Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identifying these wheels (wire bent spoke)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jackalope

jackalope

Okay, I have done some searching and what I have determined is that they are all Kelsey Hayes even though I have not found a makers mark. I base this on the spoke count, hub center and size. Does any disagree or have info to share. I may be selling some of them or buying to make a complete set. Thanks IMG_6371.JPG IMG_6372.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    The two are obviously different. Green ones I have two of and the white one I have three of. So, if you have the one I need to complete the set I would consider selling or buying so PM me.

Motor Wheel Corp has a 40 spoke count and larger hub center so I ruled that one out. Thanks in advance!!

2. jackalope

jackalope

I figured someone would know more about these. I’ve searched the forum but come up short. Same with Google.

3. This section is for the intro threads. The main message board just under this one should give you quite a few answers.

jackalope likes this.
  4. jackalope

jackalope

The phone app makes it difficult to operate. Thanks for the heads up. I rarely use a computer to surf the forums so I will try to switch it somehow. Thanks again!

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Which one are you asking about? 2 different wheels.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope

Both to be sure. I believe the white ones are KH. Others “look” like Motor Wheel Corp but don’t have the 40 spoke count. So I’m stumped. Thanks for any and all help.

7. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

40 spokes are KH. 36 spokes are Motor Wheels.

8. jackalope

jackalope

Okay, that is contrary to what I have seen which is why I am asking for clarification. Here is an example that differs from your comment
    IMG_6384.JPG

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

By actual count, the green wheel is 40 spoke, the white one 36. The pic of the ‘for sale’ wheels is incomplete view making it difficult to accurately count the spokes.

However, the white 36 spoke in your post has a outer front hub opening that appears to match the claimed 40 spoke advertised wheel. Your green 40 spoke wheel has different hub opening flange dimensions. Sum Ting Wong!

jackalope likes this.
  10. jackalope

jackalope

Well son of a bitch. I thought I had counted 36 on the green one shown. Turns out there is a green one with tire (not shown) with 36....

So the tireless ones make sense then being Motor Wheel Corp but the flange (hub) opening is different in size from most other MWC wheels of same size and age.

11. jackalope

jackalope

Both have the standard ford hub opening dimensions (~5.75”) or something like that.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Those wheels were made during the "Jumbo" or "Balloon Tire" era, and could have come from a maker other than K-H or Motor Wheel.

jackalope and Hnstray like this.
  13. jackalope

jackalope

I can buy into that. I know there were a lot of companies in the game in the mid 30’s. I’d love to find matches to complete the sets. I am putting a set of wires on my 30 Roadster build. Collecting everything at this point and the. Going to knock it out asap.

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I've had quite a few sets of the KH bent spoke and on some I've found on the inside by the valve stem opening a KH. I've also found it on the back side by the lug nut holes. Sometimes it's so very faint that you have to look really close to see it.

Hnstray and jackalope like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

The green one wasn't made for a Ford. Double check that bolt pattern.

The white one was made for a 32-35 Ford. You guys have me second guessing about the KH vs. Motor Wheel brands. I do know a Kelsey Hayes will have a small KH stamped on the backside of the mounting surface between the lug holes.

16. jackalope

jackalope

It’s 5-5.5 Same as ford. It is identical to MWC wheels made for ford only the hub opening does NOT require an adapter ring for using ford hub caps. MWC ford wheels had a larger opening thereby requiring an adapter ring.

17. clem

clem

FWIW
    I’ve got a steel rim with the KH on the rim, where the tube sits, so can only see it without a tyre fitted.
    But I couldn’t see it at all until I sanded the paint off.
    So maybe you can’t find the manufacturer’s mark as it may be under the tyre, or alternatively, under the 70 years of paint........

Are those spokes adjustable ?

18. WTF really

WTF really

Now I'm curious about what mine are. I'm also running some kinda like these on my 30 roadster. Mine are 15s though. 20170707_112142.jpg

19. jackalope

jackalope

Spikes are adjustable on the green wheels and I believe as well on the others. None appear to be welded.

20. jackalope

jackalope

Something else that is distinct about the green ones is the wheel mount surface piece is not nearly as large in diameter as the KH and original Ford ones. Side by side it is very obvious. MWC had this characteristic for their ford wheels.

21. alchemy

alchemy

The reason I say the green one wasn't made for a Ford is because the KH and Motor Wheels made for Ford back then were sized to use the original Ford hubcap. Also, the mounting surface fit over the whole face of the drum, with the inner part fitting the nubs, and the outer part sitting against the drum. The green one doesn't look like it would fit on an early 30's Ford drum. Only one way to tell.....

And guys, neither one of those wheels has adjustable spokes. Bent yes, adjustable no.

WTF, I think your 15" wheels are either a 50's production for a bigger fancy car, or modern aftermarket like McClean or such.

bct and Hnstray like this.
  22. jackalope

jackalope

I'm going to take a closer look at them this weekend. I ASSumed they were adjustable based on the fact that they are NOT welded. I figured the adjustment was on tube side. Thanks for any and all info.