Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller & Ryan's Silver Streak Clipper... The Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, May 18, 2018.

1. Ya, for the front of a hotrod perfect.

2. Ryan, I got over to our satellite farm and snapped a few pictures of the trailer I was telling you about. It's been abused but I'm sure I could save it if I can just get ahold of it. I think it's a 46. Not sure what the model number stand for but I'm sure you do. IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1221.JPG

Attached Files:

Hnstray, brEad, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  3. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

I can't tell you how many airstreams and other vintage trailers I have seen converted to storage sheds. You need to go get that trailer if you can. if you do use solid rivets for repairs. Its worth money just as it is.

Model 5 is the length

4. I would like to. It is owned by the State of Arizona which I work for. All state property is put up for auction when it is surplus. Not sure what the value of this trailer is in this condition(poor). I have aircraft experience with solid rivets so that is not a problem.
    Not sure if the old researcher that was using it for storage would be willing to let it go. We will see.
    I didn't measure it but it looks to be around 22'. Any more info?

5. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

What rating is the tire?

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  6. Bull

Bull

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hnstray, brEad, enloe and 19 others like this.
  8. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Oh WOW!!!!!!! Yeah......she's polished alright!!!! Looks great!!!!! Won't be able to hide in the forest with that baby!!
    Looks like major 1950's Buck Rogers action!!!! Happy Camping!!!

elgringo71 likes this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice.NOW,let`s keep it that way:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. What a bitchin trailer.

11. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Looks beautiful Ryan.

12. It looks like John & Marco are hard workers and don't let any grass grow under their feet, they have done a amazing job in a short period of time.

One question,is the entire structure done in aluminum,is there any wood with the exception of the cabinetry and floor? HRP

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The only wood on the trailer is the floors and the cabinet doors... everything else, including the substructure is aluminum rivet construction.

This is actually one of the reasons I didn't want a canned ham. I just didn't want to deal with wood rot and what not...

There is a weak link with these however... and it's the frame. They used a pipe frame with outriggers and they often get tweaked and require replacement. Here's one John is redoing for illustration:

[​IMG]

Thankfully, mine is pretty damned solid.

14. The frame structure kinda reminds me of a fish skeleton. :D HRP

[​IMG]

porkshop likes this.
  15. jchav62

jchav62

Beautiful trailer! Congrats...

16. Those tires are perfect! I didn’t see a speed rating in the specs???

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Turning out nice! @Ryan , it should be a great camper for you, Miller, and family.

18. Man, what a cool thread! That trailer is awesome.

19. mkubacak

mkubacak

The link posted above shows a speed rating of K, which from what I can tell is 68 mph.

After having trailer tire problems several years ago, I started researching trailer tires. Most are not speed rated or are rated J which is 62 mph. Now I only buy trailer tires rated L or above. L rated tires are good to 75 mph, but I try to stay 65 mph and under with the fifth wheel.

Hnstray and cactus1 like this.

20. Yes I just bought some trailer tires for my car hauler that are rated for 83 mph. They don’t have the look I want though. The ones that did were only rated to 55mph!

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One, that thing is beautiful, it looks like the Rocketeer's helmet coming at ya. Regarding wheels, seems like there was a cool aluminum trailer wheel from the '50s that looks like a steelie, IIRC it was built in Chicago, maybe called Streamline?

22. alchemy

alchemy

A set of those Streamline (Streamlight?) wheels might cost more than the trailer.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Streamlite. And I had a full set of them, but sold them a few years back to fund my '64 f100 purchase... which was sold to fund this trailer. :)

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Almost ready for Miller and I to come get her on Monday... John killed the aluminum work and Marcos killed the polish.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Pretty groovy. I think it needs a pair of ram horns. Show us the interior.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    johndee138 likes this.
  26. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Unreal man! Can't believe I missed this!

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

John got the running lights wired and the door window replaced.

Miller and I head that way tomorrow morning...

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

This thing feels like an old war bird.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    enloe, catdad49, HEMI32 and 6 others like this.
  28. John & Marcos are two very talented gentleman.

I don't use the word "Stunning" very often but that's the first thing that comes to mind,You & Miller better be prepared to answer a hundred and one questions when you roll up to the camp ground or filling station.

This will be a adventure that you both will talk about for many years to come,take lot's of photo's. HRP

29. Holey Moley!!
    That thing is insane!
    As a retired Goodyear guy, and FWIW, be very fanatical with bias trailer tire inflation and impact avoidance. They don't like underflation, build up a lot of heat, and have little penetration protection. Underinflation equals failure.

Hnstray likes this.