Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What are the chances??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, May 30, 2018.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I dropped the Hudson off at the shippers this morning for delivery back to Australia after doing a 6000 mile round trip across USA and back. I imagine my surprise when they got me to park the car in a spot and the car behind me was an A coupe(nice car too) that was being shipped for a friend in Brisbane. Note the sign advising that brake shoes(and probably clutch pads) were removed as our Customs comes down hard if there is any asbestos in the vehicle.John knows his stuff and has been importing for years so it would be done right. 20180531_051812_resized_3.jpg 20180531_053544_resized_2.jpg 20180531_053515_resized_1.jpg

abill, Deuces, olscrounger and 9 others like this.
  2. do you think there really was asbestos in the brake shoes? i don't they have used that in replacement shoes for many years...and i doubt it has original shoes

3. Doesn't matter our Border Force (Customs) have gone full retard on enforcing the import of Asbestos. They only need to suspect there is asbestos and they will quarantine/hold until testing is carried out, on your dime no less.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Not the point. Customs will want to pull things apart to check if you have brake or clutch parts in there.

Nothing can come in with asbestos. Shit hit the fan when new (guess who) Chinese vehicles were being imported here, supposedly compliant, but were found to have asbestos in parts. Now all cars have to be checked. Better to have anything suspect removed before it lands here and the customs dudes get hold of it .

INVISIBLEKID and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I just learned about this...I've been watching Mighty Car Mods videos on Youtube, they recently imported a 240Z from Japan and had to deal with this - no brake pads, no clutch allowed. I forget the amount, but the fines for violating the rules are crazy.

6. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

So my question is...do they make shoes and clutch discs that are asbestos free?

7. hudson48

hudson48

I would think they are now with all the health issues that have been attributed to asbestos.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it is a small world after all - your ride is beautiful

jim snow likes this.
  9. I just read a report not too many months ago that stated that there is still quite a bit of asbestos used in the world today for brake and clutch parts as well as non-automotive applications still finding their way into Canada.

The use of asbestos has yet to be banned in Canada, and imported parts are not always asbestos free. A complete ban of asbestos parts is supposed to happen in 2018 ... sometime. I don't know if it has happened yet or not. So yeah, it's quite possible to buy parts containing asbestos in Canada today, and quite possibly other parts of the world where you would think otherwise.

10. So if someone purchases, say, a brand new Holden with a stick shift. The car should or is compliant? Just curious. A search brings up lots of importing info for collector cars.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. The only Holdens you can buy would be last years model, as they packed up their manufacturing plant here last year, but the clutch is supposed to be asbestos-free, same with the brakes, but who knows? The Guvmint has a deathwish for all old cars to be imported, and having an asbestos ban is a handy way of slowing it down.

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. Yes, nothing made here for a couple of decades has been allowed to use asbestos in components.

13. elba

elba

I should be dead . I did hundreds of brake jobs in the 60's and 70's and just blew of the brake backing plates with the air nozzle . I am 70 and doing fine. On a side note I have a pilot friend that is 6 ft 2 inches, looks like an NFL Q-back, never smoked, never worked around chemicals and he just fond out he has stage 3 lung cancer . Go figure .

Hnstray likes this.