Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to use for an Old Wings S.W. fuel gauge sender

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by solidaxle, May 28, 2018.

1. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I have a 32 tank with a six hole mounting plate, all the newer ones are 5 hole. I need something to work with 6 volt and the correct resistance. I think it needs to be between 240- 33 ohms, but not sure. Drake has one but it's out of stock. Who else has them?

2. scruff

scruff

Btt I'd like to know as well

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. alchemy

alchemy

I had a 1950's NOS SW Standard Series tulip needle fuel gauge for my 32, but it was a 12 volt. I used a new SW sender like the one linked above. Worked fine (except I probably need to adjust my float to more accurately show the level), but I needed to redrill/tap the tank for the new screw pattern. No big deal, just use a magnet to fish all the shavings out of the tank. Sorry can't help you out for your 6 volt issue.

BsSpeedo2.jpg

4. Fordors

Fordors

5. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Thanks everyone. I'll give them a try.
    I may do what Alchemy did and leave the modified 32 fuel outlet where it is.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I installed my new sender in the original sender/pickup hole. I also welded a new bung into the top of the tank for a separate pickup tube. And another bung for a rollover valve/vent combo. When you are adding things to the top of the tank, be aware how much (little) space there is between the floor and the tank.

7. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Ok . A rollover valve sounds like a good idea. Is it just a check valve? Where might I purchase one?

8. alchemy

alchemy

For the rollover valve I used one from here: https://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/catalog/pickup_tube-conn_hose.pdf Part number 119-1810

For the pickup, I soldered a piece of steel line into the downward end of a brass elbow. Reamed the male pipe end for the tube and soldered it in. With an inverted flare for the outside end, pointing forward to a short length of steel line up and over the rear crossmember.

For the bungs I used to weld into the top of the tank, I bought a steel union with female pipe threads in each end, and cut it in half. Welded in nice and low to the surface for clearance.

bct likes this.
  9. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Great idea!
    Thanks