Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Furniture

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by ct1932ford, May 22, 2018.

1. What have you done with old Furniture?
    Here are some of the many pieces I have painted/refinished. Most of our furnishings are repurposed and/or restored. Again Lets see your creations.
    IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2504.JPG IMG_2506.JPG
    Made this bar from an old piece that once had columns on it. IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2509.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2513.JPG This last piece from 1780's was falling apart when I bought it. One of my favorites.
    IMG_2503.JPG

VANDENPLAS, 67drake, Lepus and 7 others like this.
  2. Here are a few pieces I have restored. The Church pew is Cypress and was shortened. The other pieces came from my parents had been stored for many years when I restored them.

IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2248.JPG

VANDENPLAS, Lepus, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.
  3. raymay

raymay

Queen Ann couch and chair that has been in our Family forever. As a kid I sat on that furniture and watch shows like Hopalong Cassidy and Mickey Mouse Club. I have owned and restored them the past 45 years. Small chair also restored. This one was from the May Furniture Company which was owned from the 30's to the 60's by my Great Aunt and Uncle. The rolltop desk belonged to my Grandfather.

IMG_3645.JPG IMG_3652.JPG IMG_3648.JPG IMG_3650.JPG

VANDENPLAS, Lepus, ct1932ford and 5 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Here's a Hoosier cabinet that was our winter project. My wife did the stained glass, while I stripped it (by hand, don't ask), made two doors, and added punched tin pieces to. This is usually were I do my art work (taking classes at the local college). The bottom photo is what it looked like when I started. I was going to just repaint it, but then I realized that it was Oak!! Hoosier Cabinet 2018 001.JPG Hoosier cabinet.jpg

5. I have always wanted to try that punched tin. That looks good.

ct1932ford, F&J and catdad49 like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks Steve, the hardest part is finding the thin tin. I bought some 18 gauge locally, but it was hard to work with because of the thickness. While in Home Depot I discovered large sheets of Galvanized that were much easier to deal with and reasonably priced. Pick a pattern/create your own as I did (with a Big C for Carpenter), add a border, tape to the piece (I placed a piece of thin foam board underneath) and punch away. I used a #6 finishing nail and a small ball peen hammer. There are some tutorials on the web and special tools, but I try to make do with what I have!

ct1932ford and F&J like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

I found a huge sheet of super thin tin at the local scrap& recycle yard. ( maybe 4' x 8'+). My last hard task on my wacko pink/red kitchen will be using the tin in each of the upper cabinet doors. Take out the raised wood panel, then use the tin with designs of 4 female faces of different eras on 4 short doors, and the 4 tall doors will be standing women of same various decades. Then painting the tin with copper spraypaint, then "age it", by going over that with brown wood stain?

I ran into a young cashier at a store who was doing nice sketches of things on slow days, and she is now doing the sketches of what I want. This is a pretty cool thing for me......to be able to "hire an artist"..

The sheet I found might be a problem because it has a faint pebble design pressed in? ...but is very, very thin.

I am trying to replicate a WW1 piece of trench art that was done on a large brass shell casing. That soldier used ads from a magazine of standing women, then held them over the shell to do like a tracing?

I have far too many ideas and not enough time/money... lol

ct1932ford, catdad49 and 55Deso like this.
  8. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I got this Arts and Crafts/Mission style rocking chair about 20 years ago. The rockers/runners were all rotten as if it had sat in water at one point in it's life. It had a nasty, dark, dirty finish that showed none of the wood underneath. I made sure it wasn't a Gustav Stickley piece and stripped it. It's just an old, no name piece of furniture. Not exactly sure of it's age. Then it sat until a couple of months ago, when I finally decided to tackle the restoration.

I hate sanding antique furniture, but that was the only way I was going to get the new finish to look good. I also learned how to upholster this chair from a Youtube videos.

Here's how it looked a few months ago, sitting on the reproduction rockers I had to purchase.
    Start 1.jpg

Here's the final product. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.
    Final Pic a.jpg

9. catdad49

catdad49

Nice Work, looks comfy.

ct1932ford and SDhotrod like this.
  10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

cedar chest 2.jpg cedar chest

ct1932ford and Okie Pete like this.
  11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

A little creation with piano legs added 20160123_165400.jpg

13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Another creation from different pieces sg3.jpg

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great thread with a lot of nice work! All this stuff stays local since shipping costs exceed the valve of many items. I saved this sideboard from a trip to the town dump. Some day I'll put it to use in the garage. Bob

[​IMG]

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Mark:

Very Nice work restoring the furniture.

My problem is I also like old things better then new things and that includes cars and homes.

Jim

ct1932ford likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

furniture_071_l.jpg

Not mine, just wanted to post the first Highboy on the thread. :)Bob

17. Our home is furnished in what I like to call Early American hand me downs.

I have refinished or rebuilt most of it.

Brenda & I have lived in the same home for 46 years and people tend to collect more & more until there is no more room, other people move and liquidate and there we are hauling more stuff home.

I'll take a few photos of some of our treasures when I get home. HRP

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    ct1932ford, Okie Pete and The37Kid like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

When I was in the home remodeling business the contents of an attic said a lot about the home owner. If it only housed suit cases and Christmas decorations they weren't staying there for long.

Bob

ct1932ford likes this.
  19. There is absolutely nothing in our attic except insulation. HRP

ct1932ford likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, some plywood over that can cure the problem, think of all that storage space! Bob

ct1932ford likes this.
  21. Cargo

Cargo

Bought this years ago at a yard sale. The folks said "Grandpa built this from scrap long ago and it had an inlaid top, we kept the top for a wall hanger and don't want the rest", I asked how much, "Two bucks", I'll take it. I was going to put a solid top on it but a while later it was stored in the garage, I laid a piece of glass on it and hmmm, that might work. I store my little things in it that I think are cool but what else would you do with them...? When we started having grandkids around I wanted to find a way to lock the drawers. Each drawer has a pin at the back that drops in to lock the drawer, I use a neodymium magnet to retract the pin into a pocket hidden in the crossbars with an acrylic sleeve to keep it in place. The pin retracts with a satisfying click when you hover the magnet over it and gravity lets the pin fall back in to place when you pull it away.
    fullsizeoutput_1b84.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1b83.jpeg DSC_0005.JPG fullsizeoutput_1b84.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1b83.jpeg DSC_0005.JPG

tommyd, 37hotrod, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's one I rescued from a dirt floor 3 walled shed on a pig farm. solid oak, but it had been wet and warped a bunch of the panels. 4 coats of paint and about 20 nails here and there to keep it together. had to build all new drawers and only used the fronts. took it completely apart and put it all back together after sanding.
    I like how old furniture was all built with joinery and few if any mechanical fasteners. this one only had 4 screws holding the top on. I've done a few others over the years but don't have photos.

if I was not a car guy I would be a wood guy.

dresser 10-28-2011 (1).JPG

23. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FF0A7E97-A3C0-4BE7-967F-28C4F579EE8E.jpeg Something I pulled out of a ditch , I glued it back together, added the boards for shelves and then some artwork

catdad49 and ct1932ford like this.
  24. Always wanted a flattop hiboy!

25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EA071E9A-793B-4B85-9FDC-75F842FEB6BE.jpeg Got it hung up and in use