Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features UPDATE! Model A Hot Rod Built in 63

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deescott, Jun 6, 2018.

1. SS327

SS327

The car reminds me of the Larry Faris 31 model A "Tempted Once".

Denny

2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Love it. Looks like it's in great hands.

3. catdad49

catdad49

That is Sweet (I could be a little biased)! That is what I picture for my interior (already have the chrome mouldings), or something very similar. What drivetrain are you planning on? Whatever you do, please share. This should be a Good one, Carp.

TRJ and brad2v like this.
  4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Everything looks in way to good of shape to have been built in the 60's. Where did they have it stored. I'm not saying I am doubtful. I would just really like to know. I have never been able to keep any car in that good of shape for that long of time.

5. Mike

Mike

Looking good, Daniel.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Really like this car, chrome garnish and steering column, kid musta had a GOOD job...
    I remember in the '70s when crooks were stealing FM converters from cars in the Kmart parking lot where mom worked !... they didn't get mine... still got it SOMEWHERE!

7. Deescott

Deescott

It looks good in the pics, but in person it’s a different story. It wasn’t a great paint job in the first place either, but it’s great to me.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It also wasn’t driven much before getting stuck in storage from the sounds of it. Easy to not beat a car up when you don’t touch it

brad2v likes this.
  9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I hear you. I would have grabbed that too.

10. Deescott

Deescott

I’m using the original springs and u bolts and things like that, but it’s got a 265 with 3 97s, all old stuff, and I rebuilt a 40 rear with 3:54s. Really trying to use everything I can, even if I don’t like it. Luckily for me, the things that were trashed mechanically, were the things that I would have wanted to rebuild or replace anyway. They went all the way hot rod on everything you can see, but didn’t underneath. It’s like I’m finishing what they started.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Love this 'A-Bone'! ...And its story. Looks like they kept it in the living room, or it had its own bedroom. The overall look is very 'In'! Red paint just makes the era.
    The stance, style, color...remind me of my red '34 five window! 296" flathead, '36 box (straight cut gears, lasted 2 weeks!) Undercar stuff was terrible. Old, stretched dropped axle flexed with every turn of the steering wheel, '34 steering was tight and nice.
    Rear end was locked, (spiders welded!) so I was in the same boat then as you are now.
    Eventually, my '34 got traded for something else, but if I could have it again, I'd slip in a SBC with 'Vette covers, my 3 jugger, and just cruise around...

Pinstriper40 and brad2v like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm glad you made a thread for this car. When I saw your avatar I had gone looking and hadn't seen anything.

I'd love to see more pics!

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Cool find. Good on you for keeping it as close to how u found it minus the safety/quality changes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I think they were the same, I have one like the one in the picture under my work bench right now, that came out of a '53 Ford Customline. I pulled it my self from a car that was headed to the crusher, figured I could use the tubes in it if nothing else. My '51 Merc is still 6 volt, and all stock

bowie likes this.
  15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Bitchen A!!...lemme know when its for sale :)

kidcampbell71 and Jet96 like this.
  16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Purrrrrrrrrrfect!!!!!!!!!!

brad2v likes this.
  17. Deescott

Deescott

18. Deescott

Deescott

Getting real close. Body is bolted to finished frame, everything underneath done except for brake bleeding. Aluminum firewall worked out great. Motor is golden Yellow just because. The car didn’t have a “hot rod” motor when I got it, and firewall was junk, so I’m free to do what I want in the engine compartment. So I’m making it look like it came out of an issue of Popular Hot Rodding under the hood.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    slv63, CudaChick1968, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  19. Deescott

Deescott

A friend had told me a while back he took stuff to Mexico to get chromed. Seemed sketchy, but he assured me he’d had great luck doing it. So I sent the stock 265 exhaust, pulley, fan, and generator, and they came out great! SUPER CHEAP! Got them back in less than 2 weeks. They even smoothed out the exhaust! I did no prep at all.

Attached Files:

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

VERY COOL!!!

Deescott likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I for one want to hear more about the Mexican chrome, if you can.

brEad and 56premiere like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man those manifolds look killer!

Deescott likes this.
  23. Love it!

Deescott likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Please share the contact info of the chrome shop you used!

brEad likes this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great find! My heart jumped a little when I first saw it. When I was around 11 or 12 years old I lived near LAX. There was a neat little red Model A coupe that lived near the end of our street. About once a month he would fire it up and drive it around the neighborhood long enough to warm it up good, then back in the garage it went. It looked an awful lot like your coupe. It was red with black wheels and ww tires, had white running boards, a full hood and no mufflers. I seem to remember a light colored interior. Did you mention where you are or where the coupe came from (recently)?
    Glad to hear you will be keeping it in that era, love the look of cars from that 58-64 period. Like those back tires, they look sorta familiar.
    I did the same with my '31 Tudor, the Popular Hot Rodding look. They seemed to feature a lot of rods from just regular fellas.
    DSCN1910.JPG DSCN1665.JPG

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Deescott your nailing it...hows it feel to be be happier than a pig in shit twice...;)...what a cool car have fun with it and that looks to be soon and that's where the twice comes in.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Deescott likes this.
  27. Deescott

Deescott

Thanks a lot! Your Sedan looks awesome. The coupe was built in Tucumcari NM, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to talk to the builder yet, just his son who I bought it from. I’ve been trying , but it hasn’t happened yet. He did show me a picture of him as a kid in about 1973 of the coupe in a rodeo parade with him and a bunch of cowboys on the running boards. As for the chrome connection, I basically just handed it off to a friend when he got a bunch of stuff chromed. I don’t have a number or a name, and it really does seem sketchy but it was well worth the money. From what he said it might have been the last time he can send stuff there, rumor has it some low rider club in LA is buying the whole operation down there for their personal use. But don’t quote me on that, just heresay! I couldn’t resist trying the “Mexican chrome” thing though, reminded me of the “tijijuana tuck n roll”!

28. Wow what a bitchin car!

Deescott and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. catdad49

catdad49

I thought 'Mexican Chrome' came in a spray can. The more I know, the less I know! Comprende?!

30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

You're kicking ass and taking names. Love the chrome bits.
    Also love chrome slots.

CudaChick1968 and Deescott like this.