Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrected old threads

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by tubman, May 9, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lately, there seem to more and more old threads that are being brought back to life, and quite frankly, are cluttering up the board. Once in a while, there seems to be a good reason for someone to bring one back, but in most cases, it looks like "Newbies" have done a search on something that interests them, and post to an old thread that they have found because they don't feel confidant enough to start a new thread of their own. I am finding it more difficult to get to the real "good" information because of the myriad of old threads brought back. A couple of times, I have scanned the first page and counted the threads and have found that over half of the threads are old threads that have been brought back to life after as much as 12 years.

It's probably not possible, but it would be nice if the discussion board software had a feature that would warn someone posting to a thread that it is over "X" years old, and give them the option of starting a new thread. Perhaps make starting a new thread mandatory when the old one is over "Y" years old with over "Z" entries.

I know it's probably and exercise in futility, but I'm getting old and it's getting more and more difficult and time-consuming to get to the "meat" on here.

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm not sure I understand the problem...

If these are zombie threads, but still relevant, there would be a lot more info available ( multiple pages ) for the same room a new thread takes up on the title page.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ditto. Nothing at all wrong with old threads to me. More info, more answers, and far less reinventing the wheel - pun intended. Gary

4. You can see right under the title of the thread when it was initiated. If it's too old or not interesting to you, move on. Other than the loss of many pictures, the older threads often contain a great deal of good information and opinions. And like metalshapes mentions, they only take up the same room as a new thread on the title page. I think your X-Y-Z suggestion, while well intended, would only serve to add more clutter. Just my thoughts.:)......................................................Don.

5. Wouldn't sanctions on old threads be like old magazines glued shut, or parts of the library sectioned off? Who remembers libraries?

Now finding a way to bring back the tech section,,, that would be worth perusing.

Maybe improved search function, hell I can't even find my own threads sometimes and I know what I'm looking for.

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm old and I like old threads too.

7. ....................................Yeah, you know the deal, you can't make everyone happy.:D

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To me, these old threads have a lot of value... I don't mind them popping up every now and then.

9. There are new members joining everyday and the Hamb can be incredibly intimidating for a newbie,some of these new members are lead here after doing a google search and a majority of the time it happens on most searches so he found a thread that refers to his particular question and usually it is a older thread.

These threads are significant and can be a lot of help even though some of us have seen it hashed & rehashed many times over it's possibly the first time the new member has seen it.

If a member finds the particular thread to be annoying or feels some animosity about it's being brought back to life,try to remember when you first joined and just skip the thread and read something else. HRP

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

My only complaint is the pics are gone (thanks to PB) on some really incredible threads. Other than that, I like when an older thread is popped up for a viable reason.

Fern 54 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I for one would like to know what Pork n Beaner did with all those pics? ..........oh...ah....never mind.... I love old threads, lotta good info in them.

117harv and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

So what you're saying is that you want a new thread started for subject matter that has already been covered in an "older" thread? That would make even more clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.