Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mineral Spirits Dispensing...Question For Chemical Engineers???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarQuestions, Jun 2, 2018.

1. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Hey Ya'All,

I use mineral spirits to de-grease and clean car stuff however I have not found a dispensing device that will last. I have tried "chemical resistant" spray bottles and garden sprayers however after a coupld of months they die and no longer pump up. I assume that the mineral spirits is breaking down the plastic or plastic like seals...I assume that this can be answered by the chemical engineers among us.

So...does anyone else use mineral spirits for de-greasing and if so what contraption are you using to spray out the material...IF...it lasts can you PLEASE give me an Amazon hint as to what I should buy???

If there is no mineral spirits resistant contraption available what other de-greaser should I use?

Thanks for the advice!!!

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hnstray likes this.
  3. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

the Spot Sprayer looks like the ticket...THANKS!!!

4. squirrel

squirrel

I use it in my parts washer, it has an electric pump near the bottom of the barrel that pumps it up to the nozzle, and the solvent runs over the parts, and drains back into the barrel.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I use one of these to dispense a mixture of ATF/Acetone, several years now without a meltdown. Doubt mineral spirits would be harsher.
    upload_2018-6-3_1-13-30.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also use mineral spirits in my parts washer, but keep a plastic gallon bottle full for small jobs, using rags and paper towels for parts, or pour on the shop floor and mop up grease and oil.

7. X-cpe

X-cpe

We use to call the bottom one a flat-rate gun.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg image.jpg I go old school with the reilang 3 dispenser all metal no plastic

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

HA HA HA you could have done that 60 years ago or so. We used cutting fluids when building image.jpg machines and dies. The new plastic ones worked for a short time and ate away small parts. We found a coupe of old metal ones and never had issues again . The old Ford ones work even better being close to 100 years old

10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I use it in my parts washer but a $9 paint gun from HF does a good job of spraying it.
    Pete

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump.

Didn't want to fire up a new thread for this but I just resurrected one of my better spray bottles. Thought it was dried out but just the opposite, the rubber plunger was sticking in the bore. obvious once I paid attention and noticed it not returning quickly. The fix: stretcherooney of the spring. Good as new.

0913180815_resized.jpg

VANDENPLAS and Truck64 like this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_8337.JPG We used these to paint oil rigs in the field,worked great.

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Stretcherooney" being a precise technical term of course.

williebill, Just Gary and Chavezk21 like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I just used the above siphon sprayer with a degreaser [MAC'S] that washes off with water on my skid steer, can get into real tight spots with a fine enough mist to cover but not be waste full..

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

I read somewhere that you could extend the useability of the solvent by rigging cheesecloth under the drain to catch the dig chunks and adapting an oil filter to the pump pick up the fine stuff. Don't know what the change interval would be, but I imagine you could figure that out by watching the flow rate so you don't burn up the pump motor.

16. Old school fire extinguisher
    That should nock off the greese

continentaljohn likes this.