Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2018 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 12, 2017.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good news!!!!
    What was the problem?

loudbang likes this.
  2. I got to collect the king bonehead crown for this one! The NOS late 80's Cloyes double roller timing set had two "0" marks. We didn't have the paperwork when were assembling the engine and I picked the wrong mark, making the cam off by, about 30 degrees or so. Dad found the correct info on Cloyes web page and noticed the newer sets are marked differently.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well that could be a tough one to find.
    Good job getting it sorted out.

loudbang, Deuced Up!, enloe and 2 others like this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Made a little progress today.Got the brake/clutch pedal support w/new roller bearings back in the car for the final time,got the master cylinder bolted back on,and began assembling the pedals,stops,and spring,but had to put everything on hold and get ready for work.
    Should be able to finish it up in the morning after work,and get started on the clutch the following day.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

What would you guys recommend for a generator to use for the track to charge my battery? I made a first pass last week and lost power half way down the track. Either the tune was too rich or magneto dead. Couldn't start because battery was dead. Points in mag looked fine. I have a few things to figure out. Thanks

loudbang, Gammz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Scott Mize

Scott Mize

Cheap harbor freight 7amp. It’s about $85. But check your charger they usually pull about 3.5 amps. This leaves you some amps for led light too

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  7. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Actually when I ordered the intake I got the one without the breather holes. Thought it would make it easier to control oil spewing out its inner. :D

9. Bill is the mag a vertex?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

11. A vertex puts out very little power even when new. The magnets do require maintenance. They re zap them or better yet have them replaced with permanent earth magnets. The other option is going with a Mallory 4 or 5. Better yet is a msd getting rid of mechanical points all together. The situation with the mag will only get worse when you add nitro. I know a guy on the south side of milwaukee that services mags if you want the info pm me or call me tonight.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope you are not using one of those cheap chrome distributor hold downs. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  13. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

The mag was just rebuilt and only had time on the dyno. It did seem to have very little spark. What about the cool nostalgia look?

loudbang likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What kind of plug gap are you running?

loudbang likes this.
  15. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We ran .022 in the sprint car running alcohol.

17. we ran .018-20 mags can be sensitive things. a rough road during transport can knock one out. pro teams pull the mags and put them in foam lined boxes during transport. tire shake is a mag killer. we always disconnect our mags before any welding is done on the car. from your previous post you said the engine died at half track. even with a dead battery the mag should still fire and keep the car running. everyone has a different idea of rebuilt. Im not sure I would take it back to were the work was done. did they give you any specs on how many amps it put out? they don't even make one amp when new. as far as the look goes I would rather have a car that performs with a non era correct part than sitting in the pits with a non running period correct car. those little vertex mags are fine on injected cars. when the cylinder pressure goes up due to the blower they don't have enough juice to light the fuel. the guy in Milwaukee is ram racing 13th and rawson befind the gas station se corner. he can actually run the mag on a test stand to see what its doing not just putting parts in it. he has parts in stock. I have used him many times. just a thought here. on the 65 when we first brought it out the engine would do a similar thing yours is doing. what the problem turned out to be was as the car accelerated the fuel pump shut off valve was closing. we changed the cable setup and the problem was solved. next time you run the car if this happens make note of the shut off position.

18. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Car won't fire.

loudbang likes this.
  19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Sounds like the mag has bit the bullet but be sure and check that fuel shut off as well

20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

I feel like there’s a little bait n switch going on here....

55belairx2, loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Norb he didn't show you the heads that have a flat combustion chamber lmao

chryslerfan55, loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is he building a 409? :confused:

chryslerfan55, loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

IMG_1055.JPG

Looks real pretty doesn't it I hate to do it to those pretty imperial covers but I'm gonna have to put some breathers in anyone got some they want to part with and yeah I'm being picky and want some early ones that match the era

25. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

With the cam off 30 degrees (cam or crank degrees?), I'm surprised valves didn't get bent.

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  26. That makes two of us! That was 30 degrees of crank rotation out. We were out working on it tonight, got her the timing sorted out a bit, a few leaks fixed and and some of the throttle linkage issues worked out. The next step is to get some shakedown runs.

27. I have some original offy breathers I was going to sell at bowling green. if you want a pic I can send one. these are about 4 inches long. offenhauser cast into the top. polished but used.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Hey Fellas, thanks for hosting an incredible event. Shooting for next year, to send a few guys, to attend.
    By no means trying to copy The Meltdown Drags. Just filling a gap, for nostalgia Drags in the Sunshine State.
    We are truly humbled by all the attendees. “Build it, and they will come”
    JT
    IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3107.JPG

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Been working night shift,and haven’t had time to finish up the car,but did get around to doing a little pinstriping with a paint marker on my bike at work...
    IMG_1505.JPG

That’s really all I got at this point...

Scott

30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

loudbang and Gammz like this.