Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Frame Brackets to Cut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, May 24, 2018.

1. Hey Guys, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm hoping for a little clarification. I have a '30 Model A frame that I am prepping to get blasted and boxed. I am about to cut off the fender braces, but I am unsure about the brackets ahead of them. In the picture I attached there are three brackets. I think the left and right brackets are for the cowl and hood and should remain, but what is the small center bracket? Can I get rid of it? Do I need the other two brackets? If it helps, I'm planning on building a Hi-Boy.
    Thanks!
    -John

Attached Files:

• ford.jpg
      ford.jpg
      File size:
      203.1 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

The ones that face sideways are for the old mechanical brake rods. You won't need those.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...unless you're using 'mec-panical' brakes, that is.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  4. before sandblasting, i would drill out the rivets on all of them and weld nuts on the inside to make them bolt on. you will be surprised how much rust is underneath them

patmanta and 117harv like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^ Good idea! ^^^

6. Awesome tip!

7. Thanks!

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

When I removed mine, cakes of rust and crud fell out. They tend to pool moisture and collect dust, dirt, acorn shells, and pine needles from what I've seen.

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

If the 30-31 Front Cowl unbolts from the cab the same way a 28-29 does, then this picture will help you. If you cut off the Hood Shelf Bracket neatly, you can probably sell them to someone that is wanting to put fenders back onto their Model A. ford.jpg

MrHavard and patmanta like this.