass out, but I'm thinking if there is water in the channel of the rubber, you're never going to get it to properly seal. ?

7. 62hotcat

62hotcat

It sucks but I had to run windshield urethane with the gaskets on my 62 catalina in order to not have leaks. I think Steele Rubber recommends it. First 62 I just installed gasket and to a shower in the rain.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Every old windshield I ever took out had that Bedding compound in it. A pliable caulk that was kind of gritty feeling. It never got hard.

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

81730 Permatex flowable windshield sealer..... works great!! It is clear, just fold the weatherstrip back a little and squeeze it in, moving as you go.

10. wsdad

wsdad

Lexall will stick even if it's wet.You can get it at Ace Hardware. It's clear. Good luck!

Edit: I've never used it on your application (a windsheild) but one of the giys mentioned it may be wet under the seal and it made me think of Lexall.)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. SS327

SS327

Chopolds, when I worked at Buick I used to use 3M BEDDING AND GLAZING COMPOUND. I don't remember the part number but a good body shop supply company should carry it. It seals but always remains pliable and soft and wipes off painted surfaces easy. Used it on a lot of window channels. Hope this helps.

Denny

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, that's what I used too. Couldn't remember the full name of it.