Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/t Shipping A Windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatflatty, May 10, 2006.

1. fatflatty

fatflatty

I'm Trying To Get Fellow Hamber "cranium" A Windshield From Texas To California In One Peice. Any Idea On How To Ship It And It Arrive Without Making Noises In The Box And Pouring It Out Of A Crack In One End? If Any Of You Have Shipped A Windshield Before Please Advise How You Did It Successfuly. Any Suggestions Would Be Appreciated. Thanks In Advance.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I haven't shipped a windsheild yet but would get some of that black split foam tube you wrap pipes with and put it on the edge of the class then wrap it in foam wrap. If you have a sports supply shop close by the boxes Tule ski racks come in work real well, just cut then to size. FedEx Ground is the way I ship, but DHL is good too.:)

3. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I shipped an A windshield glass to Kansas...used plywood, a couple of layers of cardboard, duct taped the package...no problems.

4. a guy about 3 miles from me sells glass for 55-57 chevies , ships windshields all the time. he has big boxes that are foam lined , and has foam blocks inside to help support the glass. i'd check around some of the local restoration shops/body shops/glass shops to see if they have any shipping containers like this left over...probabilly get it for free to haul it away

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Be sure to insure it for enough to cover a replacement and shipping, especially if it's a hard to find piece.

6. fatflatty

fatflatty

Thanks Guys I Appreciate Your Input. Hey Cranium You Listening Out There. We May Have A Solution.

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Then if your REALLY parniod, make the plywood box a bit larger (on all sides) put some scraps of cardboard (folded) to hold the glass and cardboard in the center of the box.

Drill a few holes around the perimeter of the edges of the outer box; go to your favourite hardware store and buy a can of SPRAY FOAM INSULATION and inject it inside the box. Just needs a little in each hole.

8. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

You didn't say what kind of a windshield. If it is a 50's or 60's car I have always gone to the local new car dealer and gotten the box from them that their new windshields come in. They are generally glad to be rid of them.

B:DB

9. brandon

brandon

i was going to say the same thing about the foam .....wrap the glass in a garbage bag ....and suspend it in foam in a box.....my radiators are packaged this way .......brandon

10. fatflatty

fatflatty

Man I Never Thought About The Spray Foam. Its A 53 Ford Windshield. Thanks.

11. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

Also try a bicycle shop. They have some good boxes, and a lot of foam/padding, when they get the unassembled bikes shipped to them (windshield size)
    Tito

12. Cranium

Cranium

Hmmm...
    So you mean wrapping a curved windshield 3 times with the tiny pink bubble wrap, sticking it in a mirror box and taping it shut with duct tape isn't gonna cut it? ;)
    Well, dang. I guess now I understand why there's a busted brand new windshield on my porch right now. I'm sure the dude I got it from is nice and everything, but man... that was the worst pack-job I've seen on ANYTHING I've gotten from Ebay.

I thought about the spray-foam thing. I just can't conceive of how to do it for less than like a million dollars in materials (that stuff's expen$ive!) Unless there's a cheaper version of the stuff out there.

I was talking to fatflatty last night, and I was thinking just wrap the shit out of it with the BIG bubble wrap stuff until it looks like a giant football. Stick it in a box and send her off.
    Insured, of course.

But I'm open to any of these ideas as long as I do n't have to make another appointment w/ UPS claims!

13. Cranium

Cranium

Hey Fatflatty-
    You know anyone that's coming out to Paso?

14. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I just shipped one from Laramie, WY to Lincoln, NE. I made a carboard box that was roughly 6" bigger on all sides, and then another 6" bigger than that one on all sides. I tripple wrapped it in bubble wrap, each layer with bigger bubbles. Then double boxed it with plenty of foam board, air bags and peanuts around the two boxes. Cost me $130 to sent it 500 miles. Ouch.

****Make sure you get the max size dimensions from whatever carrier you are going to use...I was LUCKLY 2" under on my big box...else it would have been forced to go freight and been about triple the price!!******

15. DrJ

DrJ

That's cheap.
    At California gas prices that would cost over $80 in gas one way to drive it there.

On the shipping box:
    Stencil "!CAUTION! GORILLA EGGS!"