Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. And "Trim" you did, Pete! Guys, I don't have a shot of the engine compartment; but Pete recreated a masterpiece. This car, as well as many others of the Blain collection will be in "Exhibition" (on the tracks) at SVRA's event at Sonoma Raceway in a few weeks; SVRA's event at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in July and at Watkins Glen in September. The drivers and riding mechanisians (not mechanics) will be in "Period Dress" (not Nomex and full face helmets). And, of course, they'll be at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion in August. And Pete, my last (and persistent) "jab" at you is: "Get YOUR car together and come play with us!". LOL....JK

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Looking for opinions please. Is the axle assembly in the first photo Miller-Ford?
    Art C..jpg
    Comparison.jpg

3. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Fairly sure it is. Who's the guy with Art?

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just realized the nose pieces for those cars look like a vintage Ford tractor. Were they made from one? Or are they aluminum?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. A friend of mine has one of the Miller-Fords. It appears to me that the body panels have all (including the nose cowl) been banged out by the metalshapers! As I read the history, the knock on the cars was that they were underpowered and the steering box was placed too close to the exhaust manifold (which burnt out all the grease). It's said that they were rushed into service with no time to work out the "bugs"! My friend's car (he occasionally runs it in vintage races) had a tendency to overheat as many Ford V8 flatheads do.

chryslerfan55 and 63fdsnr like this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

8. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

9. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Historian Kem Robertson stumbled across some Miller-Ford pictures on Facebook. He took a close look at them, and compared it to the image of Art Chevrolet from the Wayne State University archives. Kudos to Kem for connecting the dots. I was familiar with the WSU image, but never put 2+2 together.

Great question there Michael, but I am afraid I don't know. Perhaps Ford historian Robert Casey has an answer. I plan on e-mailing him the images, and see what he says.

Wouldn't that be a hoot if that were the case? My dad went to Fordson High School in Dearborn, so I have sentimental reasons for wishing that were true.

Old Dawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Here is a film of the 1935 Miller-Ford effort. Art Chevrolet is seen at the 1:38 time mark.

Old Dawg, chryslerfan55 and jimdillon like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for answering the question that came to mind, think there is a photo of it in your driveway with a new radiator somewhere on the HAMB, or was it there when Debbie and stopped by for a visit? Bob

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for an excuse to show another tid bit that has been on the shelf for 40+ years.:) Bob

DSCF8592.JPG

13. This is an in-car-video shot from a '35 Miller-Ford of a warm up/practice session at the 2008 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. There are some unfortunate comments made by some YouTube viewers who didn't understand that this was NOT a race. The crew of this car were still struggling with several problems (mainly cooling) with the 21 stud Ford "Flathead"!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice video! Far better from inside a car that watching in the stands. See you in August. Bob

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

34741800_219869022133978_470763312250880000_n.jpg 1923 Monza G.P. ...

Old Dawg and 63fdsnr like this.
  16. Was that car banged up before, during or after loading? Maybe it even was done on the track!

The37Kid likes this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Kinda' depends on if it is being loaded or unloaded.o_O

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The driver was killed in this car.An Alfa P!. The number 17 was never assigned to an Italian racing car again.Driver : Ugo Sivocci.

The37Kid likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very sad that the driver was killed in that car, but interesting to learn that the #17 was never used again, just thought I needed to explain why I hit the like button. Bob

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

That's the trouble with the "like" response. Generally speaking it means we agreed or truthfully "liked" a post. However,there are those times,like this ,where we feel the need to acknowledge the sentiment but "like" is the simplest response.When we do...we hope we don't give the wrong impression of our response. Yes,Bob...I know what you mean.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Bob, I've never hit the UNLIKE but thought of it and thought my reply above was more fitting.

Bob

23. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Sorry Bob, but that's one of those 'facts' which has been passed down as true when it isn't. Admittedly there wasn't a #17 in the 1924 Italian GP - but that's because there were only twelve entries. In the same race in 1925 Santoleri's Chiribiri carried 17 ... etc ... etc ...

However, the number is generally considered unlucky in Italy - just as 13 is viewed elsewhere. This is because the Roman numeral XVII is an anagram of VIXI, which in Italian means 'I have lived' - or in other words, 'I'm dead'. Italian buildings generally don't have a 17th floor, hotels don't have a room 17 and if you were ever to fly Alitalia you'd find the plane doesn't have a seat 17. And Renault even changed the name of the Renault 17 to 177 for the Italian market: [​IMG]

The37Kid likes this.
  24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. However, if it is unlucky....why would the driver/owners choose to use it for the '23 GP?

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

26. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Presumably they weren't superstitious?

27. Track Rod

Track Rod

I see that on page 339 of this thread, there was quite a discussion about I.M.C.A. driver Jimmie Costa. Much of the mystery surrounding Jimmie Costa and his Fiat has now been uncovered: http://KansasRacingHistory.com/tripod/Costa/Jimmie-Costa.htm

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  28. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

:):):):)

Excellent!

As usual, Bob, you have again uncovered a lot of very interesting information about a rather obscure driver from a century ago. This is great stuff, and I'll need to find the time to go over my records, and see if I can add little titbits of information, just to show my gratitude.

Many thanks!

29. Track Rod

Track Rod

Thanks Michael. I'm glad that you like it. I know that I really enjoyed doing the research and learning a lot in the process. Yes, anything that you can add to it would be greatly appreciated.

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You racing historians fascinate me. Thanks