Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric GILROY, May 23, 2018.

1. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

is there anyone here from texas? I am trying to find what kind of car stuff is going on in texas

2. High percentage of the Hamb crowd is from Texas.............BUT..............Texas is a big state, you'll have to be a little more specific area wise, or it's like asking the Massachusetts guys what's going on in N Carolina.

55styleliner likes this.
  3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Yes, and what kinda car stuff you looking for?
    I forgot to add that since it’s Texas whatever it is, we will say it’s bigger and better.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just talk to Ryan!!! I am Butch/56sdedandelivery.

5. Like it's the nucleus of the HAMB....along with those of other great cities/states of car resurrection that's going on......

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, Texas is spread out more than a little bit. If you drive from Amarillo to Houston, the short route is 598 miles. If you take the scenic route though San Angelo and Austin to Houston it ends up being 730 something miles.
    From El Paso to Texarcana Is 813 miles. When I was in a club in Waco in the 70's we had a guy from El Paso beat out some guys from Memphis for long distance by about 65 miles.

55styleliner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

around dripping springs and austin area? looking for a house with a shop around 3000 to 4000 sf on property

55styleliner likes this.
  8. Lordy Lordy another Californian headed this way!!!!
    Kidding!

slim38, HunterYJ, bobkatrods and 3 others like this.
  9. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

Lol I don't blame you one bit. I CAN'T stand 90% of Californians either .

Sky Six and 55styleliner like this.
  10. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Lots of stuff in the Austin area. There are several cruise-ins like Cars and Coffee, Pistons on the Square, etc. There was a group that met at Cabellas regularly, not sure if they still do, I am north of Austin. Lots of great shops in town too. Customs and Hot Rods of Andice builds some of the finest cars in the country. Martin Bros, Rex Rods, Austin Speed Shop, Mercury Charlies to name a few.

11. I am a native Californian and am moving to the North Dallas area when I retire in December. Not to worry, in my politics Limbaugh and Levin are a little too left wing for me. And El Paso is half way between San Diego and Dallas. Texas is a pretty big place.

rfraze likes this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

How you going to get a shop and house on 3000-4000 sq feet of property? :confused:
    A 50x100 lot is 5000 sq feet.

13. I think he means a house, a shop around 3000 to 4000 sq feet, on "property"..... Meaning some land.

I'm just guessing though.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

El Paso is actually closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

rfraze likes this.
  15. Yep. And Reno Nevada is further west than Los Angeles.

Blues4U likes this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

People are leaving this state in droves, many of them headed to TX, as well as AZ, NV, UT, ID, OR and WA. Not to get political, but more native born American's leave CA every year than move to it. The population of CA increases solely because of immigration (& new births). I personally know of about half a dozen friends that are either in the process of leaving, or have just recently moved out of state.

17. And Toronto is further South than Minneapolis!

Blues4U likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

See, there's another one. I don't blame you. I would've moved to TX in 2009 when I had to cover the southern part of the state for a year, spent 1 week a month there, and loved it. I could've taken the territory permanently. But the wife is a California girl, born and raised here, and never traveled out of state much, she really doesn't even want to think about moving. So the company moved another co-worker there instead. He LOVES it, he couldn't be happier.

19. Rusty

Rusty

You need to visit that area during rush hour, you will never want to come back

20. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

I'm right there with you on Rush and Levin. I can't even start to explain what has happened in our small town of Gilroy.

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Gilroy, Los Banos, and other areas used to be so nice and open. I'm a native Californian who saw the light and now I'm a happy Arizonan retired.

22. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Yep California they all drive 32s and eat tofu burgers lol !! welcome to Texas It will be nice to leave Taxes behind

23. rfraze

rfraze

Kellers on Saturday.

24. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Welcome to TX. There’s plenty of car stuff going on around that part of the state.

25. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

A big positive of the migration to this area is the car culture explosion. Custom builders, cruises, tracks, clubs and hotrod lifestyle events are around every corner now it seems.
    Motor Austin www.motoraustin.com and Hill Country Car Culture magazine https://m.facebook.com/hillcountrycarculture/ are good sources to get you started.
    If you aren't dead set on Austin/Drippin', spread your search to the Austin/SanAntonio/Kerrville/Fredicksburg quadrant where the car culture runs deep.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago a buddy who was a geologist drove to a new job in Houston from SoCal. When he got to the Texas New Mexico state line he was only half way there! Yes, Texas is a big place.

27. exterminator

exterminator

I know there is a lot of cars and car guys in texas but what is the negative? Tornadoes,bad weather like heat.....? I was hoping all the car bashers move to other states and leave us car guys alone here in Ca. As a veteran i like freedom (and Rush). Happy Veteran's Day everyone!

hotrodtodd1960 and jnaki like this.
  28. XXL__

XXL__

My property taxes in Bexar County are 8x... yes... EIGHT TIMES what they were in the east bay. EIGHT!!!

55styleliner likes this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

We lived in Houston and Dallas and really liked them both. Great great Mexican food and miss the Chicken Fried Steak at Ma Goodsons inTomball. If I wasn't transferred I'd still be there. I'd highly recommend Texas to anyone thinking about moving there.

Gary

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  30. I've lived in Texas for 67-1/2 years and wouldn't live anywhere else!!!

HunterYJ likes this.