Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early OHV Engines

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pkhammer, May 24, 2018.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

For years I've been planning to do a Model A pickup build. I sold my '42 Ford p/u last year and if I'm ever going to do this I need to make it happen. I like to be a bit different (my '42 pu ran a 428 FE/4 speed toploader) and the early OHV engines from Buick, Cadillac and Oldsmobile really trip my trigger. I love the look of the Nailhead, but have an opportunity to score a '64 Olds 394 and/or '55 331 Caddy cheap and close to home. I'm leaning toward the Caddy because of the cast-in bell on the Olds.
    I really think I'd be happy with any of these but would like some opinions from people that have experience with them. I know there are others that have fans like the early hemi but the scarcity and cost of these engines is prohibitive. I know the sbc came out in '55 and one could make a list a mile long why it is the best choice but I only need one reason to go another direction, everybody (almost) has one.
    Here locally there were plenty of wrecking yards around where most any of these engines could be found but when the price of scrap went up a few years back, MANY of these cars got crushed. The number of these early mills that are still out there is dwindling daily. We need to save as many as we can while we still can.
    In any case, I'm getting off track here. I plan to keep the engine mostly stock and run a juice tranny. I think 300ish horepower is aplenty for a 2500 lb car. Smooth, dependable power is #1. I want to be able to jump in this thing and run down the interstate at 70 all day long. Thoughts?

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Well I love both the olds and the caddy mills, neither lack in power and torque but for versatility I would go with the Cadillac engine because if your planing to run an auto in your car instead of a stick you can get a bellhousing adapter from speedway motors that doesn’t cost 1200$ and it lets you run any auto trans that bolts up to a sbc if you’d like me to follow up with the price and parts number of the adapter I can

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think you are right about the Cad being easier to install and lighter than an Olds. A 365 would be nicer if you had one. As I remember the starter on the Cad did not interfere with the steering like the Olds did. Or you could hold out for a Buick. 364 and up. Maybe even thing about a Lincoln. Hard to go wrong with a Classic V8 choice IMHO

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Either would be a good choice. The Olds is bigger and heavier but more potential HP which is probably not your first priority. The Cad is way cool and will do all you want it to. They were known to get very good mileage, low twenties on the hiway in a big Caddy sedan. Better than a Chev or Ford of the time.

I'd go with the Caddy.

54vicky and ls1yj like this.

5. pkhammer

pkhammer

I did notice the starter on the Caddy was on the right, out of the way of steering. The 394 Olds in still in the original car that I'd have to tow home and pull but hey, maybe that's a plus. The Caddy is pulled and sitting on a warehouse floor ready to go.
    As far as trannys go the later 700 or 200R4 is appealing because it'll allow a lower rear gear. I plan to ditch the banjo in favor of a '57-'59 9".

6. I’d go with the Cad,,,just because I’m unashamedly prejudice.
    And the starter being on the right can be a pain in the arse down here where we drive on the correct side of the road.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the late 1950s,as I was looking for a OHV V8 of some type for my hot rod build,my first pick would of been Studebaker with a 4bbl,but what I did find that was low mileage,was Ford Y-block Thunder Bird from my good buddy's Dad,airline pilot for Eastern. He had crashed his 57 t-bird,it was still behind his house growing tall weeds more then two years later. So I ask,at the right time it seems,he said I could have the Y-block V8 if I got the rest out of there !! I used it for my highschool hotrod,my first sweethart. I have kept it,still drive on good weekends. Only thing about anything other then SBC,is others cost more for upkeep and race parts are harder to find.
    I handmade my own intake 4x2s an a number of other parts. 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Deuces, dan c, warbird1 and 11 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ls1yj, bonesy, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  9. I like Dana's Y block as I also have one in my '30 sedan but I would go with the Caddy.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. pkhammer

pkhammer

I can vouch that the Y-block Ford is a rock-solid and pretty power plant. When I was 15 my dear old Dad bought me a '57 Ford shortbed big back window pickup for my first set of wheels. It had been updated with a 312 and dual exhaust and glass packs. I drove that truck thru high school and never had trouble other than grenading the trans trying to speed shift the 3 on the tree. Later in life I bought a '60 Ford F250 4x4 292 powered work truck that was a nice runner as well. Thing is I haven't had one of those dropped in my lap lately like the Caddy and the Olds have been.
    The 331 Caddy and the 700R4 is the way I'm leaning.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Unless you have another reason for wanting an A/T?...the low end torque of those 50s engines like the Cad, even barely off idle, lets you use a lower numerical rear end without any need for an OD.

Each of us should really think about where the car will be used most often, mine is rarely on the interstate, but it can handle 70 all day with the 3 speed non-OD stick with 3:23. Around town rural driving and city stop and go, the big low end torque of my 55 Olds 324 is just plain buckets of fun. I'd head for the old folks home if I had to run an A/T! :)

DSCN0142.JPG

dana barlow, ls1yj, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  12. pkhammer

pkhammer

I'm finicky I guess. My '42 was a 4 spd and so is my '64 Falcon and sometimes I guess I'd just like to relax and drive and not worry about shifting gears or holding is a clutch when idling around a show. My wife also doesn't know how to drive a manual and complains that she can't drive the cool cars. I'm not ready for the nursing home yet, just want to try something different. Heck, I might decide I want a/c too! :D

ls1yj and zzford like this.
  13. 73RR

73RR

How cheap is the Cad?
    Have you rebuilt an early Cad or Olds lately? Compared to the Mopars they a very similar money when they roll out the door. Just about any early/mid fifties engines (exc sbc) will be expensive to rebuild.
    If you want something dead reliable and a bit of a head turner then look for a Chrysler Spitfire or, since you had a FE in a previous ride why not look at the MEL 430 ?

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Cadillac has the additional advantage that they were a popular hot rod engine in their day, the most sought after before the Chev V8 came along. This means there was a lot of speed equipment made for them and it still turns up from time to time.

The Olds 394 also had a certain vogue for those who wanted a large displacement power plant. They were extremely strong and the only engine that could give an early Chrysler hemi a run for its money in top fuel, without blowing up. There was a time when Olds 394 was a top fuel power plant, then better tires came along, the Chrysler horsepower advantage put the Olds out of the race.

It was possible to bore and stroke the Olds to 480 cu in and a number of these were built for gas class racing, speed boats and a few ran on the street.

The point is, the Olds excels in strength and durability which is not a big consideration in your case.

15. pkhammer

pkhammer

Since they are both readily available and cheap I might be smart to just pick them both up and save for a rainy day.
    I liked my 428 FE powered '42 but fuel mileage was dreadful. I'm not a big fan of the FE design or look so if I want a Ford in a Ford I'd probably lean toward Y-block engines.
    The Olds I think I can pickup the whole car for $800. The Cad engine for a few hundred with original fluid trans.

16. 42merc

42merc

If you are looking at a Caddy (or Olds) that has been sitting for any length of time, be sure it turns over--make sure it turns 360 degrees.
    If it is stuck--IT'S STUCK. Don't think a bottle of Coke, or a bucket of cat piss, or any other magic sauce will free the motor. From then on it gets REALLY expensive.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Now you're talking like a real hot rodder!

18. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I run a Y-Block in my '30 Coupe Avatar. I have built a new eng. that some day I will put into it. I will try to post pic. of the new eng. I am running a C-4 automatic in the coupe.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kadillackid like this.
  19. Y-block not cheep to build either
    IMG_1454.JPG

but it was a lot less then my hemi

IMG_1356.JPG

20. pkhammer

pkhammer

Now yer talkin! Love those headers on that Y-block! The Hemi I can only dream about. What's that in, '65-'66 F100? I'm not loaded with cash but the fact is if the engine costs $3,000 or $4,000 or whatever to go through I really don't care, it'll be worth it to be running a rarely seen vintage mill. I had a ton o cash in the 428 FE but when that beat up homely old pickup sat at a rod run among 3000 other rods it'd stop passers-by in their tracks. Had a set of ultra rare Dan Gurney Special cast Cougar valve covers on it which didn't hurt.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  22. pkhammer

pkhammer

I see those Hemis in/around Winchester, Va. $1000 for stuck engine sitting out in the rain most likely became a boat anchor the first winter it was sitting out.

23. Here is what I have found and II have done lots of them
    small block chevy $1200 to build
    302 Ford $ 1400 to build
    500 Cadillac $1800 to build
    Fe 360-390 $ 2600 to build
    Y-Block $3000 to build
    390 Cadillac $4200 to build
    Hemi $8000 to build
    this is why people run SB Chevy
    prices are parts including pistons and machine shop work (bore block, press rods, deck, poss line bore) no assembly labor

24. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Well, if you really want a hemi and an automatic I have a '58 392 hemi that's apart and about 90 % machine shop and parts complete. I even have a vintage wilcap adapter to a SB mopar 727 and i think enough here to build a nice stout transmission.

I'm just saying.

Cliff Ramsdell

Stkman likes this.
  25. I love the hemi there just not cheep to build. Even things like aluminium valve covered$450 or intake manifold for the 53-55 with the thermostat in it 2X4 $1100
    What do you want for yours

41 coupe likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

27. I used this 'cause I just don't know any better. 20180401_130347.jpg

Hnstray, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  28. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yeah, what you want with that ol' antique Hemi anyway. When you get tired of it and want to replace it with a sbc let me know.
    Decision has been made and I appreciate all of the input. I called the gentleman today that owns the 331 Caddy to make a deal and he asked "what do you plan to do with it?". I said put it in a hot rod pickup. He says "well in that case I'll just give it to you!".
    I have enjoyed reading all of the replies. I love seeing the pics of all of the Hemis, Cads, Y-blocks etc so keep 'em coming. Here's a shot of my 428 FE I had in the '42. I shoulda kept those valve covers! :rolleyes: IMG_2959 (1).JPG

AndersF, dana barlow, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  29. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Is that a pair of Cougar GTE covers? yes, very cool. Had a 68 XR7 back in the 70’s and it was quite a lot nicer than its Mustang cousin.

Cliff Ramsdell

30. pkhammer

pkhammer

Was told they came off a late 60's Dan Gurney Special.

Deuces likes this.