Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 'Twas the night before going to TROG.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shawnsauto1, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Just loading up to leave in the morning and I see my alternator at higher rpms is over charging. North of 17 volts even with lights on. Idle isn't bad, 13.5.

Even if I unplug the small two wire plug it does this once it's started charging.

Anyone know of what kind of parts and where I might be able to find to fix my alternator at my campsite?

Normally I'd have it rebuilt but I have to hit the road. I should ad the battery is under my wife's ass...... So hoping to avoid a battery explosion.

Any thoughts? IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. That wiring looks a little suspect? Can't you just replace the alternator or am I misunderstanding the question???

nunattax and Stogy like this.
  3. Where would I find one? Previous builder ground down the housing to fit like so...... IMG_0019.JPG

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. The wiring does look like it's gotten hot. But I have same voltage at alternator output as at the battery.

If I had time I would send this one out. But I need to hit the road.

Stogy likes this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no technical help for you but I would wish for a safe journey for You and your Missus...thats a heck of a journey...you two are quite the adventurous duo and I know its not the first journey that way...that's the spirit...;)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. To be fair..... The hotrod goes in a trailer and we camp half hour outside wildwood. Taking our daughter as well.

Didn't want to take credit for driving this thing 12 hours!!!

Hope to figure out a way to fix it on our way.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps you can identify it an buy another and swap the innards...cool event to take in hope weather is on your side...and perhaps another alternative is to resistor it down I remember a buddy doing that. You probably have agauge in the dash that alerted you...could it be the battery fluid?

chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  8. I'm thinking something along those lines. Not sure what to look for or ask for.

I have vague memories of buying alternator parts and replacing the innards many moons ago.

Anyone have any tips what I can look for on the road?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. I don't have a gauge. I just wanted to make sure it was charging before we go. Now I have to opposite problem.

If there was a way I could turn alternator on and off I would just do that.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The _ _ rather than I I pins that the plug connect to say you need an internal regulator or a 10 SI alternator.
    That said I have never seen a Delco alternator with that back setup on it I don't know if someone modified an external regulator alternator to run an internal regulator or if it is an early internal that still looked a lot like external regulator units (pre finned) or if it was a special application unit.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I was asking that for is was the possibility its been doing this for quite some time without you realizing it especially without a gauge. Did you check the cells on the battery...perhaps they are dry from overcharge.

12. I thought it looked weird as well. Not sure if I should take it apart now?

Not sure I have any other options.

I assume I just need regulator?

13. It could have been doing this for sometime. Not sure how dry cells would help. It's overcharging nonetheless. Battery is working fine surprisingly.

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ he kinda touched on some things I was thinking. It does look like a ground down external regulator alternator so I’d yhought replace the regulator. But then he brought up the connections.

Are you running an external regulator?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like I was correcting the auto correct to slow and you guys got there before me lol

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dry cells would be no help at all just a symptom of a problem and another thing to go wrong or perhaps affecting your charge output...I am not a mechanic just have some thoughts on things...

17. No external regulator. I think it's an older unit someone put internal regulator in it. I've done it for a customer on another car.

With two wires unplugged it won't charge. As soon as I plug in for a second it takes off on its own.

Must be a bad regulator.

Perhaps I need to find an old school electrical shop somewhere between Buffalo and Jersey.

18. Agreed. It is still full. 680cca tested out at 500. Tester says good battery, recharge. (Car has been sitting so makes sense)

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Next day ship the part to your hotel?

20. Any idea what part?
    Is there only one regulator like this?

I like your idea. I need to use the car Friday evening so...... Maybe....

Or do I just idle it a lot? It's fine under 1000 rpms. Pretty hard to drive like that with a three speed!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has been sitting a lot and the battery is low it may be over charging to get the battery back up to full charge. My 1 ton pretty well does that, charges to beat hell for about fifteen minutes after the truck has sat for a couple of weeks and then levels out around 14 volts.
    I'd put the charger on the battery and get it fully charged and see what happens.
    I've been searching since my last post and cannot find an alternator that resembles that one. Personally I'd buy one of the sling shot Y style flathead alternator brackets on it and run a regular 10 SI delco and be done with it. That way if it craps out you can get a replacement anywhere including most wrecking yards and be gone in short order.

lothiandon1940, Tim and Stogy like this.
  22. That's good advise. I've never liked this alternator.

I'm actually waiting for someone to tell me this is what I get for going to TROG and not have a generator over an alternator!

23. I didn't know alternators like this would charge high with a low battery. I'll try what you suggested. I've seen computer controller charging systems charge higher in cold temps, but I thought these alternators would charge at the same voltage all the time.

I'll try a fully charged battery and see if it's different.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a generator...:D

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  25. scumfuk13

scumfuk13

26. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a fully charged (good) battery (and the alternator disconnected) it should run for many hours (daylight) and have plenty enough for a good few starts - just get it back on the charger whenever you can, enjoy Trog to the max and worry about fixing it later.

Chris

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Hope you get your issues resolved and are able to make it to Jersey safely. Make sure to take some pictures and feel free to post them in this thread while there or upon your return.:)..........And please, more pics of what appears to be a pretty cool little Roadster. Travel in Peace and Harmony. Good luck...............Don.:D

28. It's a 25 min run down a highway to get to wildwood. I'm thinking I'll leave alt unplugged then. When I get in town I can plug it back in because it's not bad idling. And I can idle most of the time cruising around.

This morning I'm liking this idea.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. I turn my phone off in the states. But I'll report back with some pictures after Tuesday for sure.
    Thank you.

30. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

I'd stick a switch in the line for a quick on/ off for the weekend.We would run a whole feature event at the race track with no alternator.