Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Windshield options - chopped 1930 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChoppaScott, May 29, 2018.

1. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

Seeking some advice on who to buy a windshield frame for my 1930 coupe from.

Before I start, let me say I'm leaning towards an aluminum frame purely because I think I'll need to modify it because of the chop and the price of chroming steel here in Australia is ridiculously expensive!

My cars been chopped 3 inches. I've seen a few companies selling frames for 2 inch chops but nothing in aluminum. Has anyone here bought a standard height aluminum one and modified it? Is it as simple as removing the top cap, trimming the sides down then putting the top cap back on? I'm assuming the answer is no but why?

I'm going to need a full windshield with hinges, seals etc. Everything except for the glass. I'll get that made over here.

Any tips you guys have learnt the hard way?

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Yes it really is that simple. Sometimes guys feel the need to narrow the header side to side when they chop an A a lot. If you didn't, you can still use a stock width top rail/hinge.

May need to slightly bend the side rails outward to match the top rail, but it will probably be a quarter inch at most. You can actually just lay the top rail at the chop amount before cutting and see.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

Now that's exactly what I wanted to hear! I thought it would be doable but you don't know sometimes until you ask.

Any brands to go for or avoid?

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Mine is being chromed by someone near you just remember to check it all assembled with hinge and seal in place, yours is 30/31?

5. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

Yep, mines a 30. Figure I'll order as many seals etc as I can from the same place to make sure they're all compatible.

6. Hi Scotty,
    I have an aluminium frame on the A-400 if you want to take a look. Looks like the top will unscrew, and then be shortened as you suggest.

7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Might have a 30/31 hinge here somewhere....... go look at the Snyder’s site, they are good to deal with.

8. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

That'd be good if we could. Planning on ordering it soon but it's not time critical. Let me know when it's convenient and I'll pop over if that's ok?

9. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

Snyder's looks pretty good. I'll contact them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Over the years there have been plenty of stories of windshield frames getting chromed, and then rusting out soon after. Seems it's hard to get all the chemicals rinsed out of the insides, and those promote rust. I'd bet it's worse on a rechrome of an original frame (pre-rusted on the inside). An aluminum frame will require a touch up polish every now and then, but it's not gonna rust out.

11. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

I agree with your comments alchemy. I've spent a lot of money over the years getting parts rechromed just because the chrome was beginning to blister or flake off.

Btw.. that dash panel I ordered arrived a few days ago. I couldn't be happier with it mate. It's a thing of beauty!