Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 buick dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Wayne Customs, Jun 3, 2018.

1. John Wayne Customs

John Wayne Customs

Does anyone know if the dash on a 51 Buick is welded in or bolted in? If it’s welded, what’s the best way to get it out?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IF it is welded in, cut the welds with spot weld cutter and/or cutoff wheel. Probably have to remove the windshield to gain access.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. gggholson

gggholson

I thought they were bolted/screwed in. Been awhile since I removed one but I have three in my shop. Unfortunately I am gone for a few days and can’t check.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You may be correct, I can't say absolutely one way or the other, though I seem to recall GM are welded. In any case, I amended my post above accordingly.

Ray

5. BJR

BJR

My 49 Super is bolted.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. gggholson

gggholson

Assuming it is bolted in, there are bolts/brackets on either lower side. Take the glove box out and I believe you will see sheet metal screws along the upper edge. Steering column will have to be dropped and plan on spending a couple hours standing on your head!

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If it is bolted/screwed in place, typically, there is a row of screws next to the windshield, accessed by removing the w/s garnish moldings. You are correct about bolts, brackets at the sides of the dash to the door pillar.

Ray

gggholson likes this.