Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283nutcase, May 24, 2018.

1. 283nutcase

283nutcase

What slicks were available in 1966? And yes I did search other threads and couldn't find anything.

2. RmK57

RmK57

These are what I would have run.

racemaster.jpg

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Depends on the class or lack of a class. Still a lot of re-cap slicks around. Vulcanized caps on a regular carcass. I have a set of Co-op country squire carcass with cheater tread caps vulcanized on. Of course guys with money could get the purpose built M+H's or Good Years. I use to run #9 firestones. Lippy

4. squirrel

squirrel

they work good. I set my car up to be pretty much like 1966, sort of, and that's the tire I use. this pass is a 10.09

[​IMG]

Stogy, AHotRod, loudbang and 6 others like this.

5. 283nutcase

283nutcase

This is for a modified production car.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. Jim - That is such a pretty shot. Launching straight & level. What is your 60 foot time? This summer the '57 goes to the track. Hope to leave like you do.

Stogy, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Here are just a few of what you could buy in the mid 60's
    Jimbo

Casler Cheater Slicks.jpg M & H Tire Company Unbeatable Bite.jpg M & H Tire with tiger in the middle of tire.jpg M H Racemaster circle.jpg M&H Racemaster Tire Feature Winner..jpg Racemaster Tiger.jpg Racemaster M & H Tire.jpg

8. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

One of the best ways to weed out opinion is with a vtg magazine collection.. if you buy a number at a time they can be cheaper then new/modern and in a lot of cases much better..

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Here is another company that made slicks in the 60's
    Jimbo

Hurst Cheater Slicks.jpg Hurst Cheater Slicks.jpg

10. Towel City makes cheaters too. Look them up,Nice too

Stogy, loudbang and 283nutcase like this.
  11. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Here is Towel City Cheater Slicks. They produce piecrust cheaters also. towel-cheater-slicks.jpg

12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What Jimbo posted!

Pat

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

283NC if you want to run slicks on a 61/62 Corvette you have to keep in mind the overall diameter. The M&H tires available today are not the same as the ones available in the mid 60s. I have a new set of M&H from the 60s (at least never been spun-but have some checking) and they are 7.50/15. They are 8” wide and about 26 7/8” tall. The problem with 61/62 Vettes is that the dogleg interferes with tall slicks. The M&H available today in 15” I believe are 29.5 tall which is really close to the dog leg (and 7” wide I understand)- I believe they would be really really close to the dog leg and unless you move the axle back you may be regretting your purchase. I wish they would recreate the original 7.50/15 M&H tires from the 60s.

I have some Hurst pie crusts and they are right around 27.5” tall and I just bought some Towel City pie crusts and they are 28” tall. There is only ¾” from the tire to the dog leg. Theoretically 29.5 would be against the dog leg-depending on the height

There is a solution if you are building the car. I am trying to get back on a build I started of another 62 Vette and I intend on putting a Pontiac rear and moving the axle back and hopefully go with M&H even though they are 29.5 tall. If you do that 003.JPG 004.JPG you may avoid some of the issues with ordering a size that may not fit when it comes time to mount them.

Here is a pic of the new Towel City slicks that are 8” wide and 28” tall and a pic of the original 7.50/15 M&H on Ford rims. They were allegedly on a new 66 Mustang that was never raced but you know how stories go.

14. I got these original Inglewood Pos-A-Traction 10" x 15" new/old slicks (never been on a wheel!) on ebaY several years ago. They are recaps on big passenger car tires. The carcasses have different whitewall stripes, same size, different brands. I put Port-A-Wall wide inserts on them and used them on my Mysterion reproduction. These are probably pre-66 since I think M&H and Goodyear had taken over the market with new properly designed tires by then. Still feel very lucky to have found them for my Mysterion. They are authentic. The ONLY slick with the dead flat sidewall.

! rear gas door.jpg
    1.jpg tires rear.jpg P1010455.JPG

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. 283nutcase

283nutcase

Thanks for the link. Guess I over looked it.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

So, when did the GoodYear Blue Streaks come out????
    Just curious.....

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I forgot all about this company.
    Jimbo

Inglewood Tire Service.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  19. Gosh towel city had some cool stuff..wish they were still producing some of those items...M & H Racemasters seem to be the logical choice

20. There was a company in the 60's called Bruce slicks. Bite by Bruce!

AHotRod likes this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I don't know when they started making them ,but I bought a set of 7" slicks from J.C.Penny in the summer of 68. They had their name on them. Probably made by someone for them. They worked good on my 65 289-271 hp Comet Cyclone stock eliminator car.

AHotRod likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...licks-start-going-out-of-favor.1052239/page-2

Hello,
    This old posted thread above has a lot of background because of its popularity. If you read old copies of Drag News, it gives a historical perspective of slicks for drag racing. First, Bruce Slicks, then M&H took over and that was it. Different versions from other companies popped up similar to the tire wars of the Indy car racers. But, M&H remained what most would suspect, "the King..."

Jnaki

http://wediditforlove.com/Marv.html this article explains the M&H story quite well.

As far as cheater slicks, this photo pops up often.
    upload_2018-5-26_5-49-40.png
    The guy was a salesman to the Nth degree. He sold his cheater slicks out of his fancy Cadillac sedan at Lions almost every week. When we were in the Lions pits from 58-60, we could not get over the fact that this guy was there every time we parked our car(s) in the pits.

So, we were amazed that in the background, there is a B/G primered 1940 Willys Coupe with a 671 sticking out of the engine compartment. This is one of the rare shots available that I found of our 40 Willys Coupe that my brother and I built from a junker in the weeds. 671 SBC 6 Strombergs and Bruce Slicks.

Yes, we could not resist, we did buy a set of cheater slicks from this guy for our 58 Impala. They did not work as well as the Bruce Slicks, so we sold the cheater slicks to a friend.

THANKS, Rruss

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Stogy and AHotRod like this.
  23. I am lucky to have a very rare and scarce Bruce Slick decal. I would love to find a pair of original Bruce slicks for my coupe to use at car shows. This photo is not to be used to make nostalagia decals/stickers please. Just for your viewing pleasure only. IMG_1123.JPG

Stogy and bowie like this.
  24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The more I look the more old racing slick companies I find!
    Jimbo

Bite By Bruce's.jpg

Stogy and AHotRod like this.