Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's a basic lacquer paint job cost these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pat59, May 23, 2018.

1. Nothing crazy or show stopping. body and jambs, no major work. little filler here and there. I know often times the body men find hidden stuff after they get started that ups the price. But what's a basic job going for in 2018? Chime in, what's your thoughts?

2. belair

belair

Didn't know lacquer was still available, or at least in lots of choices. Are you talking just paint or paint and labor?

gimpyshotrods and pat59 like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lacquer is still available in Kentucky.

Gary

pat59 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. "Basic" lacquer ????? not in this day and time..

zzford and pat59 like this.

5. Yea paint and labor. Give the shop your car and have them do the job.

6. I would guess about the same as any paint job. Prep would be exactly the same which is the time consuming part and good lacquer is not cheap and you use a lot more of it than modern materials so material costs would probably be the same if not higher. The beauty of it though is it is almost fool proof so much easier to do yourself. Here is my garage sprayed lacquer.
    20170903_102235.jpg

quick85, Paint Guru, The37Kid and 7 others like this.
  7. flip

flip

Type of car will effect price (roadster, coupe, sedan, fenders/no fenders, color - red more expensive). Last one around here, 35 3window, with fenders minor body work, prime/block/paint/buff in the 11-12k range. Was reddish BC/CC. I’m with others on lacquer. If you can get it should be cheaper.

pat59 likes this.
  8. Well.... I had a hell of a time getting a quart of it for a 54 Kaiser Darrin I was working on...was informed PPG isn’t producing it anymore.. the others have gone away from it too..

Heavy Old Steel and pat59 like this.
  9. BigEd

BigEd

"I'm Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car, any color for $19.95. No ups, no extras."

tofords, Nitroholic, Montana1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

I had my '59 Chevy PU painted at MAACO with my paint, they took 50 bucks off the 399 price, I did a majority of the prep, had the bed ready to move back when I got there, no emblems, so for roughly 350 bucks they masked it, did finish sanding (probably SOS pad, but I was fine with that to get it clean) sprayed and baked it.

Came out better than I'd have been able to do, heck those guys do nothing but spray all day.

This was about 8 years ago before I sold the truck, but just bringing it up since I see they are have a "399 special" right now in my area.

Wouldn't hurt to call them.

Might even save some bucks to walk in, maybe find a guy willing to do a side job.

Reminds me, HF has the 20oz purple gun on sale for 7.99.

dana barlow and pat59 like this.
  11. rockfish

rockfish

I had my '53 Studebaker that was rust free and pretty straight done as a side job in black BC/CC for $4400 including all supplies and time spent on panel alignment. Car was delivered to the painter in primer and he prepped and shot all jambs as well. Studebaker coupes are known for poor panel fit from the factory. Hood and trunk are also louvered which added to the work for the painter. It's been 3 years and the car still looks great. It's not a Ridler quality job at that price but it's a great looking job. I feel great about the price I paid and the quality I got in return.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    vtx1800, kidcampbell71 and pat59 like this.
  12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got this email last week from a buddy, inviting us up to help him pull the emblems, etc. It’s an OT 1968 Chevy 1/2 ton, has lived outside in either Kent or Anacortes WA for its whole life. Just for reference. He’s providing usable doors. Everett is probably just a bit cheaper than Seattle, which is getting close to the prices you’d see in SoCal or Frisco.

“ So I talked with MAACo in Everett who did the last paint job 10 years ago, who did a very good job for about $1000. They are going to replace the doors which are rusted out, repair the rusted rocker panels, fix all the dings/ rust spots and paint inside and out, returning Chuck to its original two tone paint job ( white cab) with better paint for $5000......
    The price at MAACO requires I pull everything off the outside- which would be more fun with a buddy or two if you were available. “

pat59 likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What country?

pat59 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

$400 to $11,000

:)

There are just too many variables. Talk to some guys who can do the work in your area, see what they say. We have no idea what they'll say.

rockable, j3harleys, Roothawg and 8 others like this.
  15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nice !

pat59 likes this.
  16. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I painted cars many moons ago. A "basic" paint job means the finished product will not be to your liking nearly every time.

sleepchamber, KevKo, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  17. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

How long is a piece of string ?

da34guy, Black_Sheep, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

The real question is: How straight is the string, and how straight does he want it when done?

19. Budget36

Budget36

Twice half it's length.

neilswheels likes this.
  20. I paid $3000 in 1986 to have a 51 Cadillac coupe painted with acrylic lacquer. I pulled all the trim and stripped the entire car down to bare metal myself. That felt like a lot back then.

pat59 likes this.
  21. cometman98006

cometman98006

Don’t know about laquer but Maco of Bellevue Wa did my truck same color top and bottom for $2000. Custom mixed colors and included sanding out several runs on the previous paint. I’ve gotten two best paint trophies with the new paint job.

sleepchamber and pat59 like this.
  22. [​IMG]
    One can of color is about $30 from Somewhat racing. (Summit) Autozone carries it, too.
    Thinner, primer, tape, sandpaper, more sandpaper, $300ish.

That's all for hard numbers. Is there a body man you could get to look over your car? To find and identify trouble spots. Work takes time, that's billable hours. Ask how long the body man expects the job to take based on what the car looks like. It's the only way to really know what the job will take.

23. Just so your calculating paint cost correctly- the duplicolor lacquer above is packaged as "ready to spray" and that means you're going to need a lot more of it. And above is a 1qt can.

Also everyone has a different subjective concept of what QUALITY is and where BASIC falls on that spectrum. However if you were use the current OEM showroom as a bench mark there's a better chance you'll both be on the same page, right? Is your idea of "basic" above or below or equivalent that level of quality??? If the idea of basic is equivalent to the level of paint job on the dumpster, can you see the unhappiness that might cause?

I've found that just 50% of guys wanting their hot rod painted are happy with a OEM showroom equivalent paint job. The other 50% want above or below that level and that 90% of the latter half are out of touch with cost reality. That leaves 5% who want and are ready to pay for a really nice paint job. In the last 5% are Some guys who really just want the the dumpster job.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  24. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

25. 31-
    Yes, it's a quart, the op showed a car that was not large. I'm probably off on my number.
    You are so right on many points. You get what you pay for.

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

A few years ago I painted a Vespa scooter with that same ready to spray paint, it was the metallic silver. It is very thin, and you'll need a lot more than you think. I ended going through 3 quarts of color and 2 quarts of clear on a little scooter. It came out looking really good, but it was a lot more work and a lot more paint that I planned on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pat59 likes this.
  27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I'm surprised that MACO will do the kind of paint jobs mentioned above.
    Is that true of all MACO's?

pat59 likes this.
  28. It took me 4 gallons of paint and 6 gallons of thinner (I reduced 150%) to spray the truck in my avatar. You use a LOT of material spraying lacquer. As I mentioned material costs are not going to be much less than an equivalent quality urethane if not more.

pat59 and chevy57dude like this.
  29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Why would you want a lacquer paint job, when today's paint is so
    much better and won't crack?

Gman0046 and pat59 like this.
  30. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The Maaco I worked at in the 90s was about equal to the average guy with a rattle can, and we called our "Bodyman" the Butcher for a reason. I worked there long enough to learn the worst way to spend $400. I mean they only allowed us 20 minutes a car for sanding, when the time was up it got masked if it was ready or not.

I hope things have changed, but I'd be careful. It was common for the Butcher to weld panels under tension on the frame rack, then bury it in bondo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pat59 and zzford like this.