Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this Model A a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jpgraphics, May 12, 2018.

1. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Seems like a car like that would have a lot of good work and good parts involved in the build. If I were selling it, I'd mention that. So, in this case, I'd pass on it. But if I was still interested and had money to buy it, I'd go see it in person before buying it. Plane flights are relatively cheap.

3. If it is listed on both coasts then I would think scam. And if it is listed at one price nearly twice what the other is I would say definite scam. But then again, I don't trust anyone anymore.

Andy and 5window like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Have you reached out to the seller and requested to speak by phone?
    Dutchess County and the Hudson Valley look to be an hour drive?
    If you're a serious buyer, speak to them then go look at it-take a big friend. The photo was apparently lifted and used as a scam in one of the ads. You have to find out which ad is legit.
    Or perhaps he relocated or listed it while staying in CA for a visit.. Says he's been on several 5000-6000 mile trips.

5. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Your average Craigslist scammer is going to pull pictures off the internet to use in their ad. I always like to do a Google image search on a Craigslist ad and see what comes up. In this case, you'll find a few $45k. Pretty safe to assume the $25k price isn't for real.

wvenfield likes this.
  6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Lost of scams going on, some people post ads just to waste your time and not profit, sick world out there !

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just contact them and say that you would like to look at it in person and can be there in a couple of hours.

After reading this add on the same car I am saying scam on the Craigslist add. https://carscoms.com/1929-ford-model-a-roadster-93160.html Not too many scammers are going to go into this much detail and offer a choice of wheels and tires.
    Feedback on other vehicle sales on Ebay by the California seller who lists it for 45 k says he is the real seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Ford-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Craigslist ad is a scam. You can tell by the way they only used part of the text from the carscom ad, and they only used one pic. No details on the car on CL, the other ad has full details. And the price difference is a give away, too. If they had of had the same price, then you might look at it further.
    A google search of the pic brings up the carscom ad, where it was stolen from.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I just emailed the seller for more information and told them that I want to see it in person and asked for a good contact number and address. Let's see what we get.

It is a scam.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Identical ad was on a local Wisconsin Craigslist and I flagged it and it got removed, it is absolutely 100% a scam.

Pretty car though, credit to the builders, shame those pics are being used for evil.

1927graham and Vanness like this.
  11. Vanness

Vanness

Saw it too. Passed it over. Scam all the way. There is another for 9500. Same thing...

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

13. Bugguts

Bugguts

I noticed it on Iowa craigslist too. Seemed too good to be true and more than likely is.

14. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

So explain to me how these scams actualy work. Are there people stupid enough to send a deposit on these cars sight unseen, and then the seller just disappears????? Or does the seller setup a meeting place and robs you when you get there?????

15. belair

belair

until you put eyes on it, it has the potential to be a scam.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It is the day after I emailed the seller and no contact what so ever. The scammer's crack me up. They think that they are slick and they do get some people. They do need to be found and pounced on!

17. mkubacak

mkubacak

18. mkubacak

mkubacak

19. That '29 roadster ad has been around for 9 days on both coasts with one picture.
    Thats a scam!
    The pick-up is the same.

20. I used to flag all the scams on CL.
    Now there are so many I don't have time to bother!

porkshop likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

They will ask for a deposit or to get paid for the car by Moneygram or something like that without the buyer ever seeing the car. Never any contact between the two parties. They will give a name and address for the Moneygram payment but it's not actually theirs and you don't have to have ID to collect it. People do fall for it, mostly overly-trusting people who aren't real computer savvy, or people motivated by greed who think they're getting one over on someone else.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@The Shift Wizard posted another ad of the same car...is that one legit...its 45k with a story? I do sometimes post a link with the pic in threads so those that like the pic I posted can go to the ad as there are more pics many times...I certainly don't post it to aid in getting the shaft however...that sucks and if the add Shift posted is legit why aren't they arresting the scammers?

I guess the bottom line is communicate have it verified legit then start the transaction.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  23. clem

clem

Both scenarios have been known to happen...........

And also as per post 22, which is probably more common.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scammer just wants someone to send payment or a deposit. Even better for them is someone in another country gets all excited and sends a deposit.
    The guy who actually has it for sale appears to possibly be a flipper. He has great feedback from about 20 cars he has sold on Ebay if you work your way though the link to the expired Ebay add I posted in post # 7 on the same car for the same buy it now price.
    Best thing is to find someone to go check it out or ask on the board if anyone in the area the car is supposed to be knows of the car. I know that some guys are scared the beat hell that if they post anything someone will go out and beat the to the rig but that is still better than being scammed.
    I drove out a couple of years ago and took about a hundred photos and a video of a truck for a guy who had contacted me. Turns out I have known the owner and his wife since I was in high school and the truck was legit. I gave my honest opinion and pointed out what issues it had which were many bed wood that was shot and body work that needed a day with a long board to go from nice driver to hell of a nice driver quality. Guy bought the truck for his dad and had it shipped to Pa and was happy as all get out with it.
    They "hey I know a guy in that area, can I have him run by and take photos and check it out for me" thing will let you know that the advertiser is a scammer real quick as you will either get a real vague answer or no answer.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apologies @Mr48chev I see you actually listed that link also verifying some of my questions and I just noticed that.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You were probably searching the net while I was posting Stogy.

27. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

It was on CL locally to me. I recognized the car from Ebay too... seemed odd, but I contacted the CL add and never heard back. I also contacted the Ebay seller and poof it disappeared from ebay instantly! My friend also says the same CL add up in IL. The car is again relisted on ebay for $45,000.-

28. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

Thanks very much for all the responses, guys....it pays to be just a wee bit smarter than when I posted the question. I did want to start a conversation about this stuff, though, as clearly it is and will be an ongoing trend.

JP

29. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sweet car though.
    High clearance wheels on all four corners.

Rich