Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cutting down a seat frame ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jesse Brody, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

I have a 35 Ford PU and the current seat in it is much longer than the original riser. I think its looks out of proportion. I have also attached a picture of what the original seat fitment should look like. I actually like that my seat folds down and flips up for storage. My question is has anyone shortened a beach width. I can see how easy it would be to shorten the frame length. Just not sure if its doable with all the springs. 1.jpg 35 seat.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe one option I can see is modifying the brackets where the back can be moved forward a bit . Makes bottom less seat area but it looks like the old seat pick has less area. Proportions are better and the back can still tilt forward .

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You could always make up a new seat frame out of tubing and go through a lot more work finishing seat but modifying brackets is probably the easiest way

4. badvolvo

badvolvo

I cut one down for my 40 as it was too wide. Took about an hour to cut & re-weld, the springs were the tricky part. I used some sheet metal scraps, wrapped and tig welded around the springs. On some of them, I was able to just cut the spring down and reattach. Ended up using buckets instead, so the cut down bench is going in my 49 Willys pickup. Your seat looks to be much newer than mine, it was from a 64 Ranchero.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were me I would play around with how the seat back is mounted to the bottom seat cushion to see if I could move the bottom back and under the seat back. From the look of the picture you might be able to shift it back 3 or 4 inches and that would give it a better look without too much work I think. I had to cut 6 inches out of the middle of a Caravan seat to get it to fit into my A roadster. They aren't too difficult to work on once you get them all apart. I did have to modify the foam for it the same amount though.

6. adam401

adam401

I narrowed an f100 seat frame width wise about 5 inches to fit my 34 coupe. Cut each side of the frame and rewired the spring. Easy. Could do the same front to back if needed. Don't know if the surgery is visible in the pic but its cut up and welded 1528387022227723111961.jpg

7. Seat looks like it might be a glide are similar. They are made very simply. Careful measuring should be no sweat. Then it has to be reupholstered

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I think that your new seat sits too far forward, I realize you mention storage but you may not be able to accomplish that without a lot of work. The old seat back is nearly hidden behind door post and the new one is in front of it. I had a 36 Willys PU with the same problem and I couldn't move the seat back any further. I was pretty cramped up.

Pat

9. Seat back stands straight up,
    Bottom slides back
    Uncomfortable

The entire seating position begins at the top of the seat back where it touches the back of the cab. From there you set the angle for the seat back. You can choose to alter the thickness of the seat back. From there you derive the length and angle of the seat bottom. Hopefully the dash isn't into your knees. Maybe it looks like it's hanging off the seat base but I bet it's far more comfortable than the stock configuration

10. I needed a seat for my '32 so I narrowed an '84 Ranger seat about 5" and it worked out just fine. The seat height was good for me and the seat back tilts forward for a little extra storage. I just measured it and cut the frame with a hacksaw, welded it back together and believe it or not used an electric carving knife to cut the seat foam in two. I glued the seat foam halves back together with contact cement. I bought a tanned cowhide and took it to an upholsterer who recovered it for me.

I have been using it for years now and I am very happy with it.

Attached Files:

mcsfabrication likes this.
  11. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Did something similar but reverse (chopped the height instead). Wife likes to ride sitting up more straight; I like to slouch. So I took an old swap meet purchased Glide frame and cut it down. Sits right on the floor so we can get low in the car. Gonna work great. Not as 'traditional' as far as seats go but ...if momma's happy seat3.jpg saet1.jpg seat2.jpg

rgrhoward and sidevalve8ba like this.