Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GMC 302 flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wuga, May 29, 2018.

1. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone ever machined a 235 flywheel to fit a GMC 302? A search on here says that you can use the 235 bell housing but not the flywheel. I don't have a 302 flywheel to compare and before I start that long and arduous search for one, I'd like to try the 235 unit. If you are a 302 guy, just tell me it can't be dome or that with enough money, it can. As an alternative, does anyone have a 302 flywheel to sell? This would be a 6 bolt unit.
    Thanks
    Warren

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a steel small block chevy flywheel machined for a 302 gmc. Also, I think the gmc 6's had two different bolt patterns so verify before you buy one. Other than that also check the ring gear tooth count on the flywheel.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The 235 flywheel isn't close No good. Go on Inliners International site and see if you can't get a GMC wheel. I used a billet steel flywheel. Maybe from Cliffords. Long time ago. PM Jimmy6 on here and see if he has a spare.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got no spares but a BBC will work if redrilled, was told to me by Ron Hamel at 10,000 RPM years ago. I traded Gary Hart for one and still have it but never tried it.
    It will have a 168 ring gear and will need Pontiac flywheel bolts, Grade 8 and shoulder. May need to be ground thinner to miss the clutch disc springs. If you could buy a new steel one with no holes but the center it would be stronger.
    The last custom one I bought was $500. I see cast irons on eBay for $ 250... Good luck

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

If you are gonna race you need a steel flywheel. I made one from a SBC 168 tooth. Rebored center hole to GMC size, drilled new bolt pattern to match 6 bolt GMC, and had to plug one existing hole. Needed to shim starter 1/8 inch for tooth contact, Maybe not necessary, but I did it to get the starter in the same place as on the GMC, just a shim under the starter, simple. We run our race engine to 6500 rpm.
    Oh, yeah, I tried 10,000 rpm , too. it was $700 two years ago. And they wanted a GMC shipped to them to copy and then ship both wheels back to NJ.

6. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, good info to follow up on.
    Warren

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, gas pumper. When I had dual disc made at at 10,000 made for Joe Fontanas 12 port I had them make me just a flywheel. I had to leave my one stock iron GMC with them too. When I went to pickup everything they couldn't " find" the stock one. I sat down in Ron Hamels office and said " I can wait till you find it." Funny it only took a few minutes. I did this in 1997 and the lone flywheel was $500 then.