Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jim Street Golden Sahara?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dooley, Apr 19, 2010.

1. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

dooley..sorry i forgot to go look for a reply from you!
    the car was untouched, but still nice! dont know exactly was Jim's plans are!
    -palle

2. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Does any one know what did happen with the Dan Landon Chevy? Was it repaired or recustomized? Evel do you think George would remember!!!

3. U-235

U-235

If Mr Street is in his 80"s, you can be rest assured you'll never see them in his lifetime. If he's as ecentric as whats been mentioned on here, theres probally a medical reason for that and there is no cure....unfortuneately.

4. Rikster

Rikster

Mr Street is a Perfectionist in everything he does.
    If he shows something it needs to be first class.

The Golden Sahara and Kookie T as well as other cars in his collection are unrestored and time has taken its toll. Paint has faded, cracked and flacked, chrome and gold plating gone dull, interiors damaged by rodents etc.
    The GS and Kookie kar are in relatively good condition, at least thats how most of us would see it. But for Mr. Street they are not in what he considers show condition.
    He has a long lasting "love affair" with these cars spending many years building them and showing them around the US, making sure they looked at their very best. After their show career he still took very good care of them, but these cars have been sitting for over 40 years now.

Mr. Street just feels it is wrong to show these cars in the condition they are now. When these cars where show around the US they were the best of the best the current condition of the cars would change this reputation. They are Mr. Street's cars and it is his decision.
    He understands that there are many people out there, including me who would love to see these cars in any condition. But the perfectionist in him is not making it happen... at least not now.

A couple of month ago I have spend a week with Jim Street and his wife, and all I can say is that they are really great people. And I do respect his choice for not showing these cars in the condition they are.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    drdave, rodncustomdreams, 'Mo and 2 others like this.
  5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Rikster, any idea if Mr. Street is planning to have these or one of these restrored?

6. glassguy

glassguy

thanks rik! at least it clears things up for me in my mind now!! and i can stop wondering... btw luke is on his way here and we are going to pick up the new k/i cant wait!!!!!!

7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Where are the additional wreck pics, Piero? You PROMISED!!!! haha

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Thanks Rik! It does make me feel better knowing that it is a "respect for the cars and the artist who built them" deal and not a "screw you kids!" kinda thing.

LGW13 likes this.
  9. RAGJR

RAGJR
    from Florida

I have sat back and read all of the negative and bad comments for along time about Jim street.I have know Jim for over 55yrs. and he is one of the most talented,individuals you could ever meet and if he is your friend he would do anything for you.The "GOLDEN SAHARA" and "KOOKIES CAR" were way ahead there time.If both of those cars were built today they would be in style,50 yrs later.So please stop all of the "B_ll SH_t and when Jim ready to bring the cars back out into the public,he will.

rodncustomdreams and LGW13 like this.
  10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

And, WELCOME to you sir. Nice first post. Maybe post an introduction, so we can all formally say hello. Stu

11. Rikster

Rikster

thank you!

12. Does he allow his friends to see the cars and have you seen them? I would sure love to see the Golden Sahara, as it was my dream car for years, as I saw them as a kid when he toured them around the east. Way ahead of it's time with the electronics..

13. oldsmobilecutlass72

oldsmobilecutlass72

I know I'm a little late but just wanted to add that my dad Ron Reigelsperger worked on both the Sahara and kookies car at a shop here in Dayton, Ohio. the inside of the Sahara is covered in leather and has mink carpet I still have a piece of the mink that was left over. anyway I met George with my dad a few years back and we talked for close to an hour about the two cars and he invited us along to view the cars at a later date but unfortunately my dad passed away and we never got to go see the cars. however George did tell us that the cars were still in the custody of the same owner and were in a secure, temp and climate controlled storage facility and that he was not allowed to say where they were. my dad said he had been told that they were in a security building in west Carrollton near the railroad tracks, anyone familiar with west Carrollton should know of the facility I'm talking about. we did have many pictures of the cars to include my dad doing a burn out in kookies car in the shop after the boss had left which lead to his being fired and then rehired the next day. he had many stories

14. oldsmobilecutlass72

oldsmobilecutlass72

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>:D I know I'm a little late but just wanted to add that my dad Ron Reigelsperger worked on both the Sahara and kookies car at a shop here in Dayton, Ohio. the inside of the Sahara is covered in leather and has mink carpet I still have a piece of the mink that was left over. anyway I met George with my dad a few years back and we talked for close to an hour about the two cars and he invited us along to view the cars at a later date but unfortunately my dad passed away and we never got to go see the cars. however George did tell us that the cars were still in the custody of the same owner and were in a secure, temp and climate controlled storage facility and that he was not allowed to say where they were. my dad said he had been told that they were in a security building in west Carrollton near the railroad tracks, anyone familiar with west Carrollton should know of the facility I'm talking about. we did have many pictures of the cars to include my dad doing a burn out in kookies car in the shop after the boss had left which lead to his being fired and then rehired the next day. he had many stories

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Bringing this one back, any word on a resto being done? There was talk that Jim was shopping for builders to bring the GS back....

16. Oneshotstriper

Oneshotstriper
    from Indiana

I would like to know that as well.

17. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

18. LGW13

LGW13

It was Jim.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. LGW13

LGW13

Golden Sahara has been in storage since the late 60's. It was not there.

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Interesting to go back and look at this thread...

Franco I want my original art here’s your pics! Haha-

Can’t wait to see more of this-

Attached Files:

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

just re read the whole thing..in light of current events it was pretty cool

22. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Ready to hear 'the rest of the story..."

Attached Files:

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I was reading thru this vintage thread and smiling with everyone’s comments back and forth. I know there are other threads on the subject, but felt this response needed to go here...

The cars were stunning to see in person. Was very cool to see that vintage carved Norm shifter knob on the Kookie Kar.

Anyway. Someone else owns them now...

Attached Files:

egads, LOST ANGEL and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I watched the Mecum auction in a live stream on May 19. Golden Sahara II went for $350,000 and the Kookie T went for $440,000.