Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Powerglide heavy duty versus light duty ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by streetdreams, Jun 6, 2018.

1. I've heard there is a heavy duty and light duty Powerglide. The difference being the diameter of the output shaft at the splines. If so, does anyone know the dimensions of one or both? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The difference in the output shafts is negligible, so much so that the SAME slip yokes and output shaft bushings are used, as well as the same extension housings. The real differences lies in the low gear planetaries; the 4, six, and 2 barrel V-8 cylinder engined cars got the 1.82 first gear, the other "more powerful" got the 1.76 ratio first. Then the direct (high gear) clutch assembly varied in plate counts from 2 to 6, depending on what engine they were behind; most had a 4 count pack. Police, taxi, and HD use also got the 1.76 first, and higher count direct clutch pack, no matter what engine was used. Reverse clutch pack counts ranged from 3 to 6 lined plates, and reverse ring gear sizes differed also. 1.82 planetaries used a stamped steel housing, the 1.76 was cast. These are aluminum Powerglides, NOT the older cast iron Powerglides. I've almost always used the 1.82 low gear Powerglides in my build ups; used them behind BBC's even, but modified the clutch packs. As far as answering your ACTUAL question, the 1.82 output shaft measures 1.145", and the 1.76 measures 1.170. There is even a tool called a Go/No-Go that's used to quickly ID which shaft you have. There are other smaller differences between the 1.82 and 1.76 Powerglides, and not all parts can be swapped back and forth, such as the input shaft; you have to use the right parts for each, although the aftermarket has input shafts that will work with both. Why GM did't do that, and just use ONE Powerglide for ALL applications, who knows? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Baumi, Oilguy, BJR and 3 others like this.
  3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Butch....this is another example of the great info you post here!
    I needed help on my powerlgide about 11 years ago and you pointed me in the right direction then as well as now...same as for help on my 56 Chevy rear end rebuild...sorry just wanted to say thanks.....great poster A+

Baumi likes this.
  4. LOL. :D For as many Powerglides as were manufactured over the years, if GM figured that one version could save them 8 cents per unit cost, they'd build as many that way as they could.
    ;)

5. vinfab

vinfab

56sedandelivery is absolutely correct on everything, but I will add that there was also a light duty air cooled powerglide used in early Chevy IIs

6. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Does one input shaft have a groove on it?

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^ Actually, with a STOCK Powerglide, there are three grooves on the input shaft, with only two of them having sealing rings; the other one locates the "wedding band" bushing. Some aftermarket input shafts only use a single groove, and one has none; it's usually when a TH-350/400 style converter is used, so a different input shaft is needed. ^^^ The air cooled Glide is virtually the same as any Glide, but they were of the 1.82 low gear ratio, and just had a "vane" tack welded to the torque converter, and a "turbine assembly" that takes the place of an inspection cover, that helps to cool the converter by directing airflow. They also have a cooler by-pass valve in the front pump. The earlier aluminum Glides also had a rear pump (62-65). The rear pump was deleted in 66. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Butch, thanks for the info . Answers my questions and concerns. Again, thanks!

9. Technically known as the "Torque Drive" transmission. Air cooled and no automatic upshifting, courtesy of a "minimized" valve body. Available for a year or two in the early Vegas as well.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Torquedrive transmission was a 69-70Nova/Camaro transmission, used ONLY with 4 or 6 cylinder engines. I've only seen one IN a Nova. I've never seen just the transmission for sale, but I'd like to find one, without having to pay more in shipping than the transmission is worth. Chevrolet/GM actually made the first full manual, race Powerglide in the Torquedrive, they just put it in the wrong car (should have been in a BBC or high HP SBC with a high stall converter). Racers and converter manufacturers figured the Powerglide out however. Who would have figured Chevrolet's Powerglide, the "slip and slide with a Powerglide", would be proven so wrong? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.