Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oil in Bell housing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SkyGod, May 26, 2018.

1. SkyGod

SkyGod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

Okay I messed up. I have a 1939 three speed manual tranny. While changing my tranny fluid, I was trying to get the last of the oil out of the quart bottle via a funnel from above the tranny. (floor was out) The bottle fell out of my hands and directly into the open inspection port on the top of the bell housing. I think about 1 or 2 oz. went in there. judging by the puddle underneath I think most came out of the drain hole on the bottom of the bell housing. I just want to get an opinion of how screwed I am? Thanks

2. adam401

adam401

Honestly if it were me I'd spray some brake cleaner with the tube on the can directly down and let that drop out too then run it but I dunno. Actually I would probably do nothing and just run it

3. If its a Standard Trans I would Pull the Tranny off the Engine
    and Clean the Clutch !& make sure you Get All the oil off of it

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

4. adam401

adam401

Yeah maybe that's the smart thing. I'm looking at my 3 speed in my coupe right now and it looks like it would be pretty hard to have sprayed the pressure plate with a squeeze bottle unless you were really trying but I guess its possible

5. aaggie

aaggie

I too would spray a can of Brake Clean down there and let it drain out the bottom. Any residual oil will be slung off be centrifugal force when you start the engine. It's a pain to get the trans out so do the other fixes first.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. SMART PILLS FOR SALE HERE......3 for a dollar..

bobss396 and prewarcars4me like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Agree with post #5. The mind can make problems seem worse that what they actually are sometimes. Save the heavy work for if it's really needed.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Would it better to depress the clutch while spraying the brake cleaner?
    Do the cleaning thing , let it evaporate and then drive it.
    You're probably good to go.
    Clean repeatedly, if needed.

9. BJR

BJR

Don't press in the clutch until after you start it. The disk is now compressed by the pressure plate, so not much oil will get in there. Unless you push in the clutch without the whole mess spinning, so start it first, then push in the clutch. Like said, spray with brake cleaner then drive it.

shawnsauto1 and Johnny Gee like this.
  10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I wouldnt spray cleaner all over my throw out bearing. I would just call everything well lubed. couldnt have been much oil, it fall straight down. Use a flashlight to look in there.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let it sit for three days, then move it to another bay in the garage and park your Harley over the oil spill. No one will question a thing.

Blues4U, Budget36, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  12. Mac VP

Mac VP

You’re probably okay. If you look down into the inspection opening, you’ll see that the pressure plate and the clutch disc are somewhat forward of this opening. You probably got oil on the throw out bearing mainly. It won’t hurt to spray some brake cleaner downward to rinse oil off that area. Assuming the drain hole with the cotter pin is clear, it will drain out there. I agree that I would NOT push in the clutch pedal before you attempt this, but that’s only to prevent any gear oil from wicking onto the disc. Let the area drain and dry out well before you start up the engine and attempt to operate the car.

Fabber McGee likes this.
  13. I like post 9. Good thinking. Do as he said and don't give it a second thought. You'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Probably fine with a carb cleaner flush or brake clean.

15. ever had a rear main seal leaking? still drove the the wheels off and it never had a clutch problem. drive it

sunbeam and trad27 like this.
  16. SkyGod

SkyGod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from New York

Thanks, I put away the stupid pills, spayed with break cleaner and let it sit for two days. It all seemed to drain out the bottom drain hole. seems okay.