Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bakelite ??/ Inner Anglia Window Trim- prep for paint?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

As soon as I get my air compressor back together will start getting inside ready for paint.
    So- has anyone ever painted the factory anglia/prefect inner window trim ? Its balklight I think is how you say it. I simply want to paint it the same color as the out side- Is There any special prep I should know about? I figure someone on the H.A.M.B. has done this before me. Any insight help/or suggestions are welcome.
    Mitch

2. Budget36

Budget36

I think you mean Bakelight (or is it bakelite...I do know its "bake)...but sorry, no experience, but might help your search?

3. Mart

Mart

fwiw I think it is pronounced like baker-light

It's spelt Bakelite. It should polish up nice if you use a cutting compound and some polish.

4. Does,nt bakelite sweat ( very minimal ) ? . I have a few bakelite parts laying around and they never seem to stay clean. For painting i would experiment on the backside of your trim pieces.

5. BJR

BJR

Just prep like you would any other metal piece you were painting. Then shoot it.

rust runner likes this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok I got the title right lol.
    Thanks for the info. Mine are in good shape but The Whole car is going through a color change and I would like it to match the out side.

7. chevythedoggy

chevythedoggy
    from Ottawa

sand with 180 paper shoot some high build primer ,slick sand let tack up after 1st coat 2 coats and prep for paint 280 400 paper that will seal the bakelite

8. Modded 105E

Modded 105E

I have tinkered with anglias and populars here in the uk since 1968. Bakelite becomes very brittle and snaps but I did carefully brush paint some surrounds with ok but not brilliant results. You will need to seal the bakelite first.

Fibreglass window surrounds for Anglias are available here in the uk for not a huge amount of money so I guess they must be in the USA as well if you want to be certain and have a well finished strong set of surrounds.