Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Still called Burma road, its on the way to the dirt track "Salina Speedway"

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3141CDC7-1050-4A3D-BC98-8A49142DD747.jpeg Kinda curious if the name came before or after painting it blue?

3. @Tim On the first day I went to see the car Lanny’s wife Sally said that Lanny’s mother named it The Bachelor’s Button after he painted it blue...❤️❤️❤️

4. It's actually funny you bring that up. I drew this up a couple weeks ago and sent it to my sign painter friend. It is based upon the very fuzzy pic I have that Lanny gave me of the show board that is long gone. I don't know what was on the original board so I just put a few details. I plan to have another board with some of the old photos and the history of the car printed as well.

image.jpeg

The original at a show when he was still running the stock 4BBL on the car but had the tri-power in the display. This must have been around 1962 or so @Lanyard?
    image.jpeg

Oh, and the old SW fuel pump started leaking everywhere so I sent it to a guy in NY who put a new ethanol friendly diaphragm etc in it. I should have it back this week some time?

Attached Files:

5. That's the road we used back in the day. It was called the Burma rd. Sorry about my old dusty mind..

chryslerfan55 and 31chevymike like this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

The signage will make neat displays Mike - good job on the layout! Bet you can't wait to get the 'ol Stewart Warner fuel pump working again. Weather showing any signs of warmer times yet?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  7. Thanks Mike! Yes I am chomping at the bit for a drive. The weather has finally started to cooperate!

8. Well spring has sprung and the grass is growing along with everything else so shop time is limited.

I got the fuel pump back and installed and it is now leak free!

I also bought an old home-made trailer a month or so ago to haul the B.B. around to show it off. Of course like anything else it needs/needed work, ha! I repainted the wheels and got some new tires. I’ve got some new taillights and clearance lights to install and will re-wire it all for good measure. And of course check the bearings and brakes!
    2EC6A9A4-0B95-496F-9857-72E4A926863A.jpeg

I’ve also been on the lookout for some of these four bar spinner caps for the heck of it.
    B04A2645-EB77-459C-B998-F9538007D590.jpeg

I got this one at the swap meet.
    11A21C50-A104-4FFF-8647-FF9C3CA368A7.jpeg

And then I won a full set on eBay. I’ll have to mod the ones for the rear though as they don’t clear the axles dammit! The old wheels must be a little deeper? Oh well. 6A981003-509F-4919-B3BF-06A9883970F0.jpeg

The big news is that today I gave Kansas all the monies and now she’s legal! Just in time for the holiday weekend. We will take her to get ice cream this weekend if it kills me, ha! I put a little extra longer bolts on the bottom of the plate mount so I could run the antique tag but be able to remove it to expose the SA ‘61 plate when parked at a show or whatevs.
    5824BE5F-1EA0-439A-94AB-9DF7F3B6B77F.jpeg

I bought an extra one of these registration holders years ago when I got the one for the Chevy.
    AD361963-3B6A-45EF-9DB5-AA318F4CDBC1.jpeg

Anyway, have a great holiday everyone and hug a vet!

9. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Congrats on legality!

wooo hooo.

-Woog

10. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Now that you have a show trailer, bring the Button to Milw for the Cheaterama!!! I know where you can get free room and board.

11. Thanks Woog!

Hey that's a great idea! When is that show???

dana barlow, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  12. silverdome

silverdome

13. Congrats man, "enjoy it don't store it".

14. tire fryer

tire fryer
    from kansas

Congrats Mike!

31chevymike, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  15. Bring that baby to the HAMB drags

31chevymike, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  16. dana barlow, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Mid August. I will get you a date.

cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool! You could pull it with the merc or one of your pickups for good effect

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a well earned milestone @cactus1...congratulations...and what a wild set of caps...awesome on so many levels your build is...;)

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hittin' the streets, meets and finally, showing that 'ol hot rod off to folks who rarely see an original hot rod from the late '50s still in existence! Way to go Mike!!!

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  21. bct

bct

great job . congrats.

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  22. Yes the Merc is the plan eventually but some work will have to be done first!

Thanks Stogy!

Thanks Mike I'm rearing to go!

Thank you!

23. I was working on some house projects this weekend but decided I needed a break. I'm not sure why but I waited until it was about 94 degrees out to take her for a spin? Anyway, the first stop was the gas station to top off the little 5 gallon boat tank. She puked a little coolant there out of the overflow but not too much. So I decided to drive across town to the hardware store to buy some birdseed. Came out to an older gent giving her the once over and got the old " had one just like it" story. He actually thought it was a car he built as a teenager and sold to a local guy about 10 years ago? Maybe that one will turn up next, ha! (I hope not because I'm out of money and space :p.)

Anyway, a little hard to start when heat soaked but it was pretty darn hot out and we did make it back home!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I took my better 3/4s (wife) to get an ice cream later on after it cooled off a bit in the evening. @Lanyard did a great job on this car! It drives really nice and goes down the road straight! I'll need to replace the bushings on the spring in front as they are at the end of their life so there not much travel. I will also replace the old copper brake lines with some new conifer stuff that has the same look. I also need a larger fuel tank so I'll have to decide on something before too long.

Anyway here's a pic back at the ranch!
    image.jpeg

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  24. brad2v

brad2v

That's great. Love the pics of it "out in the wild", ie in the parking lot, and sitting in traffic. Good stuff

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That front 3/4 shoot is perfect man

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Everybody should see this photo more than once so..... 00F9BD5F-5802-4617-A6E0-A2FC3521F2A4.jpeg

27. loudbang

loudbang

Sounds like a fun filled day. :)

31chevymike and cactus1 like this.
  28. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yup. Still pissed at myself for missing that Craigs ad for this car.:D

It sure turned out nice! Drive the crap out of it for me.

29. Thanks man I like it too, haha!

I'll take you for a spin man!

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  30. silverdome

silverdome

Can't wait to see this at the HAMB drags. Maybe we'll get a chance to chat.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.