Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Well, looks like I selected the wrong pressure plate. Went for 990 lbs,, not quite, almost, enough (Adjusted to max ). Ordered another one yesterday, 1640 lbs, should get here Wednesday. And the beat goes on . Btw, I could send mine back to RAM for an upgrade, time crunch won't allow. I will send it back for upgrade when the new one arrives and use that one in the 53. Hey, I can dream !

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Made me some bolt on breather tubes (baffled) for my MT valve covers today. List is getting short ! valve covers.jpg

3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Finally got the Fiddle Picker ready ! Two transmissions, two pressure plates later. Finished with all the engine bay correct stuff (Mallory distributor, black cap, old style coil. M T valve covers with home-made breather tubes and diaper installed). Correct wheels and tires, cut-off switch inside trunk with push-off lever and the list goes on. Going to Knoxville in 2 weeks. Yeah ! legal fiddle picker.jpg

48fordnut, Floater03, enloe and 6 others like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

5. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Congrats! Job well done too!

enloe, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks ! Still have things I want to do , tidy up inside the trunk (still completely original 65 yr old paint), sand and paint my exposed front frame rails etc. All of the "had to" stuff is done. My brother's on my a** hard about paint, I told him "knock yourself out after Knoxville ", I'm tired !

7. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Nice to have family and friends to push you forward.

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

good job. See you in Knoxville. It would look good Candy Apple red.

enloe and Fiddle Picker like this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Thanks Mike ! You ready ? I did do real candy apple red with gold base on the rear wheels. The only thing I don't like is sometimes in pics, they look orange ! Probably going with a lighter blue metallic for the body, still not sure. Got to get it down the track first (this shot still had home-made slappers). rear wheels.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi FP.Here`s wishing you the best in Knoxville.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

No. I will not be ready. The more I get done the more I find that I have to do.

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Man, Have I been there with mine !! Set your goal, then add six months !

13. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Keep plugging away boys!!!! C/G is getting mighty full, but the more the merrier!!!!!

14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Yes it is.. Only problem is looks like only top 16 get to race I've heard rumblings of. Only makes you dig deeper in the well.

Bowtie Coupe and Hang'emHigh like this.
  15. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Or your pocket!! lol

16. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I hope Quain doesn't do something like that Johnny. That would suck to show up to a race and not get in the field because of a set bracket. Keep banging away!

17. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

It would suck, but C/Gas has the potential of having a bigger field than A and B combined in the near future, have to draw a line somewhere. 32 would only be one more round. Unless a couple of the B/Gas cars are reeled in somehow there will be some more of them adding weight or less c.i. and running C/Gas which will make it even tougher. BTW, I plan on being top 16 anyway when my engine is done. We will see how it goes and hopefully have a little fun along the way.
    Would not want Quain's job.

18. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

32 cars would be killer. Plus the more cars you are running in C, or any class for that matter, gives drivers time to cool 'em down for the next round without the down time that spectators don't like.(are ya listening Quain?o_O

19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

He's got a pretty good hold on that Tiger's Tail !! Mucho respect. We will have some fun and see what the future holds.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I ran with the Classic Gassers and they had too many cars they just made another class to let the slower cars run. They just ran for a trophy with no pay out. It was good for the racers and for the crowd. The crowd did not know the difference and enjoyed the extra racing.
    Supposing it rains you only get one qualifying attempt and miss a gear and can't make the top 16.
    If I towed 500 miles or more I would be upset if I couldn't run.
    It is a double edged sword for Quain, one hand the growth of the group is amazing. The growth of the group will cause growing pains.

21. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

A460E015-D319-4E91-8D3F-E472191CE657.jpeg 6DDB3C6E-03D4-42C0-90A6-680413073ABE.jpeg Had a good time hanging out with you Johnny! Car is awesome, you’ll be a threat soon.

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Thanks for the pics Zak ! I enjoyed the weekend pitting with you and your Dad. I will get that clutch thing ironed out and see you guys again soon !

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

For us stay at homes, What's going on about your clutch?????????

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  24. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yes we’ll pit again soon! Dad loves your car, he said he’ll bring the sawzall for those quarters next time!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Yea, don't forget the case of beer and the blind-folds for me !! Had fun Zak !!

loudbang and Zak Hall like this.
  26. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Dave. Evidently I don't have enough base pressure. Adjusted all the way up. Don't know if centrifugal is going to work either as it doesn't start applying til after 5K. I've got a 6k motor, might not spin fast enough to do any good. Not sure what I'm going to do right now with the current motor in it may have to go with high base pressure non adjustable until the other motor is ready.

loudbang likes this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you send it back and have them put more weight in the centrifugal to make it hook earlier?

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Mine is not centrifugal capable. First one was, won't fit in my scatter shield. You can change your own weights on the ones that have the extended arms. I'm gonna change my scatter shield soon and solve that problem.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

fiddlepicker and odd rod.jpg Starting line pic from Knoxville. Lined up with the Odd Rod.

30. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got my clutch back from RAM. Installed and appears to be ok. Finished early and got the cutter after the rear wheel wells. Putting some slots on next week. fiddle picker cut fenders.jpg