Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rattle Can vs Spray Gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Div1Racer, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

I've researched similar threads but decided to once again ask the question about the best way to refinish the underside of my ride. I want it to look nice and intend to come off some $$$ to have the exterior painted but what I'm doing underneath is satin/chassis black. While I understand placing the shell on a rotisserie and painting with a spray gun would be best, my current shop situation simply will not allow that to happen. The car is in a one bay garage and space is very limited but I have it stripped to bare metal and ready for paint. When I mentioned to a friend whos been a painter for 30 years he was horrified when I informed him of my plan to use etching primer and rattle cans to repaint the engine bay and underside of the floors on my car. He insists I use PPG DP90? I have a compressor and I suppose it's possible to spray it with a gun where it sits but it's still gonna be a hassle. My question is....will it be worth it going through all this just to use a gun? Will it be that much more durable? Feel free to share any success or horror stories about the dreaded spray bomb jobs.
    Thanks, Div1Racer.

2. Budget36

Budget36

3. You can brush the epoxy on.
    Getting those areas to bare metal is more of a hassle than painting them.
    Lots more durable if it's prepped correctly.

Get it up on the 12 Ton stands and use a pressure pot spray rig. You are going to need air supply though

loudbang likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Roll it out of the garage and get it up on some heavy duty stands and spray it on with a gun....

loudbang likes this.

5. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Either way you apply it Epoxy is ten times better than anything else you might use.

Clay Belt and loudbang like this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I went to the trouble to strip and prepare, I wouldn't rattle can it. It doesn't have to be perfect underneath but spray can isn't going to hold up as well.

Harbor Freight has specials on cheap guns for $9.99. I used one to spray my frame and firewall.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. use PPGs epoxy from the industrial line
    EPX
    much cheaper and lays down better

loudbang likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

You didn't mention what the vehicle was, but I'd still use a gun. Bob

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Shiny paint cleans an can be repaired much EZer,spraycans all have very thinned out cheep paint in them..................That should be all ya need. Using a brush on the under side of car works just fine

loudbang likes this.
  10. Lots of variables. Run through them and the answer may be easy.
    Is it going to be shown with a mirror under it?
    Do you need protection from salts, corrosion, mud, moisture, etc?
    Do you mind touching up poor rattle can paint?
    If you decide to use rattle bombs, go for better quality ones.

Personal experience? I’ve used SPI epoxy in a turbine sprayer with excellent results.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Terrible80

Terrible80

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Get some kind of padding and roll it over onto it's side outside the shop. You're not looking for show car paint on the bottom, so a few bugs won't hurt if they get into the paint. Bottom's gonna get dirty when you drive it anyway.

I have a friend who has a OT 70's Ford that came white from the factory. He said his biggest mistake when he redid the car was painting the underside with the same white paint that he painted the top with. Changed it from a driver into a seldom driver because it is so hard to keep it clean underneath....

loudbang likes this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

The paint in rattle cans is very low quality paint, especially compared to an automotive or industrial paint.

Use an epoxy primer, doesnt have to be DP90, anything from PPG various lines is going to do well.

SPI is very highly regarded,
    https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Preparation is the key.

15. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

I'm lazy lol. I cleaned and sanded then used rustoleum self etching primer and covered that with krylon satin black. My car isn't any kind of a show car and will be more of driver. 20170401_221517_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Why make your life harder than necessary? Rattle can in the morning, be done by noon. I always rattle can mine, and as is turns out I seem to sell the cars before the paint ever wears off. And I've learned that none of the guys on here telling you to do it the hard way it will ever actually be there to help with the labor or buy the equipment.

04-20-2011 03;51;25PM.JPG

seb fontana likes this.
  17. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Back around 1990 I did a quick clean up under the hood and repainted it with very cheap spray bombs....surprisingly that paint held up remarkably well over the years and I really couldn't complain. However, since the car is a 'keeper' and I've taken it this far and based on what the folks here say as well as my auto painter pal I guess I'll use a spray gun. I've sprayed before but that was a long time ago and I'm more accustomed to using the rattle cans on my junk so I was hoping there's some miracle paint or something but I guess not.
    Thanks again!!!!

18. 34Larry

34Larry

Like you I got pretty good with the rattle cans back in the 90's doing my '66 Rivi GS under the hood using black Lacquer. I got to where I could lay it down as good as any gun. I did the same under my Ford when it was time, underneath the complete car, but using black Appliance rattle can. The only problem encountered there was the drying time. So I say for smaller area's and for $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you do it right, it can be done so no one else will ever know.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There is Mr. Beans method. No need to clean the spray gun afterwards. Just lot's lot's of paper and masking tape though.
    [​IMG]

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I get a headache just looking at the label of DP90 paint and don't want to be anywhere near it when it's sprayed without a supplied air system. I like etching primer but it can be difficult to get spray cans to work under a vehicle.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

From fire wall back I painted under my Shoebox with Rustolem, bare metal primer and then black from gallon cans using a spray gun laying on my back with the car jacked up couple feet....That was 44 years ago..Has held up pretty well and the touch up goes well in the color match department...

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

There is nothing hard about using a spray gun. You pull the trigger.

Budget36 likes this.
  23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I would think that quality and long term endurance of spray can paint will
    be much less than using a spray gun. Frames need the best paint.

24. 34Larry

34Larry

It's the mixing and clean up involved. Grab a can. shake it till you hear its ball(s) rattle. Shoot, turn it upside down, spray till there ain't no material com'n out, cap the can and be done with it.

25. chubbie

chubbie

Wow, are you guys making a comparison with DP 90 and a rattle can??? And every one with a rattle can and a black finger knows whats best with out ever using both....

low down A and Hutkikz like this.
  26. wvenfield

wvenfield

Harbor Freight $9.99 gun. Toss it when you are done.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or clean it. I have been using the same one to put fresh panels into sealer, for storage, for about 7-years.

Somehow, it has yet to let me down.

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sure....just noting how easy it can be. It's pretty amazing how well their $9.99 gun works.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is truly bizarre. Of all the crappy stuff that they have sold over the years, this one thing is rock-solid.

I wonder if it is made my an OEM that makes a brand-name we'd recognize.

I am just running mine to see how long I can keep it going. HF is a few miles down the freeway, so I can get 10-more, in 20-minutes.

wvenfield likes this.