Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical update on 9" axle leak.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awilson40, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Thanks in advance for all of your help. I pulled the axle today, here is a pic of what is in it.
    I cleaned everything up and noticed a small tear in the outer seal. I measured everything and reassembled with the bad part of the seal up and the retainer plate in the proper position on the outside of the Brake backing plate. In my other post I noticed on the retainer plate being on the wrong side so I knew I needed to switch it.
    I'm going to order new bearings and seals and have them ready. Moser says I should stick with the tapered bearings their pn: 9BR20 as the machining in the housing is for that type and not the sealed type with the inner seal. They dont offer the other. I would like to buy the parts from them as they have been very helpful but I want the best, long term solution.
    Any opinions or bearing / seal options or sources beside Moser's 9BR20 ?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I guess I’m dating my age with this comment , I don’t know if I have ever seen that style of bearing and seal before your images showed up . The bearings and seals I have used for years look completely different . To my welding burnt , bug spattered eyes , that housing looks to be a tapered roller bearing type end that requires seal on axle first then press bearing on , then install carefully in the housing . Sorry I’m not much help . Just too long ago

3. inthweedz

inthweedz

Deathrowdave's eyes are still working fine, the bearing is a taper roller affair, (over here in New Zealand ) the Ford Falcon and Holden (GM Aussie) have that setup..
    they have a retainer that goes on first, followed by the seal, then bearing and collar..
    MAKE SURE YOU MOUNT THE SEAL AND BEARING AROUND THE RIGHT WAY..
    Every car I have checked has a lot of end-float on the axle (1/16'', might be exaggerating, but that's what it feels like without measuring it)
    Hope that helps..

4. Thanks guys, The end float was one of my concerns in the other thread. This side has .035" end play. The other side
    which wasnt leaking had .050" end play.
    The reason you dont see the retaining plate is that this side has an aftermarket retaining plate with an opening to slide it over the axle .That pic has the seal pushed back off of the bearing. Heres what it looks like with the seal on the bearing

Attached Files:

5. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

6. inthweedz

inthweedz

I've just pulled my axles (Holden GM) to do another job, but here are a couple of pics of the factory setup..
    From memory Timken do it as a kit for these bearings, not sure about 9'' Ford diffs tho, would say they are different dimensions.. DSC_5497.JPG DSC_5499.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Limited experience with 9inches, but the few I have had used the 88128 bearing..sealed unit, so may not be right for you?...I dunno.

8. Thanks, looks very simular to mine. The only difference is that the race stayed with the bearing when I pulled it.

9. Moser is not very clear on theiMoser is not very clear on their website. I'm thinking that 115 price is for 2 sets. They have another part number for just one set at 55 bucks. That makes more sense.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your call, but I would buy the bearing from Moser for two reasons, 1) they know their stuff and 2)simply because they are willing to share the information freely. The online seller can easily undercut a brick and mortar business in price, but offers nothing beyond that in service. "There is no such thing as a free lunch"......

If you had figured out the problem on your own, without Moser's input, maybe 'the best price' for the same product would be reason to buy on that basis.........but

Ray

11. oj

oj

It looks to me that there is still an additional inner race inside the housing end, best pull that out. If I understand you are putting a sealed bearing in the place of roller bearings, is that right? Looks to me there is still a piece of the old bearing you need to pull out of there.

12. You are absolutely right about buying from Moser so Thats what I'm going to do.
    They use SKF , Its just a little confusing on their site and they dont show pics for those items. But I did scroll down further and the one PN is for 2 kits to do both sides and the other PN is for a kit for just one side.
    OJ, I thought the exact same thing about the race being stuck in there. But according to Moser, thats they way they look. They recommend I stay they tapered bearing and external seal. I think the seal was damaged when it was installed. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  13. It looks like the housing takes an oil seal. If it is 2.375" in diameter, that would be a SKF 13738 which is also the National seal. I'm not 100% that you have the correct style bearing, what is the rear from?

14. We have no idea what the rear end is out of. But Moser along with others seem to concur as to the bearing and seal I need. The funny thing is that once I put it all back together with the retaining plate correct it hasn't leaked a drop. So I'll keep an ion it

15. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I fitted aftermarket bearings to mine, but one leaked. No idea why. I tried to fit the internal,oil seal that drives inside the housing, but the bearing I had fitted was thicker than stock one so the axle would not slide in as far as it was meant to. It hit the seal I had fitted.

I got the machine shop to skim a 1/16” off the back of the press- on retaining ring and then it fitted in okay.