Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is there a good online upholstery class?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

im thinking of learning the fine art of upholstery. Any recommendations of a course I can take?

2. Budget36

Budget36

Been some great threads here on the HAMB, never looked online for them though.

3. The upholstery social group had some great tutorials. I haven't looked in a while but my guess is lots of them have been killed by Photobucket. Bunch of very helpful guys there though that are quick to given advice when needed.

This guy is the best online source I have found for upholstery. He's in Mexico so no talking but very informative videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_8PUaXqvjSq3p1lYouXzQ

Other than that Sid Chavers has 3 DVD's on upholstery that I have heard are excellent.
    http://sidchaverscompany.com/DVD/dvd.html

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

I will order the Chablis vids as soon as I get my machine. That Mexican guy rocks.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

I am just beginning my upholstery journey too. I have looked over as many old threads and the upholstery social group has tons of threads (haha) there. These guys here have helped me a lot

JimSibley likes this.
  6. JimSibley

JimSibley

Thanks a lot. As always the hamb comes through.

7. He does. I was having all sorts of issues with my machine breaking thread. I had been given a ton of advice here and had taken the machine in to get looked at locally but was still having the same issue. I noticed he had the same machine so asked him about it he told to try a certain size needle and bam problem solved. Would have save me a couple hundred buck if I had found him earlier.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There are some good books out there and a lot of U-tube videos. Getting a good walking foot sewing machine and learning what needles & thread to use is important. I found an old Consew 206 on C-list and brought it back to life. The thing was used a long time at a furniture factory that closed down but it was still in pretty good condition. They aren't cheap though and they weigh a good bit. Getting used to a clutch motor can be a b!tch but a person has other options.

10. Problem with the hogring is it is set up as an industry site so you cannot access the majority of it if you are not a professional upholsterer. They don't want DYIers.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. trimmer79

trimmer79

Here is a good forum that I use for learning sewing the lucky needl. He has a YouTube channel also. For online video learning, it’s one of the best at techniques and explaining the do’s and don’t. The needed tools and materials needed to get the job done correctly. He has full videos you can buy. All online. Hope this helps you guys.
    https://www.theupholsteryforum.com/
    https://www.theluckyneedle.com/

12. brady1929

brady1929

Youtube does have some great videos.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've been watching and learning for several months ,I am still trying to find a machine I can afford. To be honest I'm getting tired of crawling under rusty hulks and welding with sparks down my neck . I think I may enjoy makin' em look pretty on the inside .

14. Learn to sew. And sew and sew and sew for miles.
    Think welding... buy the machine and weld and weld for miles.
    Lots of practice sewing your covers. The foundation below the cover is also important.
    It’s a hard thing to learn, just for a few projects in your lifetime.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Shamus and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

After returning from VN in '72, I started taking night courses sponsored by our Community College at local high schools. Took upholstery (late wife had a machine), welding, engine rebuilding, auto body/paint, carpentry, brick laying (got help building the garage),etc. Even took a fork lift course that helped with my 1st civil service job at the Ft. Bragg Ammo dump. Could turn a wrench pretty good but the rest not so much. Figured out real quick I wasn't very good at any of it but learned enough to know who to hire. Established a good relationship with the Community College over the years & they have been most helpful with tech advice/info. They still offer a lot of night & summer courses & generally low cost or free for seniors/vets.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom