Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto Hemi Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckydevil, Feb 16, 2006.

1. luckydevil

luckydevil

I am going to look at a Desoto 345 Hemi this week. The engine has been disassembled for many years. It was supposed to be a good running engine before disassembly. It is supposed to be complete but in boxes. I have always been a big block Chevy guy so I really have no experiance with hemis. Can someone tell me what to look for with this engine. What parts are hard to replace and need to be in excellent condition, Where should I look for typical wear and damage to this engine, etc.. anything I really need to look out for with a Desoto hemi. Thanks.

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

All of them. :D

They're not as popular as the Dodges and Chryslers, so cool old goodies are hard to find and are expensive when you do.

And JMO, but I've never taken apart an engine that was in fine running condition. ;)

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Check the hotheads website and give Bob Walker a call..he can help you decide if it is a good deal....speed parts for desotos are very thin and if any......pricey.
    but....you can rebuild the engine stock and have a strong runner.330 and 345 were a high horse engine in there day.Hotheads is selling a 4 and 6 jug log manifold......and if ya want I have a stock 4 barrel intake for sale;) :D :)

4. start by finding out if it's a 341 (biggest hemi DeSoto built) check out all the pieces (parts are expensive and sometimes hard to find) and don't pay big money (its apart because someone found how much it costs to build a Hemi) use your head. I wouldn't pay more than 400-500 for a perfect disassembled hemi.
    DeSoto's are the bastard Hemi as far as parts go, but running thay are as good as any hemi out there
    after saying all that I would buy it without hesitation but not for the 1500-2500 that some think they're worth

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

The biggest one is the 345 cube. If it has a factory 2x4 manifold it is the rare 345 horse model which there were very few made.

1957 motor

345 Cubes
    Bore (in) 3.80
    Stroke (in) 3.80
    C-R 9.25:1
    Horses 345 @ 5200
    Torque 355 @ 3600

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A 345 came in a 57 Adventurer, Only in 1957,1 year only!)...,twin fours and 345 horse.......Very rare!!!(the factory was always notorious for underating there engines H.P. for insurance purposes)The h.p. factor was around 375 h.p. in stock form!
    if in fact it is a 345 Hemi Desoto,.....look on the front pad(just in front of the valley cover) and check for this I.D.#S26A - 1001
    If that is the number......call me......and I will by it.....in pieces or not.

7. luckydevil

luckydevil

This is a 345. It was taken apart so he could move it into his basement for storage. He says it is complete with 4 barrell manifold, carb, distributor, valve covers, exh manifolds, etc.. It will cost me $400. so I think no matter what it is a good deal. What I want to know is, what in particular is important for these engines. When I am looking at these parts what do I need to make sure is included and in good condition. What would be almost impossible to replace on this engine? Thanks.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The crank.....the block,.....the cam is needed for a regrind....gotta make your own headers.....Cost is about the same as a BB chev....the heads must be in good shape(castings).....talk to Bob Walker.......

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Actually, everything is important, since DeSoto hemis aren't dropping out of trees. For $400, though, if all the major parts are there, you'd better buy it.

10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

If it's the original 4 barrel amnifold then it's not a 345 but most likely a 341 or smaller, 345's did not come with a single four barrel.........get the number off the front of the block and you will then know everything about the motor

11. luckydevil

luckydevil

So what you guys are saying is as long as all the parts are there and the block isn't cracked or a solid block of rust there is nothing else to be concerned with? Rockers, pushrods, valves, oil pump, cam & lifters, pistons, rods, all these things are available?

12. George

George

If the pad is not readable there should be casting #s between the head & valley cover on pass. side toward the back.

studebakerjoe likes this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

15. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Rockers are important as well as the crank, rods, main caps, you can still buy a lot of parts either through hot heads or Kanter auto parts. you can buy new lifters, valves, push rods, pistons, oil pumps. Just try and get the outside bracket stuff and pulleys the more the better.

16. luckydevil

luckydevil

Thanks. I am going this weekend to make the deal. I will do a follow up post after I get the engine and report what I find. Thanks again.

17. luckydevil

luckydevil

I picked up the Hemi today, man is it heavy, Haha.. Anyway it is not a 345 it is a 341. The id number is S26. It is complete with the 4V intake & carb, starter, dist, engine mounts, fan, pullys and even a brand new gasket set. Seems to be in pretty good shape. The only thing missing are the ignition wire covers. So if anyone out there has an extra set let me know. I am also now on the hunt for a project car to put this motor in. 1920's-1930's Desoto, dodge, Plymouth....

18. dehudso

dehudso

If you scored that for $400. You done real good.

My 341 is a torque machine! Bob Walker at Hot Hemi Heads has been a wealth of knowledge and help.

19. luckydevil

luckydevil

Yep. $400. Now I just need to find something to put her in.

20. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

DeSoto Hemi, where do I find the engine ID number?
    thanks, Ric

21. town sedan

town sedan

Ric, check out the "use code" section of the Quality Engineered Components website. Should be stamped on the top front of the block I believe.
    -Dave

Ric Dean likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Thread is over 12 years old..... Damn shame he didn't post any pictures.....

Ric Dean likes this.
  23. George

George

On a flat in front of the valley cover.

Ric Dean likes this.
  24. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Ric Dean, here you go. Screenshot_2018-06-06-20-02-03-1.png

Ric Dean likes this.
  25. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Thanks all, I'll let you know what I come up with. Ric

26. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Hey guys that was a tremendous help.
    Joe: I found the engine with the Chart you posted #S21-7562 it’s a 1955 4V 291ci. Seeing that 4V still on the engine I was hopeing for a Adventurer. ;)

Thanks much! Ric

27. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Desoto is the least popular hemi. No speed parts to speak of. I would pass.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't need a lot of speed parts to run a Desoto Hemi unless you plan to go racing or just want to impress the mouthbreathers. Rebuild kits are unreal expensive though. The cool factor of having Hemi in the right hot rod outweighs having the need to load it down with speed equipment.
    It's a real debate price wise between the 330 Desoto I have and the Flathead I have which is going to be more expensive when done.

29. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

… Do you think I’m the guy that started this thread in 2006, a recent HAMB search came up with the Thread and it was a fit.

It is too late to pass on it, my 55 DeSoto engine was in a 51 Ford Convert field car that I have had for 40-50 yrs, I think I paid $15. To a Low-bucker like me a Hemi is a Hemi and its 4V, it will likely go into a light weight 1930s car and it ought to move along ok.

Thank you for your advice I’ll try to keep cost down till I find a 392. :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  30. George

George

That's what happens when people play in the Dead Threads!