Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stepping up to a Step down bought my 7 year old a 54 Hornet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piston Farmer, May 24, 2018.

1. williebill

williebill

That's pretty cool, hope you guys have many moons of fun with it.

chevy54man and czuch like this.
  2. Dwardo

Dwardo

Power steering, oil bath air cleaners on the Twin-H, and looks like power brakes. Power steering is much sought after on these cars. Nice find!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Dwardo

Dwardo

Is the Yak-3 in the background yours ? :)

loudbang and czuch like this.

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

been a ford only guy for about 35 years... at my house that Hudson would be child abuse ! ....LOL.

King ford and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Super Cool! I was in 4th grade when we bought my 57 Chevy.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Smokey swore by 'em. Passed the 'New Oldsmobile Rocket 88 V8' with one in early NASCAR...

j hansen, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Latigo

Latigo

A Hudson for Hudson. Gotta do what you gotta do! Did your wife buy that reason? Nice car!

indyjps likes this.
  8. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

Lucky young man!! When I was seven, my car still had pedals...….

OahuEli, King ford and czuch like this.

9. Yup because I already bought a HenryJ for my oldest boy Henry James. Plus she did over half the driving to go get it. Over 2,000 miles in 3 days!

Attached Files:

chriseakin, catdad49, 0nedon and 5 others like this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

That's awesome! My boy Hudson has a 52 Hudson. He's only 15 months though. Still a ways to go before he knows what he has.

Is there anything you need for the 54? I may be parting one out later this year.

chryslerfan55 and Piston Farmer like this.
  11. Awesome!

As of right now the only thing I know I’m missing is a couple pieces of dash trim that fill in inbetween the instrument panel to the radio and then from the radio to the ashtray.

But I will keep looking.

Unless the one your parting out is an auto cause then I’d be interested in all of the auto parts from the steering column to the transmission!

WCreighton and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Latigo

Latigo

I see a pattern here. How many more kids do you have?

13. That is all

14. scotts52

scotts52

It's still sitting up at the property. I need to bring it home this year. I'll let you know what ivI' got as soon as I get it home.

15. Awesome! Thank you for the heads up!

16. Dwardo

Dwardo

Why do you need the "auto parts from the steering column to the transmission"? Is the linkage missing? I do have some Hudson stuff.

17. greener200

greener200

THE OLLL "Its for our Son,Honey" Worked for you huh ? THATS AWSUM ! The smile says it all ! great find and gift !

deadbeat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. There is a national Hudson club and many local chapters. You might Google them for parts sources. If you have sloppy shifting for a 3 on the tree shift set up most cars have plastic bushings where the shift rods go into the 2 arms from the steering column. If they look worn or missing just measure the diameter of the round rods and the hole diameter as likely many different makes interchange with this.
    Jimmie

chryslerfan55 and Piston Farmer like this.
  19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dad, I've been looking for you for 60 years!!
    Its me, Packard Delaheye Winston Stutz Deusenberg Auburn Pierce.

20. Lol I have a 51 packard straight 8 327 smooth running car

chryslerfan55 and czuch like this.
  21. I need the shifter for the column. The outside column on those change out for manual or auto.

And then I need the hydramatic and the bolt in crossmember required for it.

22. glrbird

glrbird

Always loved old Hudson's, this is my Dads brand new Hudson Hornet turned race car. Have fun with it.

hudson.jpg

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Once a long time ago, I has a '52 Executive limo. Not a long stretch but way more leg room and jump seats facing backwards. It still had the American Airlines property tag in the driver's door jamb. Real nice car.
    It too, had the 327. I drove it for about a year then a older guy started losing his mind at a light.
    His first job in 1953 was driving a car just like that.
    His first job in 1953 was driving THAT CAR.
    He bought it for what I paid. Couldn't help that.
    Back to regular programming.

24. Dwardo

Dwardo

I probably have the shifter but it's gonna be a bit crusty as it's chrome plated. I have the entire steering column from a 51 Commodore with hydro up in the loft and I think it still has the shifter. I have two hydramatics. One I know is a core, and the other is a GMC hydro with a Hudson tail shaft that I think was rebuilt. You are going to convert a stick to hydro? You would also need the proper rear mounts and bell housing, and also the correct throttle and shifter linkage. The linkages were different for stick and hydro, and also single-carb and Twin-H differed. Plus different for long-wheelbase and short-wheelbase cars. You will also need to change out the rear end ratio (unless you are REALLY into stoplight drags). The starters are also different. Also driveshaft. This is all from memory but I'm pretty sure I'm right. It's not really trivial. If it were my car I'd get an overdrive transmission if it doesn't have one. That will bolt right in pretty much (driveshaft needed) and give you a useful cruising gear. If you want to go automatic I would put in a modern overdrive auto. Adapters are available for the modern GM autos. I've never done either switch but I would think putting in a modern transmission would be just as easy as putting in the Hydro if not easier.

25. Dwardo

Dwardo

Also, these things (hydros) are REALLY heavy. If you want one, you should look locally so it doesn't have to be shipped.

26. Dwardo

Dwardo

Oh yeah, one more thing ... the crankshaft on a Hydramatic car has a hole bored for the Hydro. I am fairly sure that by '54 all crankshafts would have had the hole but it is something that needs checking.

27. That gives me an idea. I've been wondering what to get my daughter, Coupe DeVille, for her birthday.

czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.