Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GMC 305 V6 Exhaust Rap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Arias 3rd, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Nick Arias 3rd

Nick Arias 3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aromas, CA

Hello H.A.M.B.ers-
    I've done gone and purchased a cherry 1962 GMC 1500 with the bullet-proof 305D 60° V6. I'm fascinated by this engine and the brutal amount of low-end torque it produces.

My question is - has anyone here modified their 305's exhaust system to produce the same "rap" as most inline sixes (270, 302, etc.) with split manifolds? If yes, how? I compared the firing orders of the inline's vs. the V6's, and figured my 305's cylinders 1,2 and 5 go into one pipe and 3,4 and 6 go into the other. Think this will work?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick III.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like a lot of unnecessary exhaust pipe and routing to get a certain "rap".
    Some have said that even the 235 Chevy and 302 GMC engines didn't have quite the same sounding exhaust note as a split manifold on the earlier 216 Chevy. Seems to have to do more with the configuration of the combustion chamber than anything else. I would simply route the exhaust in the usual manner and maybe play with different mufflers, no mufflers, and/or crossover pipe. You might get a snappier rap with no crossover.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  3. Nothing?
    This place used to b funny.

BigDogSS likes this.

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

A V-6 will always sound like a V-6 no matter how the exhaust is routed.

5. LOL- Your "new "crew might be able to rap, but can they set up an exhaust system that "rap's?
    And what part of the strip do you find such technicians?

iwanaflattie likes this.
  6. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I put true duals on my 200 cu. in. v-6 in an OT '79 chevy. It didn't sound like a inline 6 but did sound good...different but good. Oh and I used short turbo mufflers.

7. I think they can "hook" you up with the right peoples¡¡¡
    Go north of the strip,LV blvd @ Washington,youll find my crew there...under the bridge

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nick, I have one of those also, in a 65. Did you try it and see perhaps?

9. NOTE: do not let this engine run hot or overheat.
    I put cherry bomb mufflers on mine and it DID not sound like an inline 6....
    Now if you had its big brother the 702, that sounded like an Allison.....

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

302's didn't rap... Too big...the best were 216's short mufflers and 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" exhaust tips.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No need to plumb the pipes differently. A split inline six's 1 2 3 cly is equal to 1 3 5 of GMC cly and 4 5 6 inline cly is equal 2 4 6 V6 cly if you study the firing order of the two engines. So no, you'll not get what your looking for. But if want something different sounding. Plumb some headers 180 degree like the intake manifold.

finn likes this.
  12. Agree with no crossover.

Ben

13. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

@iwanaflattie -- your graphic really is hysterical. Just thought I'd let you know.

Now at this point we're getting a little bit over my head, but I suppose that if that engine hooks up with a racing tranny it might also be appropriate to say, "Yo, whaaaaa's sup, my shift dawgz . . ."

I just don't know for sure -- help me out here . . .

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can't honestly help you on the GMC "sound", but are you of the same Arias family of "Arias Pistons" fame? I'm thinking you are, but I just had to ask. Nice looking old truck by the way; why can't I ever find anything like it? I am respectcfully, Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

For what it's probably gonna cost to get the rap you'd like, you should trade in your 305 core and get this 305 GMC with a rap you'd definitely like even better. 8^) Jack E/NJ

305gmc.jpg

16. samurai mike

samurai mike

we had a 305 on our sawmill with swingset straight pipes. cutting lumber one day and the governor malfunctioned causing a wide open situation, it had some "rap" for a few seconds then the "rap" was all rods!

caseywheels and belair like this.
  17. When splitting the exhaust into duals on the gmc v6, it will sound like the sbc v8. You'll want a inline 6 (L6) if ypu to try to achieve the "rap" sound.

I installed cast iron dual exhaust manifolds on a 230 in my old '63 C10, with a set of smitty mufflers. It barely made the "rap" sound after reving it.

18. I had a late 60s chevy pickup with a 292 inline, 4 barrel and Clifford 3 into 2 headers. Front 3 into one collector and back 3 into another. Ran 3 inch exhaust all the way out the back and it had more of a bark than a rap but sounded exquisite!
    It wouldn't take much to just run a pair of straight pipes out the back, under the chassis just to get an idea what it'll sound like. You could always do a nice job of it later if it sounds like you want.

19. redo32

redo32

You wantah hear rap? When I was a wee-little lad my brother in law had a Corvair with dual glasspacks. We lived a mile apart and I swear you could hear him leave the house. A buddy built a set of 180 degree headers for his 283HP FI Nomad. Almost sounded like a 6 going down the strip.