Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reccommendations on Mufflers for 1931 Ford Pickup Hotrod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cubzy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions on different mufflers for my Hot rod. I will post pics and video after of current setup.

Running a 327 SBC motor with Edelbrock small chambered aluminum heads high COMP Thumpr Cam. All exhaust componets are stainless. Exhaust consists of headers that travel underneath into 2.25 inch pipe into Magnaflow 4 inch round mufflers(mufflers right underneath of the truck cab). Mufflers have a 18 inch tailpipe after them which terminates just behind truck cab underneath.

Truck sounds fantastic with the high lift high duration cam etc. Problem is I can only drive truck for 15-20 before my ears start to ring and cause discomfort. Looking for ways to fix what I have and still retain some of the exhaust notes. I'd love to be able to run the truck for an hour+ at a time without doing hearing damage plus take the kids along with me.

Would running current exhaust to the back of the bed be enough or maybe add something downstream of current muffler or maybe just replace the current mufflers. If you suggest a muffler change let me know what you guys are running along with if they are a round muffler or rectangular.

Thanks for help.

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Getting the exhaust exit out from under your truck will make a big difference. And you'll definitely still be able to hear it!
    2" tailpipes would be easier to route and is plenty big enough for a 327, especially after the mufflers.

3. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Thank you for the feedback. I made an appointment with exhaust shop to run new 2.25 inch stainless pipe from the existing mufflers up and over the differential and end straight out the back. I'm also going to add a 2 inch H Pipe after the mufflers as there is no room before the mufflers. Any suggestions as the whether I should cut a 45 degree in the tailpipes end or leave them square. I'm leaning towards just leaving them square. I'll start with this and if its still to loud I can change mufflers at a later date.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree with 'Jet96' … exhaust pipes out the back will make a huge improvement.
    Cool truck too !

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If the tailpipes aren’t enough you could add a couple of very small resonators to help quiet it down.

6. 6sally6

6sally6

Make one of the exhaust pipes(before the muffler) about 6-8" longer than the other one. Longer if possible.
    Believe it or not.......it changes the resonance and the drone will disappear(or get less).
    Like the rest sez.....get the tail pipes to the END of the truck.
    6sally6

7. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Any recommendation on how to end the exhaust pipes at the back? Should I cut a 45 degree in it or just square end? Or point them down? Want to retain the look of a hot rod and not a 90's GMC truck. Let me know your thoughts even some pictures if you have any. Has anyone seen or had an H pipe installed downstream/behind of the mufflers? Thanks.

8. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

H-pipe helps some. It works better ahead of the mufflers but it helps wherever you can fit it. I had a 454 that droned something awful, so I did a lot of experimenting lol. As an aside to what 6sally6 suggested, some cars have a dead-ended pipe of a specific length Teed into the side of the exhaust pipe to kill resonance at a certain frequency.

9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Oh yeah I forgot- I ended up putting Porters on that pickup and it solved all my drone issues.
    And I lived happily ever after.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Today I had a H pipe added upstream of the existing Magnaflow resonators and then ran 2 1/4 inch all the way to the back up and over the differential. What a difference it made. Much more enjoyable cruising now. Trick was to get it out from underneath the vehicle. Thanks for all your help.

Chavezk21 likes this.