Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bolt Pattern Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LIVFRD, May 30, 2018.

1. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Ok, this might be a silly noob question and I realize I run the risk of embarrassing myself, but...

I ordered the 1948-1956 Ford Half Ton Deluxe Disc Brake Kit, 5 x 4-1/2 Inch kit from Speedway motors and a set of Allied Wheel 61B Series from Jegs. Everything was carefully ordered to be spec'd at 5 x 4 1/2 pattern.

Rims came yesterday, went to put them on and it appears that the rotors that came with the disc conversion set have a bolt pattern just tighter than the spec'd 5 x 4 1/2". I have to measure it, but it's almost like 5 x 3/8", if I had to guess. I have an old adapter plate to change the lug pattern to 5 x 4-1/2 and that fits on the new rims fine. Is there something basic I'm missing here, like an adjustment on the lugs or something?

Thanks,

Eric

2. Are you measuring correctly? Center of one lug to the outside of an opposite lug is correct, or rather close enough.

3. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

I'll check again tonight. Thing is, it's so painfully close it's like a manufacturing error or something, thats why I was wondering about adjustability.

4. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

That was one of my first thoughts too, but if it was 5 x 4.75, then the star would be wider, this is clearly tighter to the center. Great call on the template, bet I could pick one up at a local parts store tonight. Thanks!

5. tighter in relation to the rim bolt pattern? maybe they sent the wrong rim?

6. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

No, tighter to the center of the rim. Picture a line coming straight out of the center of the dust cap and going straight through the center of the lug, the lugs are all rubbing on the inside of the hole as though they are too close to the dust cap (but just a hair). I actually was able to get an old rim to fit on the rotor, but I couldn't get the lug nuts on.

7. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

measure bolth the wheel and the rotor and which ever is out of spec assume the company sent you the wrong/defective parts and get on the horn to replace or refund and buy elsewhere..

if its speedway probably from someone else..

8. wonder if they sent you a metric something or other... box got labeled wrong, wrong part in the right box....
    9 times out of 10 when i am dealing with an "almost fits" issue i find a metric part in the mix somewhere...lol
    http://wheellugpattern.com/Metric_Inch_Chart.htm

Hnstray and ClayMart like this.
  9. You need one of these. 05302018.jpg

LIVFRD likes this.
  10. Can you post a pic?

My guess would be it's more of that lovely offshore manufacturing where "close enough" tolerances make it out the door regularly......

11. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

My gut tells me you're probably right. I'll try to post a pic later tonight. Thanks!

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Mazda, Audi, Mercedes and VW all used a 5 x 112 mm (4.409") bolt pattern.

13. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Oh bloody hell... Mazda, thats got to be it! That whole Ford/Mazda partnership.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

That wheel has both 5 on 4 1/2 and 4 3/4. Sure you are using the correct holes.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  15. Betting this is it.

16. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

You’re spot on.

Wow, looks like I went and embarrassed myself after all.

Thanks for the help all

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

prewarcars4me and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ........................Hey, We've all been there.:)

Hnstray, prewarcars4me and LIVFRD like this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

At least you are man enough to admit it. We've all been there at one time or another.
    SPark

LIVFRD likes this.
  19. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

Thanks. No shame in making mistakes, just gotta learn from them when you do! (Even the really obvious ones...)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app