Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical united pacific trunk braces 39-40, too short?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, May 26, 2018.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased a set of trunk/tool box braces for my 39 Ford Tudor, United Pacific parts, purchased through Summit. My excitement went south in a hurry as they're at least 6" too short. I searched here and fordbarn a cpl times and found nothing to indicate a reason for this, or if they're actually for another car/body style. I guess my question is me testing myself as I thought all 38 Deluxe, 39 Std and Deluxe and 40 Std and Deluxe Tudors are all the same rear body/trunk area. These are the braces over the tool box, under the wooden panels. They look right and would make doing the tool box repair a whole lot easier and better looking. Sadly all 3 are way too short. Anyone else crash into this? Are there differences in Deluxe and Std 39 trunks? As always, thanks in advance for insights, and I'm still waiting to hear from UP or Summit about it.

This is the parts desc:

http://www.uapac.com/antique/1939-40-ford-passenger-car-trunk-floor-tool-box-braces.html

A picture:

[​IMG]

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

3. eberhama

eberhama

Those are coupe ones. Sedans are longer. I can get you a pic of them side by side if you want, was just messing with mine today.

The37Kid and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, the ad is wrong. Not all "passenger car" are the same. Coupe vs. sedan.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, so UP needs to get it right. I'm guessing nobody makes them for sedans, yes? If that's indeed the case I need to decide to either extend these or return em. They're good heavy steel and look right, for a cpe...:confused:

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

All the UP parts are for coupes not sedans. Read their literature.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Read their literature? It says right there on their website "passenger cars ". I'd guess that UP should either owe you your money back, or at least offer a little discount.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can return em. Need to decide if that's the way to go 1st.

And yeah, there's nothing in their 39-40 schtick that specifies coupe only.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

But all the same all that they are building is a coupe body. Just put two and two together.

10. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

...difficult for some folks to be wrong; easier for them to find other ways to make themselves appear correct.

seabeecmc and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Complicated looking stamping so making them would be difficult I would think, maybe not. If you extended the "flat" part somehow would they work for your sedan?

Good luck with it.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I ship em back I'll look at extending the set to fit. I'm not being uber fussy but I'd like it to look somewhat correct when finished and still support the plywood decks right. Then again maybe I take mine out and clean em up. If I modify I'll cover it here or in my build thread.

5window likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

Maybe, but you shouldn't need to be a forensic detective to figure out their catalog statements.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Looks like a business op for you. You make good stuff-domestically. What say you?

UP, should add "Coupe only, does not fit Sedans" in their description. Otherwise, they'll be fielding phone calls and returns from disappointed/pissed off customer's.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

to: "hot rod ta hell" Summit has started selling sheet metal but only wants suppliers that give them special deals, not really care about fit or quality, they got a deal on the mis made stuff and that was ok, Summit never bothered with speaking with high quality USA suppliers like ems,

this why you will find EMS AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS sold by only the most reputable dealers. notice Chinese importers are always selling some kind of deal( try calling the factory in china and see what happens and ems will always label our products with our name and phone number, next year in 2019 the owners of ems will celebrate 100 years of involvement in automotive body building.

as far as the questions by "hot rod ta hell" we have no interest in making these parts. but other new stuff is on the way from ems

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well since you chimed back in EMS, does your tool box/trunk repair part fit the 39-40 tudor sedans? I know pics can be deceiving but they look a bit short. If it works it could save me a lot of time, and I did note that it says "...with slight mods." If you don't mind sharing what those are anyone else here doing this could benefit.

Beyond that, do most just eliminate the tool box and run the "streetrod" floor stuff? I could see body mounts being an issue were that the case as there's 2 of them back there. I have a real clean OEM tail panel already, currently soaking in the molasses tub to clean the surface rust from it. I'd like to hit the ground running on this job and have everything I need in hand before I start.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UP is selling a 32 coupe body and now truck cabs as well as some later truck, Mustang and Bronco stuff. Real Deal is doing 40 cpes with Carpenter. In this case 2 and 2 equals, uh, 32?

Thanks anyways...

18. rc57

rc57

See if they'll send you another pair so you can cut an weld to correct length.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was looking for that a cpl weeks ago when I was getting those braces. I dunno why it didn't come up in a search, but thanks for the link. My technical concern is rear body support. It sits right as it is and I don't want to lose that. I know I'm taking a big serving of fab work to correct the area, to maintain the fits I have will be the goal.

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

===============================================================
    go to our web site www.emsautomotive.com and go to 37-40 ford tab and look under technical photos tab for that page , you will see a photo of the toolbox being installed into a 38 ford sedan

removing the toolbox ( trunk floor extension for chevy guys) will result in less torsional strength and then leaving the back side of the ems tailpan victim to road debris resulting in dings and dents from the inside out

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did see that, and I just took another look. I'd need #59, yes? So I guess the decision or question is whether the 1st "step up" lands on the frame rail, regardless of body style. I mean to say, or ask, will it need to be extended to the rear of the car? By all the info here on this topic I take it that the coupe tool box is smaller. Or, is it that the coupe decklid and tailpan are such a different shape, that's why the body support and trunk latch/catch panel doesn't fit. I should say I have no fear of the job, we just rebuilt the back of a J- Duesy body and re-skinned a Woods rear section. I just want to keep the decklid and door gaps I have. I'm also of a mind that good stuff is worth the time it saves instead of fabricating hole repairs from scratch. Why? It's a Ford, right?

So, do I cut the back side off and extend to the tailpan or does the OEM floor get extended to the new box? I almost think the 1st choice is it, or...

And I sincerely thank you and everyone else for your inputs.

22. ems customer service

ems customer service

it will work, how you start the job is up up to you, have fun, you will need two of them one to install and one for show during the story telling

5window likes this.