Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drill chucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, May 27, 2018.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Picture center are two 20v drills, one I put the keyed Jacobs chuck on.
    Side note...remember when cordless drills first came out? Somewhere around here I have a 3 volt...then a 6 volt, and a 12 volt. In the 90s a contractor friend stops by to show off his (expensive then) 18 volt drill. I told him if they keep going they'll be up to 120 volts again! :) 20180528_171417.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hnstray likes this.
  2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You're right but I'm kinda getting used to 'hand job':D

milwscruffy likes this.
  3. I haven't change one yet but my drill bit and other bits I use have the 3 flat spots and never come loose.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite appropriate!:D

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Your name 1oldtimer tells me this won't be news to you but those that don't know need to be careful with a 3 flat shank drill bit especially the larger sizes and using them in high torque 1/2" drill motors (Milwaukee, etc), those will hurt you if the bit catches.

sevenhills1952 and Hnstray like this.

6. True, never stand or have your hands on the torque side.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried this this weekend. Either I did it wrong or the Craftsman won't work this way, but it didn't help.

9. I know a guy, he weighs in at 120 and had a big drill catch in something at work. He all but twisted both hands off at the wrists. Has not worked a day since the accident.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I hate my Milwaukee Magnum drill because the trigger covers 3 fingers so it's impossible to let off without letting go with one hand. At least at home I still have the handle on it. At work, they guys would break it or take it off.
    [​IMG]

11. 3spd

3spd

Harbor freight sells replacement keyed 1/2" Jacobs chucks for hand drills for $9.

I have a small drill press with a keyless chuck and I hate it as it doesn't have a locking feature, but I just bought a new Milwaukee cordless drill for my dad and it has the locking chuck which works quite well. Still think I'd prefer a keyed chuck on a drill press.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe a Chinese knockoff of a Jacobs chuck, but not a Jacobs brand chuck.

pat59 likes this.
  13. 3spd

3spd

It is probably licensed but it does say Jacobs on the box... and he's putting on a "chinese knockoff" Craftsman drill so it fits with the theme.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It's pretty simple. Get away from the cheap keyless chucks and go to a good one. They lock, they don't just tighten. You can physically hear and feel the "click" when they lock in place. They don't slip and are much easier to tighten and loosen than a keyed chuck. Like I said earlier in this thread, the only ones I have found that are quality and work every time are Milwaukee. I currently have the 18V series and they are the best I have ever had.
    Save yourself some headache and buy quality. This is one place Milwaukee really is better than anything else I have ever had.
    SPark

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

For cripes sake, what's the world coming to when Jacobs sells out.
    What next......Jacobs chucks at Walmart.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Then you really wouldn't like this one, it's still turning after you release the trigger.

20180530_084020.jpg 20180530_084418.jpg

17. Sadly 98% of Milwaukee tools are now made in China. It is what it is.....

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A $9 chuck (even one made in China) sounds a lot better to me than a new $200 drill. Actually, I think I'll haunt the local garage sales and see if someone has an old American drill that has a problem I can get cheap.

19. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Back at the homepage there's a metal case drill from the 40s. Non polarized plug, and shop power was supplied by one hot wire. The neutral was a driven ground outside.
    If plugged in backwards it felt like worms crawling up your arm and it sparked when you tried to drill metal clamped in the vice.

This is interesting...

A household drill was used to save a boy's life in Australia. The boy suffered from potentially fatal bleeding within the brain after a fall from his bicycle. Lacking any surgical equipment suitable for the task, the attending doctor decided to use a household drill stored in the hospital maintenance room in order to relieve the blood pressure in the boy's brain. If this had not been done, the boy would have died in minutes. The doctor performed the procedure and was guided by a neurosurgeon over the phone. The boy was later airlifted to a larger hospital and recovered.

20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Back at the home PLACE...darn spellchecker!

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hey E,
    My wife's dad had this old silver looking Shopmate 1/2 inch drill in his tool box. He was getting on in age without ever using that drill, so he offered it to me when we first got married. That corded, key chuck drill worked for us really well, drilling through thick hatchcover metal, steel plates, and any size of wood beam with ease. A little muscle was required.

I used that drill until it kicked the bucket and the local fix it repair guy asked if i needed it repaired anytime soon. He said that the major motor part was due to be replaced and they were hard to find. So, ever since, I have used a 1/4 inch corded drill until several years ago.

Now a days, there is no need for a massive drill with umpteen horsepower. For 99% of the drill requirements for us has been a cordless Bosch drill and and a corded 1/4 drill. If one looses power or gets stuck, the corded one blasts through most jobs with ease.

Jnaki
    I still have a fairly strong grip, use a silicone hot pad for any other gripping needs and there is always a locking set of vise grips. But, who knows what the future holds, currently, the smaller powerful cordless drill works for us.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    1oldtimer likes this.
  22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

A Klein strap wrench makes pretty easy work of tightening loosening and not leaving marks.
    Supposedly even made in USA, although it would not surprise me if the box or tool is labeled differently.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...-Strap-Wrench-with-6-in-Handle-S-6H/100648057.

I'm thinking of splurging on a carbide jawed chuck or two one of these days.
    One or two spun drills flattens the jaw teeth of a "regular" chuck, making it just about useless.

And, the 1/2" Milwaukee handle gets used almost as often as the drill. The Magnum "hole shooter" is a beast.

23. These are sweethearts... I love my Magnum. You do have to pay attention however...

This is the one that will hurt you....

0000326-milwaukee-hole-hawg-heavy-duty-drill.jpg

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Milwaukee had switch problems for many years and they seemed to fail in the on mode. Maybe high current welds them together.

25. Yeah, maybe you can get their number from the Yellow Pages:rolleyes:

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

We had an old Skil 3/4 inch drill that would break bits or arms. The safety director finally made us get rid of it because it wasn't double insulated and caused too many injuries. I often took things like that home. I have a drill press and grinders that didn't have guards. I didn't want that drill. We usually had two people to use it. One drilling and one ready to pull the plug.

We changed to a magnet drill and annular cutters to drill truck frames. Much safer and faster. If you need to oblong the hole slightly it can just be moved over slightly without jumping or binding.
    [​IMG]

27. I still use my grandfathers tools, the die cast shiny case jig saw finally wore out the round bushings.....I'm trying to find/make a replacement for and the Montgomery Ward drill gave it up in the 90's :(.

jnaki likes this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tubman, I must agree with you. I'm 74 and I pretty good shape and my son just bought a great Milwaulkee set of 18v tools. I can't seem to make hand drill chuck tight either. Maybe one or two holes and that it. It's a bear when making repair at the track or in his garage. It's mostly drilling out and replacing pop rivets on our dirt stock car after a night racing there is always repairs.
    I think the golden years are just a little rusty.....

milwscruffy likes this.