Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welder Outlet Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarQuestions, Jun 2, 2018.

1. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Greetings,

Where doe the red wire connect to the circuit breaker?

For those who are experienced in house/shop wiring...I am trying to wire up a Utilitech Model 2102S 220 Volt 50 AMP power outlet for to plug my welder into.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-50-Amp-250-Volt-Black-Indoor-Round-Wall-Rv-Power-Outlet/3775479

I will be using a red and a black 8 gauge THHN wires plus a green ground and I know how the outlet end is supposed to be connected because the instructions say to place the red wire on the X lug and the black wire on the Y lug...got it.

So the wires are run to my curcuit breaker and I know where to connect the green wire...but what lug of the two 220V circuit breakers do I connect the red and the black wires?

THANKS for the advice!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

You have to use a 240/220 v CB, it won't matter which wire goes to which lug, as one will take 120v from one side, and the other 120v from the other side.

osage orange likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

It's AC, doesn't matter which wire connects to which lug on the 220 V breaker. Red and Black to the breaker and Green to the ground buss.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Thanks so much! I've wired-up 220 before and I've always use two black wires plus the green or bare copper so I was surprised to see that the instructions for the outlet called out a red wire and a black wire and that the outlet had an X pole and a y Pole. Again thanks for your help!

5. It doesn't matter, but if you want to use the 'standard' color coding, the black wire goes on the A phase and red on the B phase.

osage orange likes this.
  6. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

>black wire goes on the A phase and red on the B phase.

Since I am really all about trying to do things the right way, what lug of the circuit breaker would be the a phase and what would be the B phase?

7. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Going down the column of full space breakers, each full space is an pole(phase). Install an appropriately sized two pole breaker. And hook your wires up to each pole. Doesn't matter which is A or B it just needs to create '250'V with two '125'V legs.

8. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Got it...so what you are saying is that I am going to wire it up with "220 or 221...whatever it takes..."

Thanks again for the advice!!!

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In AC power white is neutral, Green is ground, and all other colors are to be considered hot leads. In house wiring black and red are the norm but other colors can occasionally be found.

j-jock likes this.
  10. 52HardTop

52HardTop

You really don't want to run #8s. You should be running #6s if your fusing at 50 Amps.

osage orange and bct like this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

If its in a residential garage, check your code. I ended up running 4 prong dryer outlets and converted the welder plug as well.

If youre not selling your house anytime soon, or dont mind taking it out, disregard.

squirrel likes this.